Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 141>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 5:04am
Yea guide coat paint is on my shopping list for next trip into town. I think once I get setup here in a couple days to shoot the Hi Build primer that will give me a much better idea of what my sub straight actually looks like.

This 3M filler really shows you variations on how much hardener you use in a batch. The Blue creme hardener will turn the stuff baby puke green if you get to much LOL

I just slapped a nice thick coat of the stuff all over the top of the left fender it will cure over night and I can sand 75% of it off tomorrow.

One unique side benefit of doing the Filler is its quiet. My shop is directly below the bedroom with no insulation in the floor. So anything downstairs is heard upstairs. And the wife typically goes to bed between 8:30 and 9:00 while I tend to stay up quite late in the winter when not working.

I been leaving my shop stereo on all the time so that she will always have some background sound so I can make a little noise. But running a machine is out of the question. SO Body filler is perfect I just need to do the metal prep and banging early in the day then I can at least get a coat of filler on and sanded in the late evening when normally I would be stuck with my drawing pencil Note pad and TV. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 3:35am
I like to use a guide coat when it gets that close, I find that sometimes a straight edge can be misleading. When done with a long sanding board and a guide coat if something is a fraction of an inch off straight it won't show anyway ,sort of like working on a boat. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 2:41am
SO I started actual body filler work yesterday. On the top of the right fender. Now both my fenders had been messed with before. And of course my changing the size of the battery notch on the right and replacing the panel with the louvers in it on the left as well as both Fender Gussets did nothing to help their flatness.

A while back a wrestled around with them for a day or two getting them as close to level and parallel as I could.

I now know beyond a shadow of a doubt my Idea of a flat Willys Jeep Panel and Chugs Idea of the same are very different.

OR maybe I should be judging things with an 18" Machinists rule. Seams like I hold it on there shine my light behind it to see any gaps and if there is one its like 1/64th to 1/32nd inches deep I then smear some more of this excellent 3M filler in the area and wait the required amount of time then I carefully with a 17" long flat board sander smooth it out. Yet checking it later theres still a little gap. Maybe I shouldn't worry about such a ting gap until I am in the Hi Build Primer stage.

At any rate Waiting for the 2" aluminum Defroster ducting to show up on the Brown truck so I can finish that project. And will be doing one panel at a time until all this is ready for Primer.

Going to have to figure out how to do some priimering as I go can't let all this shinny steel sit out to long.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:05am
I ain't sayin'. Wink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:40am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I was thinking about putting a couple of them Snowmobile hand grip warmers in the wifes seat. She really liked the heated seats in a rental BMW we had in Germany once LOL.

I've never seen a need for heated seats myself.  I warm 'em up okay the old-fashioned way...  Wink
Does that involve baked beans or curry and then the hot air produced by them?
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:16am

I was thinking about putting a couple of them Snowmobile hand grip warmers in the wifes seat. She really liked the heated seats in a rental BMW we had in Germany once LOL.

I've never seen a need for heated seats myself.  I warm 'em up okay the old-fashioned way...  Wink
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 6:13am
Yea if you have a fresh air intake system for the heater you can do that. With a recirculating air heater like the Summit Heater I have any air moving through the core will move heat into the cabin. ON a 79 they don't have a Temp control on the heater? as normally that would be the water valve.  I'm setting this one up like the heater in my 66 F-250 (minus the fresh air) It had three controls 3 speed fan, Temperature (water control valve) and Defrost (air baffle directing the output from the heater to the cabin or defroster).

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 4:06am

I would venture through the guy did not have a water control valve on the heater so it ran full out all the time and the only thing he could adjust was the speed of the fan. I'm not making that mistake LOL.

I couldn't tell you if the mid-'70s CJ used a valve in the water line, but I can say that there isn't a valve in the line of an '89 YJ.  The water is always circulating through the heater core and the air is directed either through the core or around it.  It's the "new, improved!" way of automobile ventilation.
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 8:32pm
Mark,

Whatever you do I know it will be done with your usual attention to detail. Your Jeep is looking good! And if I had not mentioned it before, I love the name. Big smile
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 8:19pm
Larry thats very similar to what my plan is. But I will be using a much more compact hose (I will not be lowering my windshield since I will have a hard top on the Jeep almost all the time) I also want to make an aluminum box that will run along the bottom of the glass so the defrost has two vents.

Thanks for the photo they always help my thought process.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 5:54pm
Mark,

FYI....here is how my defroster is setup....my Dad made a spring steel clip secured to the windshield bolt and used a small vacuum cleaner nozzle...not the most beautiful but it works pretty well.

Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 5:39pm
Very nice, I'm always amazed. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:42am
OK so I feel like those guys on TV building Hot Rods with the terrible dead line. I got to work tomorrow and I really wanted the Heater installed in the Tub today. Even though it has to come right out. All this kind of custom stuff has to be done before I can prime and paint so I figured might as well get on with it.

