Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 140>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 4:34pm
Mark,

Is there an on-board compressor to refill the tank or is this set up as a fill before a trip with an external air compressor?  Looks like the one advertised with a little compressor.  Is this to air up tires or run something like air adjustable seats or a air horn? 

I really like what you have done with the tank.  

Stev

Edited by Stev - 15 Nov. 2018 at 5:32pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 8:38pm
I have a Viair 400C compressor that will mount behind the right inner fender.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 6:56am
OK some basic On Board Air system details

The compressor is a Viair 400C (150psi operating pressure unit)

The tanks are 1 gallon Viair each tank will have its own drain petcock

All lines will be 1/4" using compression fittings (this was recommended by the old sage Truck Mechanic at work I basically trust my life to the air system he maintains on my dump truck so why not go with his advise on the Willys)

I designed and made my own Air manifolds (distribution blocks)

Stewart Warner Deluxe Air Pressure gauge dash mounted

Viair 110psi to 145psi control switch with a manual on/off on the dash

Viair HD Relay to control the compressor along with a matching HD fuse unit

I will have quick connect chucks in the engine compartment, up under the middle of the dash, and in the Electrical connection box in the rear of the jeep where my trailer connectors are. I'll have a short coiled air hose  I can use to blow crud out of the tub and then a longer hose stored to inflate tires or if I need to operate an air tool etc.

Inflating tires either for off road use or repair (I plan to carry a Radial tube with me) Air tool operation (the tanks will help with this)I will have the plumbing in my off road trailer pressurized and will also have a DOT 4 gallon air tank in the trailer (this will really help with air tool use) of course cleaning anything from Spark plug pockets to bugs out of the radiator and the floor of the tub. Many even a beach toy for the grand daughters.

If I can figure out where to hide it I will have an Air Horn

It was suggested on another forum I use the Roll bar as an air tank but I figured that there will be moisture in the tanks and I wanted nothing that could weaken the roll bar and figured a good drain would be a PITA.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 7:47pm
Well Went ahead and got the first coat of Herculiner on the floor of CHUG. I went to screen it and there was nothing that wouldn't have passed through a 3/32" screen or maybe smaller. So I figure I wouldn't bother trying to separate it out. I did find I liked the coverage best when I dappled it on a with a 1" polyester brush and the roller tended to glob it up a bit. I got the First coat as even as I could. Now waiting for it to cure up some 1-3 hours it says. Its almost 60% Humidity in the spray booth and its raining outside (I have the spray booth door open) So theres plenty of Humidity to cause it to set up.

I made a bent wire paint stirrer and used my Makita angle drill to stir it (800 rpm seamed about right) I stirred it a couple times while painting.

Next coat will need to be a bit thinner as I have barely 1/2 of the material left. (it was just a quart can) But I think that will workout fine.

I sure hope I like this on the floor and tunnel cause it sure looks like heck to remove LOL.

Photos later my big worry now is getting the second coat on before we are supposed to head to the Kids for Dinner at 3:00-3:30

Then it can set up while we are away at the Kids for the evening.

The texture in the paint appears to be the shape of sand.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2018 at 9:41pm
SO second coat isn't going to happen today. Which is fine the instructions say within 24 hours so I'll let it set up over night and do the second coat tomorrow morning which has the advantage of being able to buy more should I feel like I need more.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2018 at 3:01am
So its not setting up like it should I guess along with humidity it needs a higher temp. I put my little space heater under the tub to gentle a little heat towards it. I'll let it run until bed time. Should be able to second coat in the morning as planned.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2018 at 8:21pm
PHOTOS !!!! the Bedliner floor mess is done. Here are some photos then I will explain and offer what I think I learned.

Ok you will notice I masked off the Transmission cover, the PTO cover the three body mount bolts and the Brake Cyl access cover. I did this so that they would all seal down well.

I used 1) Quart can of Herculine Bedliner. to do what I did I have a couple ounces left over. I got two good thick coats on the Floor and Toe Boards as well as the Tunnel.

I did not use the special texture foam roller like is included in one of their kits. I ONLY used the Quart can of Bedliner. I instead used a 1" Poly cheap paint brush cost like less then 3 bucks at ACE.

Instead of rolling it on I dabbed it on like you would using a Stencil brush.

I mixed the material with a 800 rpm rechargeable drill and a bent Wire mixing thing (I made it from some coat hanger wire) I mixed the stuff for about 3 minutes at first and then again every time I poured some from the can. I used a pint plastic paint mixing cup to actually paint out of.

MASK EVERY THING CLOSE TO WHERE YOU WORK THE STUFF CAN SPLATTER TINNY DROPS WHEN APPLYING.

I used Blue Masking tape and it worked OK but I did get some spread. It is suggested on some reviews to use Frog Tape since frog tape is only special when used with Latex paint I think it would be a waste of money.

I bought a can of Xylene thinner and as the instructions cautioned let nothing else come close to the material.

I wore double latex gloves when I got some bedliner on the first pair I peeled them off. Changed gloves a couple time.

It took almost 20 hours for the stuff to set up enough to put on the second coat. My weather in the spray booth was 50-55% Humidity and 50-55 degrees temp. I am sure at 70 degrees it would have set up in the 1-4 hours the instructions called for. I waited until I could put my hand on it and there was NO transfer before applying the second coat which I put on a little heavier.

I had talked about straining out any big chunks but all the media in the stuff was sand size so much finer then I thought it would be.

It is very non skid. Came out with a decent sheen and gloss matches my Jet Black floor as well as I had hoped for.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD VENTILATION

I used Q-tips and Xylene to clear up some of the spread under the tape. I have some touch up to do to get the edges as nice as I want.

Make sure you have some clean rags some where to put the paint brush down etc.

