Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2015 at 6:10pm
Replaced my oil pan gasket. ( Again) and also replaced the rear main seal last weekend.  So far so good Big smile

Next to figure out is after I've been driving for a while and I shut it off, when I go to restart it within 30 minutes or so it is hesitant to crank over for a split second. Kind of like a heat soaked starter.  I do have a heat shield around the starter so Confused
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2015 at 3:41pm
Forgot I took this about a month ago....  My first year Cherokee parked across the newest Cherokee...

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 3:39am
Last couple weeks I have been getting this high pitch squeal while driving on and off. Went away when I applied the brakes.  Must be the wear indicator.  Finally got time to check it out today.

Still had a lot of pad left so I bent the indicator out of the way. Quick cheap fix. LOL

Ball joints are good Big smile both tie rod ends are bad Cry
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2016 at 5:34am
Tinted my side windows today. Pictures in a moment.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2016 at 3:14pm
Before:

After:

Not a huge difference. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2016 at 5:04am
No photos but I did A lot to this Jeep today.

Added hold downs in the cargo area.
 Dropped the 2nd gas tank to fix the sending unit wire.
Replaced front brake pads.
Replace drivers side axle u-joint.
Took the heater blower motor off expecting lots of leaves but there was none.
Put silicone around the windshield after cleaning the previous owners attempt.
Wrapped the passenger side exhaust pipe ( did the drivers side a while ago.)
Removed the front driveshaft to grease it. Has 5 total zerks on it and 2 cannot be reached unless the driveshaft is off.
Changed the oil.
Some other misc. things.

Getting ready for the roadtrip!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 1:57am
Roadtrip went good! Motor is still sitting in the back of the Cherokee Embarrassed Waiting for a Cherry picker but also deciding if I want to leave it at work, growing unhappy of that place so not sure if I want that holding me there. We'll see..

Recently, as in last Sunday, I replaced the exhaust gaskets at the manifold on both sides to the pipes. Developed leaks on both sides. I also wrapped more of my exhaust to keep temps down next to the gas tank.

Sadly I have a transmission leak getting worse. Something on the side and where it mates to the transfer case. Not happy about it and not looking forward to what I have to do to fix it. 
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 2:36am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Removed the front driveshaft to grease it. Has 5 total zerks on it and 2 cannot be reached unless the driveshaft is off.

If it has the proper flush fit/needle type zerks, and it has the proper u-joints, and you have the proper needle type adapter, it's very easy without removing the entire shaft.
A lot of "ifs" I know......
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 3:58am
I came across this yesterday while doing some garage cleanup.   I found it outside in the dirt several years ago, and must have put it in the garage.   I don't remember my sons playing with it,  but no doubt is one of their toys.   (we had '77 Cherokee when they were young)
It immediately reminded me of your Cherokee. :-)

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

If it has the proper flush fit/needle type zerks, and it has the proper u-joints, and you have the proper needle type adapter, it's very easy without removing the entire shaft.
A lot of "ifs" I know......

LOL Just a few!

The U-joint closet to the transfer case does not have a zerk on it and is also in the wrong direction. The Cardan does the flush fit zerk, but I could not get to it no matter how I moved it. I do have a bigger exhaust system so that may contribute.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I came across this yesterday while doing some garage cleanup.   I found it outside in the dirt several years ago, and must have put it in the garage.   I don't remember my sons playing with it,  but no doubt is one of their toys.   (we had '77 Cherokee when they were young)
It immediately reminded me of your Cherokee. :-)

Cool! I have several of those Majorette Cherokees, from the stock ones to the lifted ones like this to monster truck versions! It is just a great design.

No only if my Cherokee was as solid as this toy! No paint I can deal with but mine is full of more rust then can be seen Angry

Thank you for sharing! Big smile
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 2:55am
Replaced the transmission filter and gasket yesterday. I noticed this.

That is a nail  Confused. Strange to me, so I just bent it a little because it was able to move around.

I also replaced most of my tie rod ends. Still have one more but a big improvement so far!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 8:39pm
Well come to find out that the nail in the above post is original to the trans...Confused

Well since I change the pan gasket and fluid, the trans makes a weird noise when first started and cold like is have trouble flowing through the lines. Ouch It is full so I don't know.

Still makes the marble sound noise when warmed up and going up a incline.  I thought maybe it was the old filter bouncing around since it was not bolted on tight.

Shifts good but probably needs a rebuild that is not in the cards right now.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 6:59am
Drove my Jeep to work today after sitting for about 4-5 days. Ran Okay but about 1.5 miles from home I was stopped at a red light, light turn green and as soon as I hit the gas the Cherokee dies. Would not restart at all.  Pushed to the side of the road, pop the hood and nothing jumps out at me.

Check the distributor cap and rotor and nothing. Still won't start. Call girlfriend to bring tow strap and come get me.  As soon as she gets there I try one more time to start it and it fires right up.. Confused

Drive the half mile to work, with the girlfriend following, and it is running fine. Confused

After work nervously drive it home. Make it home and take girlfriends Jeep to parts store to get replacement cap, rotor and module.

Replace cap, rotor and module and it runs like crap Angry

Not sure what is going on but not happy about it.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 7:07am
Something I've done several times when replacing the cap us get the firing order screwed up. I've also failed to get the screws or clips,or whatever holds the cap on, properly seated or tightened. Not that you could be as silly as me to make those mistakes, but ....
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 3:07pm
All 3 parts I bought are made by Accel. A hold down pin on the cap is not long enough to hold it down, so it is defective in my eyes.  The truck originally came with points but I bought a Skip White HEI because it was cheaper then the others ( I know I know) Just going to order their master tune up kit.

Plug wires were still marked from when I first put them on. I remarked them ( Also made sure they were going to where they should be going Wink)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 5:16am
Replaced the door hinge pins today on the drivers door. Big improvement!!!  Took me less then 3 hours.  Should have done it sooner!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2016 at 5:06pm
Going against my better judgement I added Lucas transmission fix when I replaced trans gasket. Well now that it is getting colder in the mornings, when I start it up I can here it trying to lube everything. Does not like to flow cold.   

So I shall replace the fluid. Also should check the cooling lines since a previous owner added a cooler.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>