Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie with a SPEN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie with a SPEN
    Posted: 11 Oct. 2014 at 8:50pm
Hi all, I recently came across a Spen trailer and didnt know what I was looking at. A quick search brought up this site and I have to say that I am so glad it did. I have been searching for a couple of years for an old flat-fender Jeep, but had no idea that there was a group like this. I knew that I wanted a Bantam trailer to go along with my Jeep one day, so that is what I have searched for. This little trailer looked awful close, but not exactly like the Bantams I have seen.

Anyway, its a great little trailer - in what I think is original shape. I cant find any dents or dings and the rust is all surface rust, no rot or even pinholes. The paint looks original too, I think. The wheels seem to be two-tone green outer and red center. 

I've read a couple of threads on here concerning Spen, but I look forward to hearing any additional info you guys may have.

Side

Rear

Passenger side

Tongue

Floor

Below deck.

Sorry for the bad phone pics. 

CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 12:56am
Hi Batjac,
congrats for that Spen ! 
Looks great !! It has 2 very important things for a Spen !
Original wheels with the hubcaps and the original hitch.
I have a Spen Model S, but has a different chains in the rear door. 
Mine has a square axle and 5 nuts.
Yours has also a square axle, so I guess has 5 nuts per wheel. Please confirm
In one of the posts you can see some photos of my trailer.
Please, in order to compare, could you check reflector marks ?
Cheers

Edited by CHARLIE JEEP - 12 Oct. 2014 at 1:00am
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 1:54am
OMG That trailer is Haunted! Don't ask how I know , I just do. You should sell it to me immediately to break the curse(Gettin Close To Halloween ) So I thought I'd try. Seriously ,Congrats on a very nice unmolested find. Nice to see stuff is still out there.
jeepnut48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnut48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 5:01am
Hello Batjac,good looking trailer,these trailers are getting very hard to find,also parts are not easy to come by either!A lot of them have been modified looks like yours is all original except for lights!Very rare find,also looks like it has been out of the weather by the condition!Congratulations!Smile
cj2a51-10
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 5:37pm
Thanks for the comments - regarding the wheels, yes they are five lug (bolts). Not sure concerning the markings on the reflectors, but I'll grab a look at them this afternoon.

One question - do I hurt the value of the trailer if I sandblast it and repaint it? I would like to clean up the rust on this thing, not sure about a restoration though.

jeepnut48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnut48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 5:53pm
Could not tell you for sure if that would hurt the value,but I would not think it would,if it did it would not be by much!I know if I was looking for one that would be less that I would have to spend to get it restored,but that is my opinion!I have one that needs a lot more work than yours,I am planning to do that to mine next spring!Smile
cj2a51-10
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 9:18pm
Although not a Bantam, I have read somewhere, that the Spen is a "Willys Approved" accessory. A nice find indeed young Batjac 65. You have done well...

The serial# should be found on the frame rail, just in front of the right fender. I'm no expert, but I think the upper tail lights, aren't stock.

As for stripping, and painting? My vote is YES. Granted, it IS a survivor, and its only original once, but I feel that the "Patina" is a bit too close to rust. I say, paint it...
Follow my build here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/murph_topic29621.html

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 10:16pm
Nice trailer in great shape. Just a little info, and this might be common knowledge, but, If you go to redo the bearings, those hub covers are threaded. Obvious once you see the hex on them. I did not realize it at first. Never expected them to go to the trouble of threading them. Nowadays is just tap in. Real craftsmanship back then.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2014 at 6:30pm
I have one as well and yours looks like an earlier series like mine, judging by the tailgate chains. Looks like it's all there too, even the landing leg.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2014 at 2:09am
Charlie Jeep - I'm attaching a couple of photos of the reflectors with the marks.

I believe it says "DO-RAY 100" on the metal trim and "S.P. NO. 14" on the plastic portion.

CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2014 at 9:27pm
Hi. Many thanks for your reflector´s photos.
As I understand, the SPEN Model S had in the drivers side, a tail light lamp and in the passenger´s side, a reflector on the fender.
Same disposition as the CJ-2A. 
Mine has this reflector :

I think it´s the original, but with trailers and Jeep you never know............
Cheers,
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
 Post Reply Post Reply