Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 8:00pm
I was hoping to have a nice fat 4 day weekend but one of the supervisors decided he wanted to gravel a forest service road on Friday so Since I am the guy with the most experience doing that stuff I got the call So up at 4 am Friday so I can be up in the mountains bright eyed and bushy tailed to start what will most likely end up a 10+ hour job.

Anyway I was hoping to get into the shop early today to help make up for the lost day. But I was to worn out after 32 hours of work in the last 3 days to get my ass out of bed early.

SO its Noon on the 4th I currently have the Hood, Grill, and Vent door final buffed. Only thing left to do this afternoon is the Windshield frame. Should be interesting with all the grooves (I did not sand down in the grooves I'm not crazy) The Grill was a pretty easy job due mostly to its small surface area.

Saturday (if I don't end up getting screwed into working) I plan on rearranging a good portion of the Spray booth as well as pulling down some of the Plastic and the Dividers I put up to separate it from the main shop area. This will allow me to push the Tub towards the shop and give me more ceiling height and allow me to more easily rotate the TUB until upside down I want to work on the Electrical Box in the back some more I need to figure out how to get wires for Backup Lights and if I can figure out how to wire one up a Third Brake light (If I connect it to either Brake/Turn wire the thing will come on any time a turn signal is on) most likely a separate wire from the brake light switch. Glad I put a extra wire in the cable from the dash.

Then I am going to start the Dash stuffing. First in is a Gutter to carry wires from one side of the dash to the other. Going to use a piece of 1.5" PVC pipe with sections cut out on one side that hangs from the Hood Hinge Bolts. That way I can come from the Gutter to what ever switch or Gauge I need to with a nice short direct wire. I'll do Photos of course.

Heater, Defroster Duct, Heater Controls, 120V Outlet, Air Manifold, Parking Brake, MSD-6A spark box wiring, Gauges, Speedo, Push Pull controls for Choke and Air Intake controls, Ignition and Starter Button, then the wad of Switched on the left side. A lot of stuff goes in that small area I want at least 90% of it in there while I can rotate the Tub on the Rotisserie (wondering if I can turn the tub upside down and put a stool under it to sit on while working on the underside of the dash!)

And even though I lost at least Friday out of my 4 day weekend I still have to get close to a days work done on the Front porch project to keep the Mrs happy.

Photos to come. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2019 at 4:06am
OK I have a Buffed Jeep. I might do a little more touch up once things are together. But for now its all good.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 9:22pm
I got the Spray booth broke down and some stuff cleaned up. So I thought I would work on some stuff under the dash first order of business was to install a gutter to run wires from one side of the dash to the other it looks like this.

Its attached to the two outside hood hinge bolt holes using a pair of 2.5" sections of all thread and some lock nuts. I'll have to have two nuts on the inside of engine compartment but thats better then more holes in the firewall. I think it will work out really nice for what I want to do.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 11:46pm
WOW trying to stuff my heater up in place is a PITA. Not sure I will be able to connect the Water control valve to the cable with it in place. Gonna hate pulling it out to attach that cable if that is what ends up happening. And of course I can't seam to find the long screws that hold my Defroster damper in place. This thing better be worth it. LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 3:45am
Dang it dang it. I went to see how the two lighted armored toggle switches  were going to fit right below my Speedo (using holes dad had drilled for a couple of switches he used. And it turns out they are approx. 3/16" to close to the Speedo bezel. So now I have to elongate  the holes. What a PITA. I tell you guys doing restorations are so lucky. Just put the right thing in the right hole and it's done (yes i know it's not that easy).

Let's see if i can do it with out chipping up a bunch of paint. The armored covers will only cover so much. More fun tomorrow!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2019 at 11:24pm
OK so todays goal was to get the heater in place and to figure out how to run the two control cables (water temp and defrost control) I managed to get it in place I have the cables hanging from it and just need to hook them up to the Push Pull controls. I opted to mount the heater control panel as far to the left on the bottom edge of the dash as looked good before I got to the Steering column notch. I set them back a little to make sure I have enough room for all them shift levers.

