Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:15am
Well thats cutting it close. I just checked the tracking on the paint and supplies I ordered and it says they will be here by end of day Thursday the 23rd Hope so I want to paint on the 25th.

I have the Tub all scuffed up and ready to be washed down with Prepall The Windshield frame has just a little left to do.

I have started masking off the tub WHAT A PITA. Having to mask off everything with the stuff I already installed in the tub and making sure nothing gets on the floor.

I made up a big light stand using two HF LED lights and a 3/4" pipe stand I was using to hold things while painting them WOrks pretty neat giving me a strip of LED light about Head high and 8' long I can move around as I paint.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:30am
DANG IT possible set back. Just received a Order shipped notice on my Paint Order and it now lists Saturday by end of day for delivery. I had wanted to be painting Sat. Morning. And while I do have about 7/8's of a Quart of my last batch of paint still on hand. I was hoping to start with the Tub and I'm not sure its enough for the two to three coats I want to spray on it. (Exterior and Dash only nothing under floor or wheel wells)

After today the only thing left to get ready for the repaint is the Hood and of course restoring the Spray booth. Oh and I have to get into Salem to buy another mask.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:13pm
So last night we got rained out. I was home a little after midnight. I could have gone out an gotten the hood ready for paint but screw it. So I watched TV for 3 hours until time for bed. This morning I managed to get up and in the shop by 11:30 And instead of the hood decided to finish a little project I started the other day when I decided the Butt Ugly Windshield Pivot Bolts weren't going to fit into my project.

So this is what I come up with. Made from some really nice high carbon shaft material.

The Flat Head Bolt inserted in the cap so I have something to tighten and loosen the Bolt with is set in place with some Red Locktite  In the photo they are just polished to 400 grit but will get painted Satin Black the same as the Pivot Brackets. I will put a thin Nylon washer between the Cap and the Windshield arm.

Since I doubt my Windshield will go up and down more then a couple times (I am planning a full time Aluminum Hard top) I thought these would look nice.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:02am
OH boy. Here we go again.

Found out more night work Next Week. SO no work until Tuesday evening. I have all the parts and pieces of Chug scuffed up and ready for a good washing prior to the additional coats of paint.

I got the wall of the Spray booth between the actual shop and the carport/garage now serving as a spray booth walled off with 4) big furnace filters and a refrigerator box. So all thats needed is to wall off the other end and set up the Fans. Then a Good cleaning for the Booth.

I should be able to paint Sunday the weather looks about ideal. I am planning on thinning the paint a little this time and use my old school detail gun. Taiwan version of this:

The Paint showed up today (or maybe yesterday they put it clear in the back of the garage/carport. Turns out the sand paper I ordered and hope to not need) is coming tomorrow.

If I can get Chug painted this weekend well enough to either live with the surface as is or thick enough to wet sand out with 1500 and then buff. I should be on track to have CHUG in final assembly by end of June. Might not make the local car show first week of August but I might be driving it before the winter sets in and I start working on the Hard top.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:14pm
WOW all morning cleaning and rebuilding the spray booth I got one section of ceiling to cover and then I am going to recover the lights on the sides of the booth (I cut the plastic away as they had become dull from over spray) I should easily have the Booth Ready for tomorrows painting session.

If I get enough done today I am going to wash everything with windex to get the last of the sanding scuffing dust off. Then tomorrow morning first thing I will wipe it all down with Prepall and allow it to vent/dry for a couple hours. I am going to have to keep the Tub in the Booth while I spray the Pieces but this time I will allow it to dry to the touch (about 2 hours) then drape it with some 1 mil plastic to keep any over spray off it.  I plan on doing pretty much the same as I do each of the pieces. A mistake I made last time was not protecting things from Over spray.

Tomorrow is going to be very busy. Maybe Monday as well.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 10:25pm
Well I have two coats on. Had the gun set wrong on the first and ended up with a couple of LONG runs across the top of the Dash and the lower Right side. But hey Runs will sand out.

The rest of the Tub is looking pretty good. Seams like a lot more dust then last time. Even though I took even more precautions. Again that will sand out.

I'm going to give it about 1/2 hour and throw a third coat on it. I have the paint might as well put it where it can do some good. The paint appears to be laying pretty well so I am hopeful that except for the runs I will be able to get it smooth with just 1500 grit.

I do wish the Dash had laid out better and I didn't have to deal with that big run. I would have most likely just went with the Dash as sprayed.

OH well time for some food and drink then back to the nightmare.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:31pm
Well that was fun the over spray overwhelmed my out take filters and I ended up in a bit of a fog. Glad I covered everything not yet being painted.

I am now sure with three good heavy coats I have enough paint on the tub that if I put any more I might not be able to lift it on to the chassis LOL.

I picked up another run at the top of the Left rear corner. Bummer but again careful sanding and it all comes flat.

Going to give it a break for today and let the Tub set up good. I'll do the rest of it tomorrow. Wish I could get the Tub and Rotisserie out of the spray booth I could lay out the rest of the parts all at once that way. Be a lot more room. But that ain't happen. SO I guess I do the Hood first and then move it out of the way and then I have room to do the Fenders and Windshield at the same time.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:41am
The Paint I am using shows 8 hours for sanding with 1500 grit but 18 hours for recoat or I have to scuff it again.

Would be nice to be able to wet sand it out and know I won't have any thin spots and still be able to touch it up if it needed it.

I guess that would be to easy.

So I'll let it full cure and end of the week start my wet sanding. I won't be taking down the spray booth though just in case.

