Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bronze Inner Windshield Wing Bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bronze Inner Windshield Wing Bolts
    Posted: 17 Dec. 2006 at 11:17am
Bronze Windshield Wing Bolts

I bought my 2A, no. 20394 from the original owner 30 years ago.The inner windshield frame was replaced with fixed glass. It has the bronze wing bolts for the windshield pivots. These wing bolts are the same double shouldered bolts as used for the inner windshield adjusting arms.
My Question is: Did Willys use the same Winged Bolt on the early 2A for the windshield adjusting arms and the pivot?

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2006 at 12:34pm
Alex:

No.  The pivot bolts only had one shoulder.  Do you want to sell one or both of those?

I had only one adjust arm wingbolt.  I think they are brass, not bronze, but then again, I don't know how to tell for sure.

Sean
Alex D. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2006 at 5:52pm
Sean

You may be right about the Brass, I do not know how to tell either. All I know is that Bronze is a copper/tin alloy and brass is a copper/zinc alloy.

I would like to hang on to the original items to the jeep. I will move them up to the windshield adjusters where they belong and put the proper wing bolts on the windshield pivots.

This brings me to another question.   Were the windshield pivot wing bolts plated, or painted black or body color. 
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2006 at 11:44am
Alex:

I don't blame you.  So far, yours and mine are the only brass/bronze wingbolts I've heard of.

If you SHOULD decide to part with them, give me first dibs?

Based on period photos, I think the pivot bolts were painted body color.

See the photo here -> parts & colors

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2006 at 7:57pm
I heard that the early slatgrill Military Jeeps had brass/bronze windshield hold down clamps, and Bill Oaks has mentioned these on the early 2A. could these be something from that time frame???
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2006 at 8:15pm
Gary:

I knew some military rigs had brass clamps, but hadn't heard of them being used on 2A.

I don't think MB/GPW used a double-shouldered wingbolt anywhere, but may be wrong about that.  If not, then they're not carryovers from war production.

Both mine from 16279 are brass (one has 2 broken wings though), and now that Alex has come up with a set, I'm more convinced that mine are original.

Conjecture here:  brass may be what was used on first lollipops w/square nuts?  Would have to collect more data points from people w/early lollipop windshields.

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2006 at 8:21pm
Looking at the very early passenger seat hinges I wouldn't dought that other things like these could well have been done. I seem to recall that the military thumbsrew windshield pivots had a hole in them for a chain that went between the pivot and the bracket so that they wouldn't be lost. Alex's thumbturn doesn't have any hole for the chain.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2006 at 8:44pm
I thought the drilled holes were field mods?  Originals just used a wire clip around the waist of the wingbolt, so it would still turn freely:

MB chains
    GPW chains

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2006 at 9:33pm
Sean,
Again, you RULE!!! It's been along time, I only remembered the chain part. Embarrassed  My M38A1 has holes in the helicopter lift ring pivots, with the chain, so maybe I got my military Jeeps mixed up. Embarrassed
This would be a great addition to the "Parts Project" hint, hint, That way it will be here for some one who knows some more to solve this riddle. (not lost in the everyday forums) 

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2006 at 10:47am
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

I thought the drilled holes were field mods?  Originals just used a wire clip around the waist of the wingbolt, so it would still turn freely:

MB chains
    GPW chains

Sean

How are these chains installed on the MJs?  I suppose if I had a set in front of me I could figure it out but I don't know anyone local to me who owns a WW2 jeep.

Edit - Nevermind, I found a pic on the web.

Edited by Cammer - 25 Dec. 2006 at 10:49am

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

monte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2008 at 1:51pm
In regards to the wing  bolts ...I too just renovated a pair of them ( they're in excellent condition but I have need of the six starred compression spring (one only I have one)

anyone that has one I'd be vey .interested
"Stump Jumper" Colorado ex-patriot...
"If it don't leak it aint a Jeep"
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2008 at 1:57am
I think only the early GP's and GPW's had the Brass Windshield lock ups.  I have three sets.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
monte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2008 at 1:14pm
Johnnybravo...Do you have one of the "star" compression springs or a pair maybe?

Would you part with one or a pair?
"Stump Jumper" Colorado ex-patriot...
"If it don't leak it aint a Jeep"
CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2008 at 11:06pm
While fixing my inner windshield I removed paint from wing bolts (curiousity took over
after reading this topic) and voila! Brass/bronze. #196169
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2008 at 11:40am
Monte...I will look...give me some time
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2009 at 3:45am
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Both mine from 16279 are brass (one has 2 broken wings though), and now that Alex has come up with a set, I'm more convinced that mine are original.

Sean

Was playing in the barn yesterday and found a set on a early 46 column shift and they had no paint on them....
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2009 at 12:06pm
The wing bolts on 13396 are brass.

They look just line the bolts in Sean's pic.

They are covered with several layers of paint; including harvest tan.

I broke one recently.  :(
chris

2A #13396
 Post Reply Post Reply