Here is a Shot of the Right side of the Dash.

The faceplate might be a tiny bit low on the left side. I have a little adjustment there might give it a bump.

I'm pretty happy with the way the face plate finishes off the Summit Racing Heater and the Deforster diverter box I made. A few things left to hook up but its looking good.

If you can look close you can see the double weather proof 120V oulet I have mounted on the far Right. This will connect to what ever inverter I decide to add to Chug down the road. between this and the Heater is where the under dash air manifold and chuck will mount. Thats one of the next things to go in.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 12:42am
Well as with all things automotive. Now that the Heater is in place as well as the 120V outlet box. The Air Manifold I made up isn't going to fit. SO its back to the drawing board or at least I'll have to reconfigure the way the connections are attached to the manifold. or something taking a break to stare and contemplate.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 1:37am
OK so this week sucked for time. But I got off about 2pm Sat with a good 58 hour week. I got to work right away and remade the under dash air manifold It came out pretty good. I was lazy and took no photos. Trust me it fits. LOL

Today I was going to get up at 4am and into the shop by 5am that turned into getting into the shop around 6:30am

I started stuffing gauges  into the dash. I have them all in I have the in gauge lighting connected up and have leads on all the gauges that need to connect to something electrically connected. The Ground wire for all the gauges is connected.

The heater is completely installed (well under dash side) I have the Push pull controls all working and the fan switch all wired up (save the actual power wire)

The under dash air system is all connected Gauge and Air Chuck connected Pressure switch etc all connected.

On the right side of the Column all that is left is the various grounds for things like the Volt meter, Fuel gauge, and the Heater I am going to make a common ground post to mount on the Dash brace. And the Big one the Ignition Switch and the Starter Button are next.

SO I got a feeling another 55+ hour week is ahead of me so I guess next Sunday I will see what more I can get done. Might be able to do a few things in the evenings but I seam to be pretty wiped out after dinner which getting home as late as I am lately is right after I get home.

Ah winter lay off is only about 20 weeks away LOL

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 1:44am
NICE,  NICE, NICE!!!!   Your getting closerSmile

What coating did you use for the  floor boards?  Wurf?(sp)  Zolatone, Rhino?
Dad and I used Zolatone a lot.

Jim

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 2:06am
Herculiner a little 1 quart can from NAPA. I used a chip brush with shortened bristles to kind of dab it on so I could control the texture and get it kind of even. I'm happy with the way it came out. I need to dab a little Satin black paint on it in a couple places over spray found a way past my masking job on the second go around painting the tub.

And thanks I just hope putting the Tub on the chassis isn't to big of a PITA with the extra weight.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 2:18am
Oh I should explain a couple things.

The two lighted armored Green Switches in the middle of the Dash will control the E-Lockers once one of these switches are switched on then the Push Pull Switch on the Shifter will actually control the Locker.

The odd looking dash light is actually a repop Cigg Lighter with a built in Dash Light it also lights up on the end if the lighter is pushed in. Something I found on eBay I just had to have.

The push pull controls at the top of the Dash are from the left the Fresh Air intake damper, then the Warm Air intake control and then on the right side of the Dash Light/Cigg lighter the Choke.

I would have preferred the choke on the far left so its in the same area as the Ignition switch and Starter button. BUT the Fresh Air intake is a full 5" long pull to close so keeping it close to the column seamed like a good way to keep it out of harms way and it also allows the cable which will need to be .050 Piano wire to run very straight. The Choke is a Bicycle Brake cable so it bending a little is no problem.

Extra Gauges are on the left the Transmission Oil Temp Gauge (the sending unit is in the Tranny fill bung hole. I had to have some sort of gauge on the Tranny Transfer OD and since they all share oil and all can be filled via the Transfer case Bung hole (which has a 6 lb magnet in it) I figured this would be a way to monitor the Gears Boxes on long trips.

