Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Fuel System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stock gastank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock gastank
    Posted: 21 Dec. 2006 at 9:56pm
I have two, each are in verious stages of degradation. I have used JB weld after cleaning all the scale off the outside. After that I lined the inside with a polimer gas tank liner. This has worked well for me on at least three gas tanks I have rebiult. One I'm having problems with, is because I didn't put a "cushion" between it and the tub well. I don't know the manufacture of this tank but here is the embossed logo of the manufacture. Please feel free to fill in the blanks here as to who made this tank and anything you know.

This is from the '45 parts list

GROUP 12- 01 FUEL TANK
TANK, fuel. assembly...................PART No. 640685

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2006 at 10:35am
Olaco I think..

Prety sure that is OEM on the 2A, I have seen several.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Darrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2006 at 2:23am
Hey, Gary.  Don't intend to hijack, but where can a guy pick up one of those liners?
`41 MB #107752 "Slattie"
`46 CJ2A #35646
`48 CJ2A #182205 "Lefty"
`48 CJ2A #196048
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2006 at 9:00am
Darrel,
The liner is a liquid and can be purchased by the quart, I got it at the local Auto Zone for about $40.00. A quart is more than enough to do a tank.
  The key is to try and get the sludge, rust, debriss, contaminantes and such out of the tank. I threw a few lug nuts inside and rolled them around to knock off the scale as best I could.
  You need to remove the feul guage sender and cover it with stiff cardboard reintalling the screws. Also make sure you can remove the drain plug and that the pick-up line is clear of debriss.
  You simply pour this stuff in your tank and roll it around untill it covers the entire inside of the tank. Don't use your gas cap as it will seal the vent system you also can't see what your doing in there. Once you feel you have it coated well, blow some air thru the feul pick-up line to clear it and drain the remainder of the liner out the drain hole back into it's container.
  I've had real good results, and is a simple way to save a hard to find original tank.

Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2006 at 9:57am
I think the A is for American Central Manufacturing
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Darrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 12:11am
Thanks, Gary.  What fun jeep parts did you get for Christmas?
`41 MB #107752 "Slattie"
`46 CJ2A #35646
`48 CJ2A #182205 "Lefty"
`48 CJ2A #196048
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 2:23am
Lamp
Lamp

I got inventive when I got fed up with trying to fix the bottom of my tank.

Couldn't get it to stay sealed.

So what I did was split the seam on the end of my original tank in order to secure the end face panel . After carefully trimming, I took it along with my new tank from Peter Debella to a radiator  shop and had it soldered together.

The only prep to the tank was sanding off the paint. after all of the soldering was done I coated the inside with POR 15's tank sealant just for the heck of it.

Only negative in this whole exercise is the back of my tank the profile is depressed, not "bulging" as original so to be perfect you have to do twice the work.....but you really have to look !
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 2:41am
The other give-away on the Omix repro tank besides the logo is, the filler is welded to the tank, while stock has a soldered flange, does the Debella tank have this detail correct, or perhaps its just a Omix? 

CJAlaska
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 4:29am
This tank is welded.

I looked back in my records that I keep for each build and find that I am in error with regard  to where it is actually purchased from. The one I fixxed up was from a closed jeep place called Specialty Parts near San Francisco.
I had another one from Peter for another Jeep I no longer have. Peter said his were from Israel. Without the jeep I can't say.

I didn't realize the difference. One more thing to look for....

DoesCry it ever end???

James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2007 at 4:08pm
If you're trying to clean out a tank, try electrolysis.  I did that on my 2A tank last week and BOY! did it make a difference!  I took photos of the process and posted them on my web site.  The other benefit of using that to clean the tank, is that it opened up ALL the pinholes.  Then it was JB Weld to the rescue.  Next weekend I'll follow up with the Eastwood Tank restoration kit to finish cleaning and lining it.  That should give it another 60 years service.  And for a LOT less than a pro shop would charge.

I did the electrolysis with a plastic wheelbarrow, a battery charger, some rebar, wire, Arm & Hammer laundry soap, and water.  Took 24 hours but the tank is squeeky clean.  Did my greasy dirty air cleaner too.  Now it's ready to paint.  Check it out.  My kind of solution: cheap, easy, effective.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 9:53pm
Here's one I haven't seen before.

Original out of the late '47 Luzon Red:

So Willys had at least 2 gas tank suppliers.

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 11:05pm

I've heard of another tank supplier as well. This should be fun to pin down.

Could this be like the "Kelsey Hayes" rims V/S "Motor Wheels" Supply issue?.....

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 10:41am
Gary:

Let's do pin it down.  What was the 3rd. supplier tank?  Was it marked or unmarked?

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 11:14pm
OK, I'll do what I can with what I got...The other manufacture of the tank I heard about maybe the one you posted. I do have a couple tanks of different construction, but similar in their seems. then again they are different in the fuel neck and rear hold-down (ground)...
 The one on the left is the one I posted original. The other has no markings on the face. Neither does the one on my neighbors '48, only the seaming is different, but the neck construction is the same.?

The serrated seam is on my neighbors '48 and has no markings on the front face.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 11:43pm
Gary:

I'll get side-by-side photos of my two tomorrow.  See if it sheds any more light.

Sean
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 11:47pm
Gary, Mine is like yours.  No logo and crimped seams.
http://www.rockymountains.net/~m38mike/KatesKarriage/20070421_Electrolysis17.jpg 
I don't think my home computer can post a photo.  I'll have to redo this tomorrow.

Edited by m38mike - 21 June 2007 at 11:53am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:23am
Forgot one pic, The unmarked tank (unknown origin) has a rolled seam like the original.

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 8:08am
Are you guys determining that a tank is original based on it's having an original body paint color underneath?  How else other than word of mouth would you know?
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>