Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cold weather use!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 12:42pm
47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 2:44pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNmWZ_s4tWw

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
SDLars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDLars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 3:00pm

-12 yesterday afternoon. Pretty stiff turning all that grease and 4wd but she didn't miss a beat.

Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 5:22pm
Great bit of news there jpet! Excellent video. Thanks everyone for showing me your Willys' in the cold. 
46 CJ2A 29488, Harvest Tan, Sunset red wheels.

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 6:06pm
In my experience, the only limitation of the jeep is speed. The only limitations in cold weather are that of the driver. In my situation, there is no heater but the engine does produce some heat.   Lots of air leaks. I have pretty warm blood so as long as I keep my head, feet and hands warm, I can stay comfortable in sub-zero temperature. I've driven 25 miles at -6 degrees. My hands were the only thing that were uncomfortable because my gloves were not insulated enough. There is a lot if air flow up by the windshield. I now have a better set of gloves. Also, I recommend covering your nose and mouth so that your breathe can warm the air you are breathing in. If I breath in cold air long enough, I get a headache.

I'm sure everyone's experience is different depending on the options your jeep has and how long you are driving in the cold. My situation is Canvas top, no heater, 25 mile drive, -6 temperature. It's been said that a "well maintained" 6 volt system will start as good as a 12 volt system. I don't know if GW has what you call a well maintained system or not. Basically, I don't even think about the starting system. I just expect it to work and when it doesn't I fix it. No preventive maintenance.

Regarding the -13 video. GW was in the barn all night. The barn is unheated and unattached. Most of the night it was -9ish but at 8 am it was -13. I waited for the temperature to get at its coldest before trying to start. Even though it took a few tries to start, I blame that on a fuel problem; not a cold problem because sometimes GW acts like that under startup even when the temperature is 50 degrees. I've just been too lazy to look into it because he always starts eventually.

Edited by jpet - 06 Jan. 2014 at 6:12pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 6:18pm
I might add that most of the airflow comes in across the top of the windshield since the canvas is just fastened with 10 turn buttons. I suspect a 3A/M38 would be much better since it has a channel and the top has coping.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I also noticed that truck, what about it mike?

Jim
Hi Jim

Here is the link to the rebuild that I started....this truck is gonna be crazy fun to drive...NAPA auto parts has just about all the parts I will need for it...not 4WD but still gonna be a cool looking 1960-62 ish Willys truck sheetmetal....interstate roadway friendly to boot...not gonna get run over when I try to drive it either...old truck smell too...:)

my goal is to mount the cab this spring...working on the brake lines now...

Thanks for asking...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 6:44pm
Thanks Mike,   I will be watching your build, sounds like a good plan.  I have a 48 Willys 4 WD truck quite complete and planning on restoring it starting this year (a New Year resolution) when I get this 47 CJ completed.  There is just something about those Willys trucks and wagons that have appeal.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 7:45pm
I think I would seriously freeze to death in weather like that.   It was 12 here this morning with the wind chill around zero. Saturday it was around 70. This morning was the coldest day in 3-4 years.   I started my F250 about 30 min before taking the kids to school. (I know - very wasteful and not very green friendly!). I was a little nervous that I didn't plug it in last night but it cranked fine. I did notice that it idled higher than normal for the first 45 min of my 1.5 hr commute and you could hear the turbos more.

I do love to snow ski but that is way different than wrenching on the Jeep or driving it without a heater. Do you block the radiator with card board or something to restrict the airflow?   

I just read that many flights at DFW are delayed due to frozen jet fuel. Wow. 112 in the summer is miserable also but we can still function.   12 not so much.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Carsandguns Carsandguns wrote:

I think I would seriously freeze to death in weather like that. ....
. I hope I don't sound like this is a "day in the life". This is record cold for us. Last year there was only one day that got to 0 degrees.

Quote Do you block the radiator with card board or something to restrict the airflow?   
. I didn't but that is a good idea.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 8:42pm
No not at all. This is extreme weather for all of us but you guys certainly got it worse than we did.

Different areas have their strengths and weaknesses. For example up until the embarrassing Super Bowl mess TXDOT had only a hand full of snow plows in DFW. They have bought more BUT not nearly enough for us to be able to handle a serous snow storm. I don't think I have ever seen a snow blower except for on TV.   One of our main problems is we rarely get just snow. Usually winter storms are ice first then snow. The last storm we had before Christmas the ice was 3-4"+ thick. They were using road graders with what looked like iron spikes welded on to try and break it up. The sun would start to melt the ice but it stayed below freezing so what we ended up with was a glaze of super slick ice that was hard to even walk on much less drive.

I love the videos of you guys blazing through the snow drifts. That looks like great fun.
Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 9:39pm
I block off the lower 7 to 8" of my radiator this time of year. This picks the engine temperature back up from 140 to 180 to 190F. 

Just on a different note I love the way my KJ CRD fires up in the cold weather. It requires 2.5 seconds of preheat, cranks a little longer than normal then fires up with enthusiasm! It makes a great noise is you like diesels Big smile

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2014 at 2:01am
About 7* F earlier today with a windchill in the negative zone.  She isn't a stock much of anything, but it is all Jeep.

Snow duty...  The rear winch and rack (about 200lbs total) add a nice ballast and made plowing much easier.

same jeep different top.

1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416
Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2014 at 12:58pm
Rough and ready, love it!

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2014 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Old Boy Old Boy wrote:

For being a pieced together mess essentially, it is pretty rock solid reliable.  

I do think the ethanol in our fuel is starting to monkey with the rubber in the carb though.  It started running very rich recently and fouling plugs.
1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2014 at 2:40pm

Hi Guys, I am interested in just how low a temperature you operate or have operated an old Jeep? Here in the UK I use mine in the winter but it only drops a few degress below freezing. Plus I keep it inside over night so it doesn't have to start in freezing conditions. 
It totally depends on how good your tecnique is with the ice scraper-for the inside of the windshield.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by jeepfreak81 jeepfreak81 wrote:

For being a pieced together mess essentially, it is pretty rock solid reliable.  

I do think the ethanol in our fuel is starting to monkey with the rubber in the carb though.  It started running very rich recently and fouling plugs.
Holey family Jeepfreak

I am in love with that Willys Jeep of yours....me being the patina hound that I am...yours is a classic for sure...yes I agree with the carb issues...sometimes a can of "seafoam" will help with your fuel troubles....

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2014 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by jeepfreak81 jeepfreak81 wrote:

You may be needing to keep the choke closed for a longer time to aid in the warm up, that will cause some fouling of the plugs. There are also a few other things to consider. 
1. If you are running a WO, there is no rubber in it.
2. If moisture is condensing in the fuel it could be freezing in the carb passages and/or the Venturi.
3. Make sure your heat riser valve is functioning correctly.
4. If everything is right, then you may just need hotter plugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>