Then on the far right the Air Pressure Gauge for my ON BOARD AIR system. The system will run between 110 and 145 PSI so the 150 PSI gauge seamed perfect.

And then the lower 3 knobs are the Heater. 3spd fan switch/Defroster diverter/and Water temp control (I am using a 67ish Bronco type valve)

I might paint this panel Satin Black at some point.

You will notice all the knobs look very much like original Willys knobs I searched a long time to find them (then they were only $.69 each LOL) once I have other more important things done I am going to have each of them engraved with their function and will put White lacquer in the engraving.

Edited by Mark W. - 15 July 2019 at 2:21am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 1:33pm
Mark, your jeep's instrument panel looks 'factory'! Really nice work.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 2:25pm
The left side will look a little bit less Factory as it will end up having 9 switches 8) Push/Pulls and one Rotary (windshield wiper and washer) they will of course have the matching knobs. But yes I am trying to keep "The Look"

Thanks for noticing.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 3:11pm
Whats in the keyed coil spot?
Jay
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 2:22am
The Keyed coil spot is a piece of 1.125" Redish/amber Phenolic rod I turned on my lathe to fill the hole. I thought it looked nice so I polished it up and made a collar and center bolt to lock it in place.

So its officially a pretty hole plugging thingy that serves no real purpose. The three black button heads around it serve the same purpose but aren't quite as pretty LOL.

I don't know why I didn't fill in the coil/ignition hole I had no trouble filling in the Governor control hole or even the original headlight switch hole to suit my purposes but I went this way instead. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2019 at 7:00am
Mark,

That Willys is so clean, if it were mine, and there was enough room, i'd sleep in it.    hahaha

You know, I am going to have to set aside a full day to read through 86 pages in this build-thread.

I'm wondering if we ever do 'finish' one of these. :)

Len
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2019 at 1:54pm
I have not slept in CHUG but I have laid down in it a few times with dates in High School and Just after. If you remove the Pass seat and drop the tailgate throw down 2-3 thick sleeping bags well you get the idea LOL. That was about 100 lbs and 4 decades ago though.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 12:43am
OK so after a fun 63 hour work week. I got out in the shop about 7:30 this morning.

I made amber under dash list that will also serve to hide my fuel pump shut off switch (anti Theft) I cut a clearance light in half and then just used the amber lens pieces. Mounted up under the dash out of sight.

Next up was the Fan control switch (I have a 3 position push pull switch to control my electric fan AUTO - ON - OFF) this involved some pretty wild contortions as I had to grind off part of the reinforcing layer around the steering column mount so the switch would mount flat. I have the tub on its Right side and while looking through the steering column hole and reaching through the Master Cyl fill cover holding my Dremel tool I managed to git it done. WHAT A PITA.

And third was the Wiper/washer switch. Its a great big thing having intermittent and 2 spds plus the push to Wash control. Not as big of pain as the fan control switch. But it came with a little bonus problem. I am going to run the wires to the motor (which is mounted to the top right inside of the windshield frame like where a sun visor on the pass side would be) to do this I had to drill a hole just above the Column shift notch in the dash. Well I had already put my fancy duct work on the dash so all that had to be removed to drill the hole in the process I cracked one of the joints so that had to be addressed.  Its done now and I will maybe to a little touch up painting later.

I figured out how to wire my 67 Chevelle Headlight switches and thats the next challenge to get the two of them pigtailed. I am using two headlight switches to control various lights.

Main switch
Head Lights bright and dim
Park lights
Tail and side marker lights
Dash
Dome

Aux. Switch
Fog
Driving
Under Dash and rear floor

interestingly enough I will have a dedicated manual control switch for the Backup lights

So three light switches all total.

Things to figure out where to locate now include a Windshield Washer reservoir and pump. And the Electric fan relay and fuse (I think this will end up on the side of my battery hold down setup. Along with the Headlight, Fog and Driving light relays.

MAN do I have a lot of wire!

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 140>