I bought two brushes and threw them away after each coat. Not worth the PITA to try to clean them.

My total cost for the Floor I covered

Bedliner $25 at NAPA (I think I got about $5.00 off with my discount)
Paint brushes and mixing cups $9.00
Tape ....maybe $1.00

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 4:23am
Going to shift some project gears for a couple days.

A while back I bought a Harbor Freight 8 Drawer bottom chest and a 7 drawer side chest. Its time to figure out how to wedge them into my little 8ft sq. tool room. To do this I have to pretty much move all my tools out of the room.

To do this I am going to set up my big layout table (the one I built the tub on) in the carport and move as much as I can and get the Two roll away stacks moved around. And hopefully by Sunday evening I'll have it all back together.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2018 at 6:44pm
The tub is looking fantastic Mark. Clap 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 1:27am
Thanks Dennis I will have a few places to touch up paint with a little hobby brush once I get farther along but all and all I am pretty happy. The floor bedliner stuff is all set up now and is just about the way I had hoped. I am sure it will act as a sound deadener once I throw a floor mat over it and I doubt the floor mat will more its very skid resistant.

My buddy from next door was over the other day and we were talking how awesome the floor is going to look once I get all the White Oak Strips laid in and screwed down.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2018 at 11:22pm
Mark, your Chug has got to be the most detailed 2A project ever. I'll be interested in how easy (or not) that bedliner floor is to keep clean. I reckon the durability will be excellent. Keep us posted.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 4:24am
I too am worried about how to keep the rough texture bedliner clean. I figure a bristle brush and some soapy water would take care of most. I'll do the same as I do in the dump truck and keep the floor free of dust and light soils with the air hose.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2018 at 5:33pm
The tub looks REALLY good Mark! Again, your attention to detail is inspiring.
SmileClap
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 6:47pm
SO lets call this one TOOL BOX 2.0

As you guys remember I am doing a completely flat rear floor. The floor and the top of the Tool box are all one piece of 16ga steel pop riveted down to the .75 x 1.5 x .090A" steel tubing frame work.

The Tool box lid is a composite material used in Sign making that is a sandwich of two layers of aluminum with center layer of some sort of plastic. This makes the panel very rigid. And perfect for the style lid I wanted. It will support my weight standing on it (I weigh 260lbs)

A short section of Stainless Piano Hinge and a Pair of Drawer locks secure the lid in place.

Remember I will be adding 3/8" x 1 3/8" White Oak strips over the rivet lines. These will be secured with 10-32T Stainless Button heads counter sunk into the wood.

So the Tool Box with Lid closed

Under side of Tool Box Lid showing the locks (I plan on making some sort of pocket here to hold a trail version of the service manual along with my own notes since so much of CHUG is not quite stock LOL))

And the open Tool Box this shows off the 1/4" x 1/2" black foam weather stripping that will help seal up the Tool Box. (thought this is less important since I will be running an Aluminum Hard top perminately as soon as I get it made.  I painted the inside of the Tool Box with a brush using an ACE anti Rust paint Hopefully it will show itself to be durable. I wanted a light color in the tool box to make it easier to find stuff.

The sides of the Tool Box are original metal (granted pieced together from 3-4 boxes) Complete with the JEEP on the front. I kept the little drain in the front of the box. But other then that the box is pretty sealed up.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 7:48pm
Man oh man, Mark--Chug is a NASA-quality project! Beautiful handwork, really nicely thought out. Can't wait to see beauty shots of the fully finished jeep.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2018 at 8:25pm
You should get the proper offset arms for those cam locks and ditch those wood spacers.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 6:31am
The spacers are not wood they are a material called Micarta. A Phenolic and Linen based material variations of which are used for all sorts of bearings. I didn't want a metal contact as I know that as things loosen up that would just lead to a rattle. I drive a 2 year old Kenworth Dump truck so I have all the rattle I can handle in my life. You can't see it from this view but the other side of the blocks are sloped to allow a nice tight fit without scraping the paint off the frame work. I should also note the spacers are roughly .300" and while I have no doubt I could find a 1/4" and maybe a 3/8" offset neither would work as well since the Locks have to pull the lid down into the weatherstripping to seal up the opening.

I'm using the same material in place of the wood in my Hat Channels etc. Even parts of my fresh air intake are made from it.

I used to make my living as a Custom Knifemaker and I have kitchen knives I made 30 years ago using the same type Linen based Micarta for the handles and they almost look new.  They even make hard hats out of it!

Edited by Mark W. - 06 Dec. 2018 at 4:45pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 12:13am
So today I installed the Fuel Tank. I had been going to paint the tank Gray. but I figured the coating it came with would do. I can always paint it later if there turns out to be some reason for it.

I made 3.5" Diameter Rubber Pucks from a Mud Flap and some other thinner rubber I had on hand to isolate the tank from the floor. Took about 10 trys to get the right combo of thicknesses so the tank would lay pretty much flat (no rocking) and have the Fill Spout close to centered. I had to do a little Tubular modification (I used a piece of 1.75" roll bar tubing) to bend the Filler Neck to perfectly center it. Once I was happy I took it all apart and put the Filler neck Grommet in place.

I used the fancy hold down strap I detailed earlier only now painted. The rear tank hold down is also Rubber insulted with rubber washers above and below the foot of the little clamp.

Top view

Right Side Strap Anchor view

Right Side view. You really notice the rubber edging I put on the front of the tank in this photo.

Rear anchor clamp

And the Filler Neck through the grommet.

Now trying to decide what I want to do for a Gas cap. The Chrome ones which I like are not vented (I don't want to mess with installing a vent) and the original ones are Fugly

Talking with the neighbor we came to the conclusion I should buy a New Black Vented cap and then Turn a fancy Aluminum cover for it! Maybe I will LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 140>