Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:38am
Had not considered the 3M product. I'm not to worried about keeping CHUG pristine once it goes adventuring it can wear its wear proudly.

That said I had a Scream and cuss moment I was sanding out the paint on the little soft top channel on the windshield when in one or two strokes of the 1500 grit I ended up with a 2-2.5" white edge showing through.  Luckily its where it is and I can mask off that part of the Windshield and give it a couple more coats with the air brush and then just be careful resanding it. In fact I might not even resand it. In my hard top plans that piece is completely covered anyway.

I had less then 5 square inches of the windshield left to sand out.

Always something.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:26pm
Well Cuss and Scream moment solved. I finished sanding out the Windshield Frame to 1500 grit. I then masked off the Soft top Gutter (the part that is not flush with the frame) and after masking it off I went over the whole thing with the Scotch brite Gray Scuffing pad. Then I washed it down with Prepall and shook up a can of VHT Epoxy spray paint in Satin Black and turned that little section of the Frame Satin Black.

I like it. No screwing around mixing paint only to risk the same sand through. And it makes a bit of an Accent to the top of the Windshield Frame with is otherwise all Blue. And the best part is that since I plan on using this gutter to anchor the front of my Aluminum hard top I assume the paint in this are will take some wear and tear. This way if I decide to remove my top I can easily mask off this area and rattle can it back to new looking pretty much as much as I want.

Oh and its easy LOL.

Windshield Frame will be ready to Buff as soon as the Epoxy cures up in a couple days. Next up on the sanding table. The Grill.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:29pm
The Score Noon Thursday

Windshield ready to buff condition very acceptable
Vent              "      "    "          "          "           "
Grill               "      "    "          "        Outstanding
Left Fender   "      "    "         "          Acceptable no thin spots but multiple tiny pin pricks

Working on Right Fender so far coming out better then Left.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:09am
Right fender done and acceptable. I got me a three day weekend so baring something screwing me up I should have the wet sanding done over the weekend.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:43pm
Dash done and looks very good. Where the big run was about an inch from the top lip running almost from the far right to the Bright indicator hole came out near perfect though the paint under the ridge of the run has a slight brownish cast to it. Nothing I can do unless I risk trying to sand below it and its barely noticeable. Once I buff it if it stands out more I might think about going a little deeper but I doubt I will.

The areas that were sanded through on the last go round all came out perfectly even.

I also did a little work on the top center of the Cowl where I had minor plastic contact damage. And it looks like with little past regular sanding it will disappear. Going to be warm in the shop today and since I am not breaking down the spray booth until I have everything buffed and know I don't have anything to repaint. Its getting warm in there. SO off to spend the day with the wife garage saleing and hitting some thrift shops. I'll get in a couple hours of Tub sanding tonight once it cools back down.

A little worried I will have enough 1500 grit to finish. I ordered more from Amazon last yesterday and it won't be here until Sunday it says. Maybe one package from NAPA if I have to $$$.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2019 at 6:14pm
WOW Tub is wet sanded to 1500 grit. I have four tiny sand through's one in the middle of the Left door opening. Where my stupid light stand fell on the Tub while painting and chipped the paint. While I filled it back in with color it must have disrupted the paint around it enough to make the sealer level with the surrounding paint. I will touch this up with a tiny brush after I deepen it a little so the color will remain level with the surrounding paint.

The next one is a thin spot about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter just below the top edge of the tub just to the right of the joint between the Tail light panel and the Side panel. This one will most likely get ignored. There will be so much stuff in that area on the Tire Rack it will never be noticed.

There is a teeny tiny sand through on the rear edge at the bottom of the Right Body joint. I'll most likely thin some paint and touch this one up with my tiny spear point paint brush and then not sand it out just buff over it.

And another small sand through about 3/8" long and less then a 1/16" wide on the very bottom edge below the Right Rear corner I'll do the same with this one and just put color on it and buff it into the paint.

SO all and all an extremely good turn out on the Tub compared to what it was. I test buffed the area behind the Right Door opening last night and while the weird dark lines from the Run are going to be visible the shine comes right up. And I have no doubt that with more buffing and the second compound itwill look pretty dang good for a First Paint job in over 40 years (last time I painted a car I was 20 years old)

I'm working on the Hood now and learned my lesson last time. I now have the whole Willys Stampings taped off. I'll just blend the buffer into the shine left from the paint job and once the stampings are painted Black they will look just fine.

SO far I don't think I will have anything to be embarrassed about at a car show with regards to my paint job.

OH a side note on the 1500 grit. Amazon delievered my package this morning about 9:30 so I have plenty. I did go to NAPA and pickup a package yesterday and it turns out I should have checked them out sooner. 3M 1500 for a package of 5 full shts is like $12.50 while NORTON is $9.99 I could have saved like $24.00 on the 1500 grit I have bought had I used Norton instead of 3M.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 1:00am
WOW 5 hours of wet sanding the Hood. That thing sure looks big when you have a 2.5" x 4.5" chunk of 1500 grit in your hand. I still have the Left side from about mid curve down to finish but I am pooped. The Hood so far looks real good. I still have the V shaped about 2.5" long run on the Left front corner to do. Hoping it doesn't produce the same brownish color below it the others did.

I now wonder about how to best protect the pieces once I buff them. I guess wrapped in plastic hanging from the walls of the spray booth. The Tub is going to stay on the Rotisserie until I have almost everything stuffed under the dash. Then straight to the Chassis. I think I will pickup some more of them cheap HF moving blankets to pad things.

