Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:13pm
This Cherokee sits more as I drive the newer Cherokee more and more. Cry
 Yesterday I started to remove the interior to see what parts of the floor need to be repaired. Most of it has been taken out.
 Sucks I don't have a garage or even a shed to store what I remove.  ( There is a crappy shack here that is full of spiders, leaks water and is mostly rotted. Surprises me it is still standing.)   It will probably rain now and I 'll need to wait to work on the interior again.

Some rot in places. The drivers side rear quarter panel was replaced with an AMC Corp. piece, still had the paper work taped to it. I already knew the drivers door is not original, which is a bummer as it the build month and year on it.  There is a first year registry for Cherokee's and there is one that is only 4 numbers off of mine, so I can say it was built November 1973 or possibly the first week of December.

Took the lower seat cushion off the rear seat and found lots of change, dog hair, plastic sheriffs badge and car. Girls hair clips and a pencil with, for the time being, I will assume it belonged to the original owners daughter. 

I talked my girlfriend into finding out history of the Jeep. I'm curious as to what she will find.
I Need to figure out why the rear window stopped working. This will be easier now that there is no seats in the way to get to the back of the Jeep.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 2:47am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

I can say it was built November 1973 or possibly the first week of December.

Wow, that was right around the time I left Bremerton WA for Mare Island CA.  December 3 was the date, if I recall correctly.  Just 45-1/2 years ago...doesn't seem so long.  Smile 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 3:08am
On your rear window be sure and check the plug in connection at the back of the frame underneath before it goes through the floor....
I wasted hours on my wagoneer before checking the easy placeAngryEmbarrassedConfusedOuchCry
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

On your rear window be sure and check the plug in connection at the back of the frame underneath before it goes through the floor....
I wasted hours on my wagoneer before checking the easy placeAngryEmbarrassedConfusedOuchCry

I had a test light and was checking what was happening as my girlfriend pushed the rear window switch on the dash.  I don't have the stock wiring going to the rear window anymore. Before he passed away a member of the FSJ websites I go to made an upgraded wiring harness for the window that included relays ( He also made a upgraded headlight harness that I also have)

The wires to the window motor have no power. The motor was running slower and slower in the recent months ( It is slow to begin with for the earlier Cherokees/Wagoneers)  and kept on tripping the circuit breaker. It got to the point where it would go up for a one or two seconds then trip the breaker and I would have to wait a minute until it reset its self.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 6:42pm
Started wire wheeling the floor. A lot worse then I thought. Harbor freight has a $99 "welder" for sale, I may get one and weld in replacement panels.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 8:35pm
Most of the interior has been disassembled but since I don't have a garage or anywhere to store the pieces I remove, everything is still in the Cherokee.

Yesterday I removed the rear tailgate window motor. ( Before I did that I bolted the window linkage arms to the its bracket so the glass will stay up. I will take the motor apart at work and try to clean/repair it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2019 at 9:10pm
Was able to contact the original owner of the Jeep and we talked for 30 minutes Always interested in knowing the History of this Cherokee. I am hoping he will look for some old photos he may have it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 3:19pm
Monday my XJ decided to shut off in the driveway as I was waiting for traffic. Didn't want to be late for work so drive the FSJ. I moved it the day before when I mowed the lawn, both fuel tanks almost empty.

There is a gas station about a mile away so I took a chance and drove there hoping I don't get stuck behind a school bus or have to wait for a herd of elk to cross somewhere. Luckily nothing got in my way and I made it, added fuel and made it to work.

I have not driven this in a while and of course it rains Monday and Tuesday.  It is not as comfortable as my XJ nor does it keep the rain out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2019 at 3:00am
But it looks soooo much COOLERCoolBig smile
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2020 at 12:32am
Been yard parked since January when plates expired. Finally ordered the rear window motor and of course it is the wrong one, even though it is suppose to be for a '74. Only real difference is how the wiring plugs into the motor. So I'll make some small adaptor wires to hook it all together. Just a pain when things have to be altered to make new parts work.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:27pm
So yesterday after work I decided to put the refurbished tailgate window motor in.

1 get motor and tools in Jeep.