I'll start on the Big runs as they will take some care to not mess up. Then the Dash.

Hoping the rest of the pieces come out as well as it looks the tub did.

With now what would have to be called 5) coats (with a blocking out between the 2nd and 3rd) I should have plenty of paint on CHUG.

I really want to see the whole thing out in the Sun light to be able to see exactly what the color is. Between the Green light of the Florescent's and the LEDs in the spray booth its hard to tell.

I figure if all goes well with the rest of the painting. And nothing screws up in the Wet Sanding and Buffing. I should have the Paint section of this little detour done by the end of June.

I should also have the last stuff I want to get done on the Chassis prior to dropping the tub in place by then as well.

Only engine thing left to sort out is the Dizzy and hopefully I have everything I need for that.

I want to get both drive lines in place and I have a couple more chassis electrical things to sort out.

I could be dropping the Tub on 4th July hopefully the boss can give us a 4 day weekend that would be SWEET of course we could have Thursday off and work Friday and Saturday LOL

I think I see an end to this part of the project. Then the aluminum top and the trailer.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:25pm
Fenders done 3 coats. I bumped one of them while painting so I have a goober area to sand out smooth on the outside rolled edge. Can't wait to see how screwed up that is when I go to sand.

Doing the Windshield next first coat on giving it a few min to flash off then a couple more. Going to be running out of room to put stuff while it cures. Hoping I can wedge the windshield between the Tub and the Fenders so I have room to do the Grill and the Hood.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:36pm
OK all thats left if the Hood. Grill came out real nice. Windshield has some dust goobers but not bad. Good news on the Windshield is down in the channels it looks very good. So I won't be going down in there with sand paper YEA much less chance of thin spots that way.

Cross me fingers but if the hood comes out as well as the Grill or Windshield I'll still put 3 coats on it. But I am thinking this repaint was the best idea and option I could have had.

I quite sure I have the recommended 2mil of paint coverage heck you might be able to measure it in 1/64ths LOL

Sure I have a bunch of wet sanding to do again. But thats easy.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:39pm
Mark, please share some pics of the painted Chug body parts when it's convenient.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:23am
I got the booth all buttoned up for the night will get some tomorrow.

Learned shouldn't have put plastic over the pieces as soon as I did got a little lift off. So I touched the areas up and may have a little extra sanding.

Put it's done unless something shows up during sanding. I have almost a 1/2 gallon of paint left. So I can fix most anything.

But I really hope to not touch a spray gun until I paint the top next Memorial weekend lol
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:56pm
OK photos of some painted sheet metal

Fenders (you can see a little bit of the damage the plastic did to the surface in this photo

Windshield (I have the two outer panels sanded to 1500 grit here and it appears the flaws in the surface will for the most part come right out.

Hood (This came out very nice with one run about where the left Hood latch will go. Wish I had drilled those mounting holes first before painting)

Grill (again as before this came out really nice with only a few dust bumps so I will only be sanding the flat areas on the grill and it should buff out real nice)

The Tub (turns out this morning I found a little bit of the plastic damage on the cowl but its barely a coat of paint deep so will easily sand smooth. I did get two nice Chips in the paint when my Light stand fell over on it. One in the Left Door opening the other on the leading edge of the Left step. Both easily filled with a little brush and will be unnoticeable once sanded out.

All and all I am happy with the repaint. I'm going to have a few tiny dust spec's and maybe a small flaw or two here and there. But as long as I am careful sanding it should buff up very nicely. And for not having painted a vehicle since my 40 Dodge coupe in 1978 I am happy with the results. And as I have said many times While Chug will attend a few car shows that was not what I have built it for. Pretty soon the rock chips and the saga brush scars will make me completely forget about flaws in the paint less then the size of a pin head.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:06am
Lookin' good. Mark.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:33am
Nice work as always, Mark!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:36am
OK I have all but the top of the windshield sanded down to 1500 grit. Daubing paint into the little divots and creases left by the plastic where it stuck was a very good idea in sanding out the majority of those areas the color remain consistent and the surface is smooth like it never happened. SO HAPPY HAPPY and since the Windshield was far and away the worst of it. I am optimistic the rest will look as good.

The grill and the Hood have no such flaws. I put a LOT of paint on the curved sections of the Hood as that is where the thin areas showed up during the first sanding. So that combined with the fact this paint is much much smoother then the first go round and takes very little to have to 1500 grit. They should both come out very nice.

The Tail gate which I have done nothing with since the First painting go round last year. Will be as it is. I don't think I will even buff it. It has a decent if slightly orange peely gloss to it and it will be buried behind the Pioneer Tools, Gas can, Spare tire, Tire/Tool swing away rack, back up lights and such. SO it will be hard to see it. I am going to cover the inside of the tail gate with 1/8" Aluminum painted Gloss Black to match the floor and it will also have matching Oak Strips on it. So when it is laid down the Strips will match the Floor.

Found out about work this week and it looks like 3 more nights of being rented out to another paving co. So I should have Friday off to swap shifts and if there is no pressing work for Saturday I could end up with a 3 day weekend. And while the wife is screaming about working on the garden and some other stuff I should be able to make huge progress on the wet sanding this week.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:28am
Looks like Gus has another brother on the way!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 2:05am
Mark,
Ever though about coating some of the areas with 3M clear bra? I did some of my new F150. It was not difficult. Now would be the time for you to do it. I plan to coat as much as my 2A as I can when ever I get around to restoring her. Stuff is not too expensive and you can find it on eBay. The flat areas would be simple.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 140>