First up is mocking up the mount on the firewall side trying to figure out where to drill holes and what stand offs I would need to match the un even firewall. I used the Lower Air Cleaner Mount hole for one of the Heater Mount holes. SO that kind of locates everything. I did all the drilling and such from the firewall side. Only thing I did under the dash was stuff the thing up in there and bolt it down.

I have a little more then 1/4" between the top of the heater and the underside of the cowl.

This one shows a bunch of details on the right side. The Heater in this Photo is mounted under the dash. The Inlet hose will be a PITA to attach to the Water control Valve unless I do that before stuffing it up in there as its right behind the Dash.

This one is under the Dash showing the Bulkhead fittings. The White PVC tubing will be part of the Conduit that I run my electrical to the back of the tub in. The open hole will also be an electrical Port I have no decided if it will get just a Grommet or a short section of PVC tubing.

This one just shows how much the Heater extends down below the edge of the Dash. I'll also have about a 2" deep Air control box on this but I am thinking it will be angled so as to take up as little room as possible in the foot well.

YES I KNOW ITS CROOKED I'll address that when its in stall for real

Next up is making that air control box and figuring out how I am going to move hot air to the defroster. Current thinking is the Column shift notch above the Steering column since that will be mostly hidden behind the Tach and vacuum Gauge on the Steering column. I just wish it was bigger (and may end up bigger before I am done!)

Edited by Mark W. - 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:45am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 10:45pm
OH my I think I got the location for my Heater mounting holes figured out. I just did everything on the firewall side instead of under the dash. Had to make some 2.375" stand offs to compensate for the shape of the firewall. Going to be fun actually hooking it all up under there. I have it moved slightly towards the center of the Dash compared to some of the stock heaters. My IN and OUT for the heater point straight up toward the under side of the cowl and are on the right end of the heater. SO I had to get creative on the plumbing routing as you see in the photo above. I got all the fittings soldered up yesterday using some Soft Silver solder I had. (I actually have like 8-10 lbs of various solders from all the various hobbies and my years as a Knifemaker)

Back later with some photos?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 2:30am
GOOD thats what the Wife likes She can run a blanket down to the heater vents and keep warm while I run around in a tee shirt with the window open. I would venture through the guy did not have a water control valve on the heater so it ran full out all the time and the only thing he could adjust was the speed of the fan. I'm not making that mistake LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 1:14am

this is a popular heater for guys to use in Jeeps. I read it is one heck of a cooker on high.

I read a review once of a mid-70s CJ where the heater was described as having 3 positions: "hot", "hotter", and "I said REPENT, sinner!!"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 6:22am
Photo of whole roll bar fabbed up and ready to tack weld.

And today's fiddling around with the Summit Heater I am putting in CHUG. I mounted a 1966 Ford Bronco water control valve on the box and figured out the best way to route hoses using as few hose clamps as possible. The 90 degee brass PEX elbow will get turned down a little and it along with another PEX elbow will get sweat soldered into a 1/2" copper pipe coupler so the Hose can go in a gentle curve to the bulk head fitting. Left the hose long until I figure out where this is going to mount and distance to Bulkhead fittings.

Having the water valve under the dash may seam a little wrong but theres just no room in the engine compartment for it based on some other things that will be on the Firewall and this way running a control cable to it is brain dead easy. Also if it starts leaking I'll know right away!

Edited by Mark W. - 27 Jan. 2018 at 6:44am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 11:33pm
YEA not complete failure! Actually I got the Left side brace cut to length and notched plenty close enough to work. It hits the lay out mark dead on and the Vertical section is square to the plate YEA!

But we (my son showed up) were getting everything all lined up and I find the Main hoop is pinched (each leg is slightly off 90 degrees) so I put a spreader in between the two legs and managed to get it closer. I guess I should just keep cranking on the spreader some more. Right now its about 1/4" off how wide it should be. I could just pull it into place when I Tack Weld it in place but I would rather it was not stressed when I weld it. I would hate for it to move while welding.

AT any rate the worry about the roll bar fabrication is over. Time to go play with something else for a day or two.

I been working on how I want to plumb my Summit Racing Heater and 66 Bronco Water control valve. I'm going to use some 1/2" copper pipe to to do some of the under dash plumbing it will be so much cleaner then bulky Heater hose. I would worry about Copper (pipe) and Aluminum (radiator) causing electrolysis. But since the Heater core is copper that's moot.

Still don't have the final design for the Defroster Baffle that I will be putting on the bottom of the heater. But I know how I want it to work.

I'll do some nice photos of what I am doing with the Heater Plumbing since this is a popular heater for guys to use in Jeeps. I read it is one heck of a cooker on high. The wife will love it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 141>