Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can anyone I.D this drawbar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anyone I.D this drawbar?
    Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 12:53am

I got this drawbar a couple of years ago, thinking I might put it on my 3A.  I later decided not to use it.  After reading that all Willys jeep drawbars had two long braces that bolted to a cross member, I got to wondering what this is.  There is no evidence that this drawbar ever had the two long braces, and that they have been cut off.  It measures 30" in length.  I am also curious as to the purpose of the two holes at each end of the vertical part of the angle iron.  It has been suggested to me that they might have had something to do with a Monroe 3-pt lift.  Can anyone ID this drawbar, and tell me what it was used for?   Thanks in advance for any information.
George

'51 3A #43951
Hud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 4:51am
George,
That's the same drawbar that is on my '48. Everything is the same with the exception of the
horizontal piece on the back side of the middle uprights, which is not on mine. The outside verticle pieces also bolt to the "bumper". Mine has the braces that are welded to the drawbar about mid way between the mounts that extend forward & are bolted to the crossmember. I don't know about the holes on either side of the outer brackets as mine has an angled plate welded in that area. 

Regards, Hud

Edited by Hud - 20 Apr. 2014 at 5:08am
"Go For Broke"
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 4:59am
I'm gonna take an educated  guess and say it's from a mid 70's(1973 1974 1975) CJ5 with a rear mounted fuel tank.
You're missing the side support straps that would bolt to the two outside holes in the angled portion you mention.
It's also the type that would accept a pintle hook, thus the six mounting holes in the center vertical uprights. The pintle hook may only use 4 of those holes.
It's also missing some other factory bracing/support brackets that would bolt behind to the small angle piece on the backside.

zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 1:28pm
The one I took off had two long braces then when from the rear cross member on the frame down to the drawbar.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 8:45pm
Looks (almost) identical to the one on my 63 3B, which I have every reason so believe is original.
Everything is the same except mine has the scallop on the top left side like Hud's.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 12:12am
Being straight across the top and with that small angle on the back, is say mid 70s cj5 is right on target.
The earlier ones like on the green jeep pictures have a sculpted top for the pto gearbox to clear. Yes, two of the holes on the vertical would be for the Monroe hitch but they all have that save for the very early 2as. There were also small differences over the years in the brace that angle up
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Bedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 7:24am
Thank you all for your input.
George

'51 3A #43951
Rich Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 8:27pm
Is this for sale? I am looking for one for my 46' cj2a
Thanks, Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply