Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 141>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2024 at 8:18pm
So I am pretty sure that for the first time in CHUGS storied 76 years of life. CHUG now has the ability to be locked up secure. Granted in the past there have been ways to secure the majority of items being hauled around. But this is the first time CHUG can now keep someone from touching his knobs and switches.

After getting the Hard top doors assembled enough to be able to drive it to my big company start up meeting and training session. I tore this place up looking for the silly keys for the door locks and of course no where to be found.

SO after the meeting I drove into Salem to the one true old school Lock smith in the area (Only 70 years in business in building built in 1923 like my house) And after some waiting around the people there were able to make me 3 keys for the door locks for the whopping sum of $15.00 SO as soon as I got home I put the drivers door back in and locked it up solid (I had pulled the window at work to show the guys how it works and cause it was too warm to not have the window open on the run to Salem.

Securing the stuff I want to haul around in CHUG was in the Top two of the reasons I built the hard top. NOT getting WET was the #1 reason and #3 was not being cold.

And yes I know a determined thief can break into almost anything. But the doors will be very hard to pry open the locks can be picked but not in the average meth heads skill set. And swinging a hammer or something at those 1/4" Polycarbonte windows will most likely get you a big bump on your head as the stuff just doesn't break like that LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2024 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Gistore Gistore wrote:

....,Had no intention of selling anything to you.............

My Bad on communication.
your build is inspiring 

My question would be.....how much of Mark's "inspiring build" did you actually read? If you read two pages you would know that he has his own ways of doing things and part of his whole 'thing' is choosing the hardware he already has in mind for the job.

My advice would be to reread BruceW's post on the previous page.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2024 at 12:16pm
His build is inspiring, that’s for certain. 
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2024 at 11:43am
Note joined Feb 2024
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2024 at 10:57am
  I have a good friend who has been banned from this forum for “promoting” his business…..
Just sayin’,,,,   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2024 at 9:41am
.....Ermm.....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WildBlue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2024 at 6:04pm
A collosal project Mark!  My brain feels like it ran a marathon just keeping up with your thinking & re -engineering!  But I certainly like the looks of the door hanging on the Jeep!  
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2024 at 4:00pm
Well That's disappointing.

I have the Passenger door hung and its very obvious that the doors will not be laying flat or any where near flat against the side of the top and tub when fully opened. The bottom of the door is way to close to almost touching the rear tire. Any kind of off road and they would touch. So I can still have them open while off road but I will have to create a much larger bump stop then I had been hoping. And of course some way to hold the door against the bump stop. Looks like the Width with the doors open will still be less then my Mirrors but still disappointing.

Took about an hour of fiddle farting around to get the door to close. It was hitting the front edge jam. The piece of 3/4" square tubing I have press fit over the 3A door channel on the Windshield. I still have a bunch of adjustments to make to get it better. But it will do for now to get me to the Company meeting tomorrow morning.

One of the things that will change is I'm going to make a small piece of Aluminum to move the Door Knob on the inside back about an inch to give the knuckles more clearance between the knob and the 3/4" square jam. Could be a knuckle buster the way it is. I also have about 3 places where the skin or 1/8" sheeting is to close to the Hinge and causing paint on the hinge to be scraped off. A little File work will solve that. Ten some touch up painting.

I was really worried about the Little tension knobs I have around the window either hitting the upper arm or somehow getting in the way. I don't think that will be a problem.

The door the way I designed it to follow the Tub door opening sure makes for a snug fit.

I also found a nice shop scratch right in the middle of my expensive Scratch resistant Polycarbonate window. I sure not the last one.

So time for lunch
Then the drivers door.

Once everything is as good as its going to get with the doors I will pull them and apply the .040" Aluminum skin.

Oh and yes I still need to finish up those damn front corners. But thats for another day.

Edited by Mark W. - 08 Mar. 2024 at 9:42am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2024 at 1:39am
Solved two problems today with a redesign. My tool rack has had two 1/2" D stainless Steel pins that act as the hinge pins to allow it to swing either direction. If I mount the LP tank on the back of the Hard Top I would not be able to get that hinge pin out. So I have changed the pins to two short pins that will allow removal. They also make Locking the Tool rack to the jeep easier. I can drill a 17/64" hole in the end of the top upper hinge pins and using a Masterlock Trailer hitch lock I can add some security to the whole thing. The way these locks are designed and with using them through the pivot pin there will be no way for bolt cutters to reach the Lock bail. Granted it won't stop a battery powered grinder but its something. The two bottom pins will just have Clothes Pin type keepers. SO real fast to open.

So now I have a way to be able to mount the LP tank where I want it and to lock the Pioneer Tool rack. The gas cans will lock to the rack.

Pretty soon I'm going to need one of them custodian key rings on the retractor just for the Willys LOL

On a side note my Summer sleeping bag (its like the size of a roll of Paper towels when packed) and my new 4 man straight wall tent that will allow two good sized cots to be setup in it showed up. Cot is supposed to be here tomorrow.

I been think so much on the August Willys run in Idaho that I need to plan a shake down trip to make sure everything will work. Maybe something over 4th of July.  It will be a 4 day weekend at work being its on Thursday this year. They used to have guys show up for work on Friday but they tended to be in such bad shape it wasn't worth it LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2024 at 3:18am
Well I got the drivers door primed with Zinc Chromate On the window and jam surfaces Also did the lower interior panel so I can get those areas painted tomorrow that need to be black. While that paint dries I can finish up the Passenger door and get it ready for primer (except I have to wait until at least Thursday for the Primer to show up. So If I am going to drive CHUG to the big company start up meeting Friday I'll have to reassemble the passenger door and just run it. Hopefully no rain Friday.

I would have gotten a lot more done today but the State of Oregon decided three weeks before I never have to use Unemployment again to completely change their computer system and no matter how I try to log in and ID myself to this new easier to use system will it verify me. SO I spent 4 frecking hours listening to the most brain dead hold music possible only to have my phone hang up on me. SO I guess I get to do that tomorrow as well if I can even get them to answer.

BOY is it faster modifying and creating the molding parts for the passenger door when I have an example right there to measure things like screw spacing and for just the basic HOW to DO it. I should have the Passenger door ready for Primer by tomorrow evening Might even have the interior pieces done as well. I could use some other primer but I really want to have the Zinc stuff on the doors due to the additional exposure they will suffer,

I even found some cheesy plastic bolt head covers that will cover the 4) nuts that hold the Lock in place. I might have to put a little dot of glue on them to hold them in place no matter what. The wife uses this glue in her crafting that is a little gummy even when set up should work well to put a drop on the nut and push the cover into it.

So looking and measuring it appears mounting my 11lb propane tank on the back of the hard top would not be a great idea. Its just a little to big. I wouldn't be able to pull the hinge pin for the tool rack on which ever side I mounted it. Without dismounting the tank and that would be annoying. So I am now looking at buying a little 5lb tank. Amazon has them for $50 and around here the 1lb Coleman bottles run $10 on sale (I knew I should have bought more when they were $5.00 each) So with it costing about $3.00 to fill a 5lb tank here in town so $50 divided by $10.0 is equal to 5 small bottles the propane is $3 instead of $50 The math is making my late night head hurt but the 5lb tank has to pay for itself compared to 5 bottles. And it takes up less room. I already have the hose and such to hook to my stove.

I can only imagine what a 1lb bottle of propane some place like Frenchglenn or Fields Oregon must run. SO logic says the 5lb bottle will save me money on one week long trip. And I can mount it up high enough I think I can get the hinge pin out when needed.

I bought the 11lb tank for the Trailer anyway.

I know I know off in the weeds again.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2024 at 7:50pm
OH I got my second Wavian Fuel can. SO now when I am bored of working on Doors I can fab up the Dual Fuel can mount for the Tool rack.

I got a bunch of new camping gear arriving this week with the goal of the Idaho Vintage Jeep Rally in August. I got all kind of camping gear some dating back to my Backpacking days in High School and College. But when turning CHUG into a Off road RV certain things need to be a certain size LOL. And I'm to old to sleep on the ground and not wake up very cranky. SO a nice Cot and a tent a human older then 6 can stand up in are coming. Along with a Sleeping bag much more suited to 80°F then the one I currently have which is suited to below freezing temps.

I'm really looking forward to building the special drawers for the back of CHUG as well as The Platform to get me a second level of storage.

Still trying to figure out how to mount the little 11 pound Propane tank I have somehow to the tool rack. My son says to mount it to the front bumper where a winch would fit. He says that way we can blow up from both ends. (10 gallons of E-10 hangin off the rack in the back) SHould be interesting what ever I come up with. The dual fuel cans first. Then a way to secure my 7 gallon Gary water jug on top of them. Maybe I can figure out a way to mount it to the Rack but have it up high under the Vent or AM/FM antenna The easy way of course would be had I planned on this to have had a way to put a mount directly on the back of the Hard top. Hmmm have to look at how I could do that and have it removable.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2024 at 7:22pm
So its been a slog. First trying to figure out how to do the door window install. Then actually making all the parts and modifying others. Then I had to make the lower door interior wall (its made from .040" Aluminum sheet) Once I had that patterned then I had to make the panel below the window lets call it the rub panel. As its where my elbow will rub against if I'm touching the door. I also came up with a really slick way to lock the doors from the inside (these are basically a Pickup truck Tool box latch with an interior knob) it involves a simple Micrata Toggle that rotates behind the bolt preventing it from retracting and allowing the door to open. Use will tell me if I need to do something else. But with Suicide doors I really wanted something simple and Positive to prevent the door from opening and this does that.

I'm going with a Black fabric on the door interiors hoping it will show dirt a little less then the Gray. I'll most likely at some point make up a Black panel about 2" wide to go around the inside of the top where the walls and roof sections meet to help tie it all together looks wise.

I still have to adjust the thickness of the Micarta strips that are the clamping surface that will push the installed window into the foam weather striping. Easy enough once I get how thick I want it figured out I'll just put the pieces in the Milling machine vise and crank away with a mill end. Then a little Hand sanding with some 220 for a smooth finish.

The Lower panel right now has a void behind it but after I get a chance to prime all the interior metal on the doors I will place a layer of Saran wrap on the inside of the void and then spray foam in between I'll have to be careful to have it clamped just right I don't want the foam expanding and moving anything. The Saran warp is a barrier layer to keep the foam from sticking to the panels. Allowing me should I need to to remove the panel and the foam. The Foam will also help sound deaden the door.

The doors are not exactly the same so while having already done one the Right door should go much faster I will still have some careful measuring and sizing to do.

Here is a view of the Driver Door interior. Keep in mind all the Aluminum will end up A Satin or Semi gloss Black when finished.

I'm going to make a arm rest that will clamp in place of the Window when its removed. I might also work out how to make it an Arm rest lower on the door when the Window is in.
And Of course I still have to Skin the outer door. I want to live with the Windows for a week or so before I Skin the doors as there will be no changing some of my clamping system once the Skins are Bonded on.

Our Big Company Start up meeting is this Friday so the fun and games are about to come to a screaming halt once the weather breaks. 

End of April Audrey retires End of March I will start taking SSI. Then its on to August which is where if all goes well my coming retirement. 

Edited by Mark W. - 03 Mar. 2024 at 7:24pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2024 at 11:40pm
Sometimes I hate myself and the crap I get into. Today I started merrily along building the new parts for the front jam on the doors that will allow passage of the windows through them. In the process I drilled and tapped a whole bunch of little 6-32 holes and counter sunk screws in them to hold two piece of bar stock together. In the process I decided doing it that way was going to leave the piece to week where I have to notch the front jam to clear the original soft top top door hinge on the windshield and where the Bolt for my door lock passes the jam.

So I went to Salem hoping to find a piece of 1/2" square to make a beefier part. No luck as no one carries anything like that is Salem. While at dinner after doing our Taxes. I realize I can make this piece from some scrap 1/2" sheet I have.

So when I get home I start digging through the pile of Aluminum to find just the right piece. Its of course some weird angle cut piece so I am trying to scribe out two of these on the piece which is just barely big enough. Its Just a PITA

So I decide to draw out what I need to cut on the original piece so I can then take it into the living room and sit and do a good drawing to make sure I get these new pieces just right. Well while I am felt markering up the two pieces of 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar stock that are laminated together held in place by some 10-32 flat head screws I notice that if I just move the screws to one side I can cut the original piece down to make what I need. Avoiding a half a dozen PITA things I would have had to deal with making new pieces. I can rough cut on my bandsaw the section out making the area that window has to pass through 1/2" wide instead of 1" wide then I can put it in my milling machine vise and cut it nice and smooth just a little 220 grit and its perfect.

Took two full days to solve the problem that I made way more complicated along the way.

I think I could fill a small wheel barrow with the cast off parts and pieces I have had in this project trying to figure out how to best do something.

I think once I get this Willys all done and the off road trailer I'm going back to building Control Line model Airplanes from scratch they were so much easier.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2024 at 12:00pm
Maybe I think I got a good handle on how to do this now. I'll keep the clamping type molding but now instead of having to remove those pieces to get the window out from behind them I will be able to slip the window out the front through a redesigned front jam. The key will be being able to use pieces of heavier stock to replace most of the rigidity lost from having no connection between the jam and the sheeting on the door window surround. 

Should have something to show in photos by end of the week. Now I am just hoping I don't get called back to work for a couple more weeks so I can get the doors done. Cause working on it weekends with the weather getting better the wife will be all over me to work on the front of the house and to rebuild the front yard after all the street work the city has done has destroyed it.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2024 at 7:59am
Needs more screws   ?  Confused
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2024 at 2:14am
Think I got it figured out. I'm going to change the forward edge of the door to allow the window to pass through it by changing to steel for part of the new structure. To add strength. Just have to get it all on paper. Might not get to bed until late tonight LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2024 at 1:25am
Thinking on the future of my Hard to door windows

So going insane trying to come up with a way to remove and store my door windows that does not involve a tool, take to long to justify, or leak water. I'm on a path that I think is going to work. But it also got me thinking. The doors are the one thing I could change at some point in the future. Granted the new version would still have to be of the Suicide variety but as the doors only attach to the top via the Hinge and it would be easy to transfer the screw holes to a new door jam it makes changing the doors at some point a very doable project.

Roll down windows are of course the dream. But unless the door sits out side of the body the window is either small or the geometry can't work. I have thought about something I toyed with early on and then got away from and that would be to have the window in a channel that allowed the window to pull out towards the front of the door. I would still be able to have the same size door window and the window could store as this version will in channels beside the rear side windows. A big change to the front edge of the door would have to take place and the weather stripping would also have to change maybe to something like a wiper blade like cars used to have.

Yep just went out in the shop and I think the front slip out type window is very doable. in fact with a little additional trim to hide the screws that hold the front jam to the rest of the door I think I can modify these doors sometime in the future to work that way.

You see the double run of flat head screws running up the front edge those hold the under sheeting to the frame. If I do something with the Skin that allows later access to those screws then I can make modifications to the front jam. The rest of the window opening would not have to change only the way the weather stripping is done and the current adhesive backed foam can be removed with not to much effort.

Sometimes I think to much.

Edited by Mark W. - 28 Feb. 2024 at 1:26am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2024 at 8:45pm
And sometimes you just have to change to a different GEAR.

I started working on finishing the Doors this morning and it soon became obvious that the method I was going to use to be able to take the Windows out easily had three big problems. The hinges I was going to use to pivot the moldings out of the way were going to be a huge PITA to get all screwed to the frame and I didn't have enough of them which would entail a 3 day wait for shipping and more $. Also the Idea of having little twist lock toggles to hold the moldings in place when the windows were in place were going to be a problem getting them to retain tension.

SO in the middle of it I changed how the whole thing is going to be done. When I get it done I will of course show photos. As its like most of the insane stuff I do hard to explain. But it will be much cleaner looking and be actually self adjusting.

On another note the little plastic spring clips came in for my Prop Rods and I got those in place as well as running the Weather stripping along the bottom of the Hatch. Now the only way exhaust fumes can come in the back of the jeep is through the narrow (less then 3/32" gap between the tail gate and the rear of the Tub. And I will just have to figure out how to close that up if the smell still makes it in the cab.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 141>