Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear pto shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear pto shaft
    Posted: 22 Sep. 2014 at 9:35pm
My 1946 CJ2A would appear to have originally had a rear pto as the front gearbox and shift lever were in place.  The shaft and rear gearbox were missing.  As part of the restoration, I bought a rear gearbox and shaft, but when we went to install the shaft, it would not line up.  We could not install the shaft between the front gearbox and the rear gearbox because there were cross members in the way.  There is no option for mounting the rear gearbox lower and I can't see any way to lower the transmission and transfer case.  Has anyone encountered a similar issue?
Bob Skene   Oxdrift, ON
1946 CJ2A s/n 44494
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2014 at 10:36pm
First is your pto mounted to the transfer case the Spicer 18H like this one?

Next, here is an artist rendition of how it mounts...where are you contacting a cross member?

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
rskene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2014 at 1:57pm
Thanks for the reply, Art. 

Yes, my PTO gearbox is the one that you show in your picture.  It was installed on the jeep when I found it although there was no shaft or rear gearbox.  The previous owner said the jeep was used to run a sawmill in the '60s, so I presume it had a rear pto gearbox and a belt pulley at that time.

The problem is the main cross-member that is a "hat" section and is located just forward of the differential.  It is about 3/4" too low to allow the pto shaft to clear it.  This cross-member is permanently mounted and cannot be adjusted up or down.

The cross member that supports the rear of the transmission and transfer case is also solidly mounted and there would appear to be no way to adjust the angle of the pto gearbox.

As near as we can tell, the only solution would be to cut a notch out of the cross member and reinforce it.  I'm pretty sure I don't need a pto THAT badly!

Bob
Bob Skene   Oxdrift, ON
1946 CJ2A s/n 44494
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2014 at 2:21pm
Can you post a picture...something does not sound right.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
rskene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2014 at 10:02pm
Hi Art,
We unbolted the cross member that supports the rear of the transfer case/transmission and lowered it about half an inch.  This was enough to give clearance to the PTO shaft and we were able to install it.  We have to weld on some tabs to the brackets so we can bolt the cross member in its new location.  I still don't know why it was too high in the first place but it would have been easy for that cross member to have gotten a whack now and then over the years to bend it up that little bit.  PTO is working like a champ now!
Thanks for your input.
Bob
Bob Skene   Oxdrift, ON
1946 CJ2A s/n 44494
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 12:23am
As you can see my frame on the 3a had been cut to clear the driveshaft...i don't know why, and I haven't tried to re-install it after the rebuild...The driveshaft was also banged up where it had been hitting the axle....

I don't know what they did with this jeep but it was well used..

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 12:55am
That drive shaft in the picture looks like it is the wrong one and is to big in diameter.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 1:03am
Well that could be.....

When I posted the picture I had the same thought...that shaft looks too big....

I wonder where it came from? It doesn't appear to have been shortened or lengthened....

Should it have a mark or part number or anything on it?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 2:10am
  Scroll down the forum page to 'Parts List' and select special equipment and Mike has a pic and part # of a PTO drive shaft for a CJ2A.
     Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 2:22am
I don't know...it looks pretty similar....

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/pto-drive-shaft_topic11055.html

I'll get a picture of mine...the main shaft is 2.5 inches in diameter...the small end of the flange/cv joint is 2.3"

Edited by 1955cj5 - 24 Sep. 2014 at 2:33am
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 7:00pm
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 7:38pm
Thanks for that link and picture.....

I'm still uncertain if the one I have is larger......I have no plans to put it back on as now I have an OD and I do not have the PTO/OD adapter....

Edit:...I took a picture from about the same angle....it does look as though the tube is larger on mine...but not by much!

Edited by 1955cj5 - 24 Sep. 2014 at 7:53pm
rskene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 10:00pm
The driveshaft I bought didn't come off a CJ2A but I was assured it was the same.  I wondered if the diameter was too big, but I measured it at 2.5" and that sounds like the right size.
Bob Skene   Oxdrift, ON
1946 CJ2A s/n 44494
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2014 at 11:25pm
It's interesting that your's is also 2.5"...and that it didn't quite fit without modification....

Eventually someone will log on who has an original installed.....

I know that my engine at one time or another was sitting very low in the frame. It appeared that it had been rubbing on the front diif housing if that is possible.... it may have raised the rear of the PTO adapter so high that the shaft hit the frame.....
Bountyhunter81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bountyhunter81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2014 at 12:26am
Im running into the same situation. I have all the correct parts and bought a shaft out of a 2A but the shaft hits the crossmember. I it is just slightly hitting but it is enough that it wont bolt up.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2014 at 1:01am
I haven't been under my 2a for awhile but I think the cross member has a little scoop out of it.I may have even removed a little more to make the shaft fit without touching.
rskene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rskene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2014 at 1:41am
We just unbolted the rear of the transmission/transfer case from its hanger and lowered it about half an inch.  That was enough to allow the pto shaft to be bolted on to the front and rear gearboxes, just clearing the body cross-member.  Then we welded little tabs onto the hanger so we could bolt it back on, in its new position, to the cross-member that supports it . 
The tiny amount we lowered the rear of the transmission wasn't enough to compromise motor mounts or tilt the fan too close to the rad.  As near as we can tell, the pto shaft problem is solved.  I don't actually have any pto implements, but I spent a lot of money on the rear gearbox and the shaft and it was bugging me that we couldn't make it function.
Bob Skene   Oxdrift, ON
1946 CJ2A s/n 44494
Bleveaux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bleveaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 2:42am
Here is a picture of my '46 with the body off. Hope this helps
Bill LeVeaux
Central Oregon Cascades
CJ2A and TJ, almost enough Jeeps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>