Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larry's Kubota Diesel swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 1:47pm
Ok....Willys engine is now removed...surprisingly easy. Went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of 1000lb mini furniture dollies. Put the top of the shipping crate that my adapter kit came in on top of one of the dollies and voila, I can roll the Willys engine around.

Now I can pressure wash the engine compartment and cut out the old mounts. I noticed a bit of play in my bellcrank so I will probably rebuild that while I have good access to it.
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Overland Diesel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:49am
You are clipping right along !Thumbs Up

1947 CJ2a -Kubota V2003 turbo diesel
1989 Jeep Wagoneer 3.9L Cummins
1985 Toyota BJ60 3b Diesel
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 2:14pm
Made a lot of progress yesterday. Removed the old Willys motor mounts. Cut an x in them with a die grinder and then air chiseled them off...piece of cake. Cleaned up the frame with my sidewinder and a wire wheel.

Removed the under seat fuel tank and the extra rear tank in the Jeep. I don't really like or need the rearward tank so I am not going to put it back in. A tank with no gauge is fine for a gas engine but no so nice for a diesel since they do not appreciate being run dry...plus with 30 MPG, I see no need to haul around a giant load of fuel, the stock tank should work just fine.
I had to order a new fuel tank as my original has a hole in it....red arrow in picture....was poking around with a putty knife and it was pretty thin! Lasted since 1949 though!

I modified the sender unit for the return fuel line and also removed the original throttle and cut the hole for the Lokar throttle pedal.

Edited by Lemield - 12 May 2014 at 9:02pm
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 4:44pm
I ordered a few more parts.  Removed the air cleaner brackets. Painted the floor under the fuel tank with a super hard rust encapsulating paint. Hopefully it will last for the rest of my lifetime. When new fuel tank arrives, I will probably paint the bottom of the tank with the same paint and the rest with VHT epoxy paint. Hope to be able to pressure wash the engine compartment this weekend.

Also ran a new power wire for an electric wiper motor. I ran the wire inside the original vacuum tubing. No vacuum on a diesel so I have to put in an electric wiper....will kind of miss the old vacuum one. :(

Dropped the radiator off at the radiator shop to have it boiled out and checked for leaks. Crazy not to do it when it is all apart. :)

Edited by Lemield - 16 May 2014 at 4:50pm
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 12:53am
Oh, you have an electric wiper?  I'd love to get one.  Right now I have the factory wiper on top of the window, but I had to mount it upside down to clear my roll cage, so it kinda blocks some view.  I'd love to move it down to the bottom of the window, but then I'd have to reach through the steering wheel to operate it, I don't like that.  Electric would be perfect I think!

Where did you get yours?  Let me know how you like it!

Oh on the throttle pedal, if you have the same Lokar one as mine, I ended up having to mount mine as far over to the right as I could, and angle it a little bit clockwise to keep my foot from hitting it when I press the brakes.  But I usually wear flipflops, they are wider than my shoes.  (California is turning me into a beach bum, slowly!)
2a #40500
Overland Diesel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 1:03am
I used this one last time I installed one....

Edited by Overland Diesel - 17 May 2014 at 1:05am
1947 CJ2a -Kubota V2003 turbo diesel
1989 Jeep Wagoneer 3.9L Cummins
1985 Toyota BJ60 3b Diesel
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 2:09pm
Hi Daniel,

I do not have my electric wiper yet. I was planning to order it from Summit Racing. They have a kit for a decent price and I have to order other stuff anyway. :)

Larry
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 2:55pm
A bit of progress this week. I got the new fuel return fitting installed and got the new tank installed in the Jeep. Now I need to plumb the return and fuel lines.

Noticed last weekend that my transmission and transfer case mounts were all oil soaked and spongy so I ordered new ones. Hopefully will make some progress over the long weekend.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:03pm
Small progress this past weekend. Replaced transmission mount and transfer case mount. Installed Lokar throttle pedal. Clearanced a bit more on the firewall. I did find two broken body mount bolts that require repair before I can proceed so I've ordered new pads and hardware. I am planning to put an extra 1/4 inch of material under the front body mounts to give myself a bit more clearance. Slow progress.

Edited by Lemield - 30 May 2014 at 2:42pm
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 3:31pm
Received a large shipment of parts yesterday, including the new body mount bolts and pads. Hoping to make some good progress this week/weekend.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 1:42pm
Hi Larry

Love this project...looks so cool...my dad was a huge diesel fan...he had when he died 6 deisel vehicles on his property.....he would love this one too...

Do you plan a rear differential gearing swap too?

Thanks for sharing/posting on here...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

Hi Larry

Love this project...looks so cool...my dad was a huge diesel fan...he had when he died 6 deisel vehicles on his property.....he would love this one too...

Do you plan a rear differential gearing swap too?

Thanks for sharing/posting on here...

MikeC

Hi Mike,

I had not considered a gearing swap but might in the future. This project has cost me a LOT more than I anticipated....as they all do! I was over my projected budget after buying the engine and the adapter kit and turbo! Oh well, as they say, it is a labor of love.

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 2:07pm
Small progress. I was able to get an angle air drill into the drivers side body mount and drill out the broken bolt. I was then able to put a new bolt in with a lock washer and nut.  The passenger side mount had a bad bolt so I replaced it also. I also replaced all the body mount pads with new ones....the old ones were at least 40 years old, possibly 65 years old!  I mounted my new Lokar throttle pedal up too high so I had to remove it and will be mounting it down lower on the floorboard. I messed up the chrome piece that the throttle cable mounts to so I will be ordering a new one from Lokar today. I have just a bit more metal work to do for clearance and I need to weld in a patch for the incorrect throttle hole I made and then it's engine install time!

I will post some new pictures next week.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 1:49pm
Good progress this weekend. Fuel tank installed. New fuel and return lines plumbed and installed. Flex-a-lite fan installed on radiator. New hole cut for Lokar throttle...still waiting on new mount from Lokar and then I can mount the pedal. Removed old choke cable and throttle cable. Installed engine stop cable to see how it fit. I have a new locking throttle cable on order.

I'm ready to install the engine and weld up the engine mounts. My Lincoln Weld Pak 100 MIG is not strong enough to do the welding so I am going to get a mobile welder to come in and weld them for me or I will borrow an ARC welder and do them myself.

Edited by Lemield - 09 June 2014 at 1:51pm
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 2:06pm
The engine is in!!!! No major problems except for the guy who is not a very good welder...ME!

I also installed the new Optima specific battery mount from RuffStuff....very nice piece. I decided to weld it on since I had the welder out anyway. I LOVE this battery mount! I like it so much that I am going to put two of them in my 1971 K20 truck when I replace the side post batteries with Optimas.

I also installed my new (NOS) military throttle cable. Looks good with the engine stop cable.

Hopefully will have it running in a couple of days.

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 3:07pm
How much clearance do you have between the oil filter and the front axle?
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 3:10pm
Hi Dennis,

I don't know....but the picture makes it look like there is NONE....I will switch to a smaller filter if necessary. It looked to me like there was plenty of clearance though. :)

Photography is NOT my thing.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2014 at 5:10pm
Hows the clearance on the drag link under the motor mount?  Check that one with the wheels turned all the way left.  Mine kisses it just as I get to the steering stop.  If I were to do-over again, I would probably notch the motor mount a bit, then box the top of it to regain any lost strength from the notch.

Looking sweet!   You're making me wish I painted my motor :-D  Nice battery box too!
2a #40500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>