Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fall Color Tours 2014! - Event Date: 22 Sep. 2014 - 27 Sep. 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Fall Color Tours 2014!
    Posted: 05 Jan. 2014 at 10:23pm
Welcome to all you Flatfender Fans!  It's time to make plans to join the 2014 CFFC Fall Colors Tours!  This year we'll hit the peak of the fall colors during the week of 22-27 September!  I would like to personally invite all of you reading this to join me for a grand week of making memories, taking photos, driving Willys Jeeps, and sharing some comraderie with the best folks on earth - other Willys owners!  

For those who have never been to the FCT, what kind of colors are we talking about?  There's an example below. 

As always, we'll open our home to everyone who attends.  Camping is available here on the Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  There's lots of great hotels, motels, and B&B's in the area for those who prefer some comfort overnight. 

What in store for us this year?  I will explore some new ground again for this year, and I'm thinking about a "two-pass" ride that will take us over the Continental Divide and back again on a day-long tour.  We'll also experiment with a Willys First Aid Kit containing some spare parts to keep us ALL on the trail and moving. 

If you've never been here then we'd like to welcome you to a great experience.  Just ask our returning Willys Wranglers.  Its the best time you'll ever have with your Willys!!  So mark your calendars and start making plans to be here!  

Edited by m38mike - 06 Jan. 2014 at 3:18pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2014 at 10:38pm
Count me in!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2014 at 10:39pm
Unfortunately I couldn't edit the above post to make it complete, so I'll add the photo that was missing to this post.

This is the kind of color that we look for on the FCT. 

Also I'd like to credit Haines Garage with the photo of me in the first post above.  So pack your bags and get out here to the Thirsty Dirt Ranch for the adventure of your lifetime.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
RealDeal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2014 at 11:44pm
Count me in! What hotels are closest to the daily launch point?
1949 CJ2A #219707
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 12:28am
M38mike, count me in as well, and will bring plenty of spare parts, very much looking foreward to the trip, I have not been to the great state of Colorado in many years, and have never been to your area. I will also need hotel info.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 5:46pm
Welcome Realdeal and Lee!  We'll be glad to have you along with us this year. 

For lodging the Buena Vista Chamber of Commerce has about 30 places they list in our valley.  There are a few listings for Twin Lakes and Leadville.  Avoid those only because your commute from there to the Thirsty Dirt Ranch would be a long one.  For something very close to the ranch, look for a Nathrop address.  Here's a link to the BV-CoC lodging site.

Here is the link to the Salida Chamber listing of hotels and motels.  These are about a half hour drive from the Thirsty Dirt Ranch. 

And as always we'll have the campground set up on the ranch for those who want to keep costs down and have the gear to sleep outside.  I did set up a tent for a trio of travellers last year who did not have the gear to camp.  If we need to we could do that again.

Jpet had the most unusual camp setup last year, and one that worked very well - as long as the wind didn't blow too hard.  I'm looking forward to see what improvements he makes to it for this year!  It was quite the setup with 2 private bedrooms, a full kitchen, a fireplace, and a patio where folks collected in the evening to join voices in song. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 10:22pm
My frame horns are kinda, sorta, just about, almost somewhat straighter. I'm sure they will be better by September. We'll be getting home from a bike ride in Tuscany on the 20th, so with the jet lag I may still mess it up again!
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2014 at 11:30pm
Colorado's muzzleloader big game season is Sept 13-21 . I won't have to miss any of the FCT this year !    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2014 at 12:06am
I'll be there also this year Mike! Not sure of the duration , but at least two days on the ground. If you make hats again, put me down for two. I hope to speak to you here in June about it. I am looking forward to shaking hands with allot of names and faces I've become familiar with. Can't wait! Thanks for your efforts and time. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 8:15pm
Guess I'll be watching from my computer again this year - My plans were to have the 49 ready and running by September but found out yesterday that there is a stupid trade show in Chicago that I must attend that runs 4 days - this work thing really is interfering with my play time!

I know that the reports will be just as good again.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 10:30pm
Keith, I'm glad to hear that you'll be with us again! Big smile  You're skills at repair and installations were a huge asset last year.  I'm very glad to have your knowledge and skills on our team again for this year.  Welcome back!!

Terry, I expect you to ride your bike VERY CAREFULLY while you're in Tuscany!  I don't want to hear about you going to the hospital instead of the local hotel for the color tour.  As for the jet lag, you just need to get Ginny to drive for a while so you can take a nap. Wink

Now Bruce, we planned FCT around the muzzle loader season just so we could RELY on you to bring some fresh game meat to the grand feast for FCT.  Don't let us down Pard!! Thumbs Up

John, I'm hoping you can spend more than 2 days on the ground.  I know we'll talk calendars when we get to your place in June, but I'm hoping you'll have it all figured out to spend the week with us in September. Hug

Tumbleweed, I'm thinking that you need to take a detour on your return trip from Chicago thru DIA with a rental car to get up to my place.  Just 3 hours west of DIA.  We've got lots of empty seats so a ride is no problem.  We just need to get you here. Broken Heart Don't break our hearts and sit on the sidelines for this game.

Edited by m38mike - 08 Jan. 2014 at 10:38pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2014 at 3:07am

"Now Bruce, we planned FCT around the muzzle loader season just so we could RELY on you to bring some fresh game meat to the grand feast for FCT.  Don't let us down Pard!! "

With my luck, if I bring fresh meat, it'll still be warm when I get there! You'll help me cut it up? Maybe we can make elk jerky the old way - over a campfire! Maybe we can even smoke it inside the hide! Big smile  BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2014 at 3:12pm
Bruce, I've got all the butcher shop tools we need to slice and dice, and plastic-pack in air-tight packages.  I've still got blood stains on the shop floor from my elk in November.  I've got a Little Chief smoker we can use to smoke up some meat, and a dehydrator too.  Even have a meat grinder for making burger.  Speaking of burger, we made meatloaf out of 2 lbs of elk last night.  It's already gone, no leftovers! Yum! We've set aside about 6 lbs of elk burger for Steve's elk chilli for this year's FCT, packed it special so we'd know what it was for. 

And besides all that the dogs like the bones and the magpies love the trimmings. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38MuM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38MuM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2014 at 12:40am
Wow, the excitement is building fast and early.  

I created a website just for you all.

Links on the right side are to local websites to help you find lodging, etc.
Links on the left side are some of the popular trails we like to travel with the CFFC or with our family.

Edited by m38MuM - 10 Jan. 2014 at 1:21am
Be sure to see what jeeps m38Mike has, cuz that's what I'm a "MuM" to.
Joe IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2014 at 12:49am
Hi Mike,

Lisa and I are planning on being there again this fall. Hopefully nothing will come up to change our plans between now and then.

See you in September,  Joe
1948 CJ2A "Norm"
1967 M715 "Buttugly"
2014 Ram 3500
2019Jeep Grand Cherokee

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 6:25pm
Hi Mike,

Just confirming the dates.  In years past, there would be a trail ride on the Saturday at the end of the FCT.  The 27th is listed as the last day, which is a Friday.

Tim   
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 6:52pm
Tim,
you might want to consult with a 2014 calendar, like the ones that Ricco79 produced.  I think you will find that the 27th of September is a Saturday in 2014. 

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 7:11pm
Well son of a gun.

Still looking at 2013.  Confused

Well, none the less, I'll be there!!  I might have a different, or an additional Willys with me this year.

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>