Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2014 at 9:49pm
That is sweet man.............nice ride.
2010 2 door jk,
46 Willys aka "Big Bird".
Dave
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2014 at 3:51am

It is alive!

Finally got my Cherokee started. I upgraded to HEI and changed some other wires, removed others blah blah blah... Still need to time it and what not but I am super happy. Has not run for a few months now.

Edited by berettajeep - 15 June 2014 at 4:26pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2014 at 4:27pm
Embarrassed Fixed the video....now it should actually play LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2014 at 10:29pm
Nothing to exciting to report. I am upgrading my alternator to a 120 amp one. I am looking for the alternator brackets from '76-'80 V8 360/401 motors.  My '74 came with a one piece that I would rather not cut up. So if anyone has one.....Big smile
jet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 2:00am
That's one big *ss motor and it sounds great. Nice.
2010 2 door jk,
46 Willys aka "Big Bird".
Dave
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 2:27am
Originally posted by jet jet wrote:

That's one big *ss motor and it sounds great. Nice.

Thank you.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2014 at 4:50am
Update. I have been using my 2A as my everyday driver since April. Today I actually drove the Cherokee 9 miles. Big smile
Rebuilt the carburetor, got the HEI installed. Runs pretty good too! Just need to bump the idle up a tad after it is warmed up and fine tune everything.

Next up is replacing all fuel lines. For some reason the factory lines are mostly plastic Confused ( Well I know the reason but I don't like it.)

Also have most brackets and alternator to upgrade the charging system.  Stock puts out like 60 amps +/-. I am going with a bigger alternator that has 120 amps. Smile  Already upgrade the battery cables to 1 gauge and replaced the amp meter with a volt meter.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2014 at 11:25am
Nice classic lines and it sounds great. Is that York pump still functional? I put one of those in my 93 Cherokee to pump up tires after trail riding.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Nice classic lines and it sounds great. Is that York pump still functional? I put one of those in my 93 Cherokee to pump up tires after trail riding.

Actually don't know if it functions or not. I removed most of the A/C stuff already so I may turn it into OBA. ( If it works)  I had a '96 Cherokee that I did that with the stock Sanden unit. Or I may end up selling it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2014 at 1:26am
Well just updated my 2A build, so might as well update this one too! LOL

Been driving this everyday but just like the 2A, I am stock piling parts to replace.

Timing chain, water pump, 120 amp alternator to replace the stock 60 amp one. A member from the Full Size Jeep websites makes separate wiring harness for headlights and the rear window that uses relays and proper size wires to take the strain off the stock anemic wires/switches. I still have to add the rear window one, which also includes a remote key FOB.

Just trying to find time to work on it is what I am lacking right now.

I did modify the rear exhaust a tiny bit. Before it exited straight out the rear of the Jeep, but with the rear window down all the exhaust fumes would come into the the back. I added 45 degree angles and it is a more pleasant drive now LOL

I post more about the Jeep here if interesting parties care to read --->http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4942
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2014 at 4:46am
Well my manager said on the 15th he will be on a mini vacation ( From repo work) and will be bringing the tow truck in and doing maintenance/upgrades and asked me if I need to work on either Jeep. Have been stock piling parts so it looks like I will be replacing them. Yay!  Water pump, timing chain, oil pump rebuild, valve, intake manifold and oil pan gaskets, etc; etc; Smile 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 4:56pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2014 at 4:41am
Drove around yesterday looking at some 2A's for sale somewhat locally just for fun basically.  As soon as I got back home I went to check my oil and heard what sounded like what hitting something hot and evaporating. Well it turned out to be fuel leaking out of my linkage on the carb. Angry

After some investigating ( and questioning others) I believe it is the fuel lines boiling the fuel ( the 401 runs hot) and it found it's way out. ( It did not do it today, but it was a cooler day and I only drove it about 15 miles today as opposed to the 100 I drove the day before.)

As a precaution I order a fuel pressure gauge and some heat shield for the fuel lines.  In a week or so I will hopefully be replacing all the parts that I have been stock piling also
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2015 at 8:34pm
Well with the cold my battery decided to no longer work so a new battery will come on payday.

From before the battery died.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2015 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Well my manager said on the 15th he will be on a mini vacation ( From repo work) and will be bringing the tow truck in and doing maintenance/upgrades and asked me if I need to work on either Jeep. Have been stock piling parts so it looks like I will be replacing them. Yay!  Water pump, timing chain, oil pump rebuild, valve, intake manifold and oil pan gaskets, etc; etc; Smile 

Oh and this never happened. Cry
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2015 at 5:50am
Yay the steering box has developed a leak! This Jeep really likes to mark its territory.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2015 at 12:14pm
Such a nice day on Sunday (60+ degrees and no snow!) that I played around with the Jeeps a little.

I replaced the rear shocks on the Cherokee. Stupid me ordered stock replacement ones but I have a 2 inch lift that I forgot about. Embarrassed

So the front shocks went on the rear (After removing a metal sleeve and switching out the rubber bushing)  The rear ones will fit the Willys so I will keep them for replacements.

(Keep forgetting to paint the diff. cover. Embarrassed)  Notice no washer on the drivers side? Previous owner broke a piece of the thread off and threads were stripped a little. Sigh.

I also hooked up my tow bar and connected the 2 Jeeps so I can make the wiring harness. I bought a 7 wire plug harness already made. It is 20 feet long. I figured I can cut to size and still have plenty of wire left.  It is also heavy duty wire with 14, 12 and 10 gauge wires as opposed to other "trailer" wiring I see which was 16 or even 18 gauge.

Note. As far as I can predict, I will never own a trailer and if I did I would need a bigger truck to pull the trailer ( And a place to park it.) This is the second best option for me. 
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2015 at 12:06am
Nice jeeps,towing is not a bad option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>