Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Filter Element

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Filter Element
    Posted: 28 Nov. 2013 at 12:37am
Does anyone know what the correct fuel filter ceramic element is? I've checked the parts list to no avail... is there a specific part number or size? I know there several options for the fuel filter... I will take information on any...

CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2013 at 1:01am
I don't know what or if they came equipped with from the factory but here's the Carter I have on my 3A

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2013 at 1:03am
Here's a similar thread from the 3A page with other examples

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2013 at 3:03am
Oh for goodness sake.........just PM ScoutPilot.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2013 at 10:23am
The only fuel filter that came standard from the factory was the firewall mounted fuel strainer placed in MB's and the GP series. For your after market Carter Filter, I would need to know if it is the short one or the tall one. The filter elements are out in the shop. Patience and after 0700 I'll send some numbers your way.
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2013 at 10:05pm
Thanks guys, I knew there were several different types...I just have no idea which ceramic elements they use. I believe I have the filter which is similar to the one in Ryan's picture (it's definitely not the short one). Damar, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place Big smile...

CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2013 at 10:13pm
When you get a chance, put up a pic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2013 at 5:08pm
I have these, and all spare parts for them, in stock. Top three are Carter. Bottom two are AC.
Choose the one you have.
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2013 at 7:35pm
It's definitely one of the top two, I'll confirm exactly which one when I have a chance to check. I apologize for my delayed responses lately, just been rather busy around here Confused...
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2013 at 7:37pm
Join the club...
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2013 at 10:43pm
I think I have a V.I.P pass to that club. Anyways, I was wrong (unfortunately nothing new )… the two I have are the smaller AC ones, not even sure if they're the corrects ones...

CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2013 at 10:49pm
The one currently without the drain-cock looks like it might be correct?
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2013 at 10:59pm
You are correct. The one with the valve is for a tractor application. I thought there was a blockage in the opening. Closer inspection of the photo shows threads. PHEW!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2013 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by CmK CmK wrote:

The one currently without the drain-cock looks like it might be correct?

That one sure looks to me like it will work. The other one, that may not be a drain cock but an on-off valve. That one looks like it goes on the bottom of a fuel tank, like on a tractor or something. I might have a use for it if you don't.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2013 at 4:28am
I just grabbed the photos quick with my phone and didn't even notice the bottom inlet/outlet on the other one... good catch guys.

Rick, Would you happen to know the proper element for the smaller AC filter (pictured) instead, disregard the ones I mentioned earlier? Big smile

Bruce, I might hold onto the other filter for now, but if I change my mind in the near future I'll definitely let you know...

Thanks guys...

CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2013 at 10:15am
Would you like paper, cheap, still very available and easy to replace, or Foam-like, harder to find, more expensive but more period correct? 
briarpatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briarpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2013 at 3:24pm
Don't mean to hijack the thread. I have a modern plastic in-line filter just before my fuel pump. The 46 runs good. I do have a fuel filter like those pictured. Rick, should I delete the filter before the pump and install a glass bowl one at the carb? Would it need any bracing? THANKS for all the help!!!!! - Stan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2013 at 3:26pm
NOPE. Keep it and add the filter at the carb. Belt and suspenders approach to clean fuel. Ceramic removes finer particles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>