Wish I knew what I was doin when it comes to Buffing. Sure hate to buff to deep given my good luck so far.

Can't wait to see what all the neat things stuffed into the Dash looks like.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:32am
Keep up the great work!!!
Can’t wait to see chug together....and out in the sage brush!!!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 4:05am
Once I get past this paint sand buff wax stuff i should be making some good progress. Since so much of the stuff left has been already made.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
57willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 6:27pm
you The Man. Great to visit with you this am 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 4:07pm
Wow so up early this morning for some reason I'm not working today can't waste it. Started buffing paint I have the first step done on the Dash. Looks pretty good. Waiting for NAPA to open to buy the next step compound. Using Meguires 105 to cut the 1500grit and 205 to remove any swirl Mark's. Then I am going to put a wax polish on the dash and it will be ready for gauges etc. I also have the top of the cowl pretty much done. This is scary work beings it's the latest chance of screwing up the paint job.

edited to correct the compound numbers I had them reversed

Edited by Mark W. - 15 June 2019 at 10:28pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2019 at 6:25pm
SO at this point the Tub is done with the first compound and looks pretty good. I decided not to touch up the tiny sand throughs and just live with them. I need to get down to NAPA and pickup the 205 compound. It sure feels and looks smooth. A nice shine. And the color from what I can tell has about the same intensity as the Red/Orange dad had on CHUG so I am happy with that. Its not a fancy color but I think it will suit Chug well. Especially when I get the Hard top done and paint it Wimbledon White (a slightly creamy white)

I'm sure working my little Makita angle drill with 5) batteries in rotation I have to stop every so often to let it cool.

There's some flaws in the paint but all and all I don't think I need to be ashamed of it for a First Paint job since I did my 40 Dodge Coupe in 1978. Learned a LOT to bad I don't see doing another paint job.

As I have time this week besides making a Reverse light switch bracket for a forum member I'll get started on the Fenders and such and finish up the first stage of Buffing next weekend.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 3:34am
I picked up the 205 compound this morning after finishing with the 105 on the tub. So I did the dash and part of the right side with it.

Holy smokes I have never owned a car with this smooth of a finish. It's like dead flat no texture what so ever with a shine I can easily see myself in. Not bad for a single stage paint job.

I can't wait to finish out the buffing. Trying to decide what Wax type to use.

Almost time to start stuffing goodies under and in the dash. That's going to be fun.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 12:15pm
Mark, I reckon that with all the obsessive detail you're putting into Chug's paint job, you'll go crazy when you get your jeep out on the trail, trying to avoid contact with tree branches, rocky creek beds, etc., that can quickly turn your careful Meguiars buffwork into spidery scratches...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 1:38pm
That's a possibility. On the other hand I have always been building CHUG with the intentions of going Adventuring. And now days even going to a fancy car show with a bunch of paint scratches is nothing as they let in stuff with full on rust holes in the body now days they just award them different torphys LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 7:52pm
ITS BLUE!

SO Tub and Front Fenders are Buffed

Ok so when I took one of the fenders outside to get a look at the color and to see what the swirl marks and such looked like in the sunlight I had to get a little artistic with the reflections in the paint.

I had a guy I have known for 40+ years who when I met him he was the counter guy at NAPA selling me the engine parts for the 67 Chevelle I built as a 20 year old kid. He's been in the local car club and around Hot Rods Street Rods Classics and Customs for all that time. (when I met him he was finishing up a 37 Chevy Coupe)

And he said I was being way to picky on the paint and to not worry about it since I wasn't building a car show car. He thought it looked pretty good.

then he asked if I could drag my Chassis to a car show they are having in the Park here in Town first weekend in Aug. I doubt that will happen. But it was nice to be asked.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 12:42am
Holy smokes 62 hours this week with an additional hour to two hours each day for crummy time (where I ride in a pickup to where my Dump truck is parked)

SO nothing but dreaming got done this week until I got in the shop at 6am this morning (only day off)

it took all of today to get the Hood through the first stage of Buffing. Had a few places after some buffing I went back to 2000 grit wet dry to clean up deeper scratches. All in all it came out pretty good. Still have the one small sand through along the bottom edge a little back from where the Left hood latch will be. I have come up with a hair brain idea of using a paint pen or permanent felt marker to touch up these tiny boo boo's  Might not last long but for the Year I take Chug to car shows it will make it harder to see them. And it won't bulk up the paint surface. Like trying to lay more paint on would.

So hoping I get a 4 day weekend over the Fourth. If so I will have all the buffing done. Meguiars tech told me what Waxes to chose from but strongly suggested not doing any Waxing until the paint is 90 days old.

So While I will have to work on the front porch some over the Weekend (I got the Ceiling Painted so she was very happy last Sunday).

But I should be able to start stuffing things under and into the Dash over the long weekend. Going to see how many hours I can cram in on Chug. I figure work from 5-6am until late dinner at 6:30-7 with one full day on the Porch. I should be able to make a lot of progress.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2019 at 1:23pm
My paint guy says when you have a show car (which is what you have, whether you like it or not. That thing is stunning.) you don't need to use wax. He just uses a fine glaze. He did say that if I'm going to drive it in nasty weather or get it dirty, then wax it. I had my Nova painted over the winter and it is still out-gassing. If the garage is closed up over night and I walk out there I can still smell that new paint smell. If you are going to wax it, I'd wait 6 months. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 140>