Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stan’s 59 Chevy Apache

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stan’s 59 Chevy Apache
    Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 9:53am
Hopefully that pertronix kit has a rev limiter. I have a '63 Nova with a 350 and did this old Crane electronic ignition conversion that my neighbor gave me and it has a built in rev limiter. My Nova is a manual too, and it really helps avoid over-reving. I think FAST bought out Crane and still sells them. We have pine floors in our house that look just like your new bed. They seem very durable. Our house was built in '29, so maybe the pine was a little harder back then, but I'm sure it will work great in your truck. 

Edited by drm101 - 03 Sep. 2021 at 9:56am
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

That rear distributor is what keeps me from liking Chebies as much as I might.
The original wiring harness was wrapped in electrical tape.
Easy to replicate if you want to make it look both neat and semi original. Wink

Yup, when I first bought this crate motor about 10 years ago, it came with a brand new hei dizzy. It won't fit without a giant hole in the firewall. So I put the old points dizzy in from the original motor. I now have petronix guts in it, but still...  The HEI sits on a shelf and teases me from time to time.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 1:41pm
That rear distributor is what keeps me from liking Chebies as much as I might.
The original wiring harness was wrapped in electrical tape.
Easy to replicate if you want to make it look both neat and semi original. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2021 at 11:17am
Well, I got it all in. Need to clean up the wiring some, but everything is connected.

Here's an Instagram video of the first start up. It starts and runs ok, but sounds a little rattily. I checked the timing and it is way advanced. I'll need to pull the dizzy and move it a tooth. I can't turn it any more retarded because the vacuum advance canister hits against the firewall. Cry 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 6:35am
Stan, I'm glad you are having your 2nd childhood like me. Or is it my 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th--------------Wink

You can't always just drive Jeeps. Got to have variety. Now if you haul your Jeep with it, imagine your gas station stops. They won't let you pull away. LOL

Red Willy went to a enclosed trailer so he can sneak in and out of those stops. 

I can hear the questions already. What year is it?, how long have you owned it, is it for sale, on and on. 

Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 8:12pm
Moving kind of slow on this, but it is all bolted in and ready to rock. I’ve had a little starter trouble, both on the truck and myself. 😋. 
I need to get the front clip with the radiator bolted on so I can get it started and run for tuning tuned and break in.

Here’s how it sits right now.

Is it just me or does that 350 look kind of small in there?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2021 at 7:24am
Kinda looks like the sort of truck that can haul most anything...
but mostly ass. LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Stan,
Is there some small block power magic inside?

Not a ton but a little. Slightly built up cam, Weiand intake manifold with an Edelbrock carb sitting on it, Petronix Flame Thrower ignition, The headers and Cherry bomb mufflers. I also have a Tremec 5 speed overdrive transmission bolted to it.
Not sure what all that does for me. When I bought the original crate engine the builder said it should make around 320 horsepower with this set up. I’ve never Dynoed it or anything, but that short bet will try and get in front of you real fast if you get into it hard. At least that’s what they tell me. 😋
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2021 at 12:16am
Stan,
Is there some small block power magic inside?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2021 at 9:54pm
Got the engine and transmission stabbed i  today.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Looking good. I know that Novak sells and bushing that you need, abc to to Ford t18. 
Jay

Thanks for the tip Jay. I’ve got one on the way.

Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Cool Stan! I like old Chevys too. Oilly

Thanks John. Based on your collection, you like everything.😋
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 7:28am
Cool Stan! I like old Chevys too. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 11:58pm
Looking good. I know that Novak sells and bushing that you need, abc to to Ford t18. 
Jay

Edited by chasendeer - 06 Aug. 2021 at 12:03am
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 10:00pm
Small steps. I got the valve covers, carb, fuel pump, alternator, fan and belt, distributor, and headers bolted on. Then I hung it on the cherry picker and bolted on the flywheel.

I hit a bit of a roadblock. I have a Ford Tremec transmission with a case worked over to bolt to a Chevy bell housing. That means I need a pilot bushing with the outside diameter for the SB Chevy crankshaft and the inside diameter for a Ford transmission nose shaft. I’ll have to make a call to the folks who sell the reworked transmissions and get a pilot bushing sent out. 

Edited by smfulle - 07 Aug. 2021 at 7:11pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 12:40am
This thing hasn’t been my daily driver for a few years and has become a bit neglected. The cam on the 350 went flat a few years ago and it has been sitting all sad and lonely since then.
I finally decided to do what it takes to get it back to a functioning vehicle.

I pulled the drivetrain out and sent the motor off to the machine shop for a rebuild.

I got the motor back and I’m finishing up getting all the peripherals bolted on. It’s taking longer than it should because it’s hard to get motivated to go out in the garage when it’s close to 100 degrees out there. 

The goal is to have it together and running so I can drive it out if the garage before the snow flies so I can put my current daily driver back in the garage and not have to scrape the windows like I did last winter cuz it sat out side while this guy took up space in the garage.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 2:34am
LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Good job!  You should wheel that truck

Funny, If there is anything that gets worse traction than an Willys with NTDs, its a vintage, light weight, 2 wheel drive, short bed pickup that is grossly overpowered. 

What they are really good for is the cool feeling you get when  you rev it to the red line and step off of the left hand pedal and that light weight rear end tries to get around in front of you. They are great for creating that awesome burnt rubber smell too! 

"Course, I'm only telling you what I've heard. Old guys like me never squander MPG or rubber by running high revs or trying to squeak the tires in all the gears. Evil Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 5:42pm
Good job!  You should wheel that truck
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>