2 climb over rear seat and hook up wiring. Able to get 2 of the 3 bolts to hold the motor in place.

3 Climb over rear seat to get out on passenger side and walk over to drivers side to hit the switch to lower window.

4 It works! I lower it only enough to access the remaining bolt I need to put in.

5 Walk back around to passenger side, climb over back seat to put in remaining bolt. Bolt is too long and the way braket is I don't have a small enough washer.

6 Climb over seat and exit Jeep.

7 Get a smaller washer and cut bolt threads off to make it the perfect length.

8 Go back to Jeep, climb over rear seat. Install remaining bolt. Climb back over seat, exit passenger side and walk around to drivers side. Lower window almost completely. Yes! It works. So happy I don't have to climb over that seat again! I walk around to the back and lower the tailgate.

9 Lets try raising the window with the switch. Nothing. Won't go up.

10 Remove glass from tailgate to access motor.

11 Get test light. Everything up to the motor work the way it should. I have a new wires with relays from the switch on the dash to the motor. Motor does nothing.

12 Remove motor. Now when you remove the motor the mechanical window linkage is spring loaded. Bent the window channel slightly when I did this.

13 I have newer pieces that hold the window channel to the linkage. Before it was snap on clips to hold it but now I am able to use cotter pins. Of course they were rusted in place and took a while to get out. The access panel in the tailgate is not wide enough to get a clear shot to work on these either. Finally got both pins out and removed channel.

14 Able to bend the channel back and attach to glass. put glass back in and close tailgate.

15 Climb over rear seat to push window back up and bolt the linkage so it won't drop.

16 Climb back over rear seat, get tools together, go back inside defeated and grab a beer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 4:40am
OH SHOOT!!!
What a paaaiin!!
I totally understand what you just went through Ouch 
Yep me too on my GW. 
I may have told you this before.... I finally figured out mine was a short in the plug connection behind the bumper where the harness goes through the floor!!
I wasted soo many hours pulling that stupid tailgate and glass apart and trying to install those spring clips Angry

Not that it helps but I feel your pain!!
Keep at it
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 5:27pm
Finally got my tailgate window working. Took the new motor I recently got apart and cleaned contact points and re-installed it. 
Also got the current 2 year tags so I will be driving it again, once I get some fuel in the tanks. LOL

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 6:19pm
Yesterdays adventure. Fixed a exhaust hanger that I temporarily fixed months ago, then it was off to the gas station a couple miles from my house. 10 gallons later I am on my way to the big city of Astoria. LOL   Being a tourist town on a Friday and on a nice day ( and week long beautiful weather) traffic was very busy. ( sat at a light for 3 cycles before I got through it)

I drive until the traffic circle and go right to avoid traffic and get into town the back way.  Couple miles down the road I turn left to go up the South slope and the Cherokee dies. Pull to the side of the road and look thing over. Wants to fire up but really won't.  15 minutes later I am able to get it running so I continue up the hill.

As I am heading down the hill on the other side, it shuts off again. I coast around the corner and look to see anything obviously wrong in the engine bay and under the Jeep. 10 minutes later I am able to get it running enough to drive 50 yards, into a parking spot where it dies again. I noticed some dirt in the fuel filters and also noticed the gas station attendant did not put my fuel cap back on correctly. Frustrated I walk away and grab lunch and head to my local bottle shop.

After lunch with my girl, who was working across the street, I drive her Jeep to Napa to get new fuel filters and some tools to replace them.  New filters in, start it up and make it around the corner before it dies again. Defeated I eventually get a tow truck.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 6:21pm
At least it was a nice day

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 8:33pm
That’s not bad, my blue jeep has been hauled home once and my black jeep has been towed home twice!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2020 at 2:45am
What it wasn’t raining???!!!
Sorry for your fuel troublesOuch
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 10:21am
Dennis I don't know what you have for a Ignition system but my jeep had been doing that at long time back and it ended up being the condenser. After it cooled for a while it would fire right up and run for a few minutes then it would heat up and the engine would acted like it was running out of gas and die. I change the condenser and away we went. I always carry a spare.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>