Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 11:10pm
Well my one day off after a 62 hour week, I first pulled up the tranny cover and boots to access the mess of electrical connections I hide under there. I then coated said electrical connections with liquid electrical tape. Two good coats. I then put everything back the way it belongs.

Next step was to get things prepped for bleeding the brakes. And once my son was done helping his mom I had him do the pedal pushing chore.

I got the Right Rear bled and in switching to the Left rear I noticed a wet spot on the floor!!! It was coming from the Hose connection going into the Tee at the top of the Pumpkin. Turns out I had not tightened it much at all.  so I did that and of curse now there's a twist in the hose I will need to address at some point.

That solved the line going to the Left Rear brake was leaking at the Tee so that got a couple uga dugas on the 6" long wrench.

Continued on Bleeding the Left Rear then Right Front then Left Front refilling the Master Cyl. about every 4-5 pedal depressions.

I currently have a very solid pedal but its down about a good 2" of travel. As the Brakes are not adjusted I'll wait to see how the pedal is once I cycle the auto adjusters a few dozen times. I can always go back in and rebleed if needed.

Next step is to hang the Left Fender and get the Fuel line connected.

I'm thinking there is a good chance next Sunday I might be ready to start the engine.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 11:13pm
you should consider setting up a zoom conference so all of your fans could be there with you during startup.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 11:27pm
What can I say, when I bought the Commando it had  no  brakes. The women that owned it before had replaced the S lines on the front axle but didn't tighten them up.
john
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 11:47pm
I think the best I can do is to record the start up and post it on line. Though I will talk to the wife about the ZOOM idea she does that with her hobby. Thing is I'm not sure I could schedule it.

I complained about my 62 hour week but should have added that that really meant 1800+ miles in the dump truck running up and down from Detroit Oregon (almost completely destroyed in the Sept Fires.) to a Land fill an hour and 45 min away. Lots of nice bumpy road.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 1:31am
OMG it worked. I just did something I have never done before I pushed the starter button and the engine turned over about 3 times!!!

No grinding noise nothing but good solid starter engagement, SO I guess putting a 46 year old Toyota Starter on a 63 year old Willys engine works. Provided you have the right combo of parts.

OK so that test is done.

Now I have a new problem to deal with the front left rock slider mount is in the way of the left inner fender flat area where it runs parallel to the floor so the inner fender will have to be cut back to fit. Dang and then of course I will need to get some paint on it to keep that edge from rusting.

Still think I can get the engine started next Sunday, Fingers Crossed.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 6:17am
  Mark, one of the things I learned from an old mechanic was: "If a brake pedal is mushy, they need bled. If it's solid but low, they need adjusted. Only if it is both low and mushy do they need both." This has saved me a lot of unnecessary work over the years. If your pedal is solid now but low (and 2" ain't that bad) the self-adjusters should take care of it.
  Glad to hear that it made a sound!
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 1:21pm
Yep Bruce great minds think alike., I was telling my son that I'm not going to mess with trying to adjust the brakes in the shop when a dozen applications of the brakes backing out of the shop the first time will most likely fix them right up.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 2:17pm
Bruce - that is Pure OLD Dude Wisdom!  Pure Gold!

"If a brake pedal is mushy, they need bled. If it's solid but low, they need adjusted. Only if it is both low and mushy do they need both." This has saved me a lot of unnecessary work over the years. If your pedal is solid now but low (and 2" ain't that bad) the self-adjusters should take care of it."

Too bad there is not a section in this Form For Old Dude Wisdom!

Edited by Stev - 05 Apr. 2021 at 2:51pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 4:54pm
  I’m not sure about the adjusters used on other brands, but GM’s self adjusters will only adjust once if you apply the brakes several times while backing up. You must apply the brakes firmly in a forward direction each time to reset the adjusters. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 7:48pm
I have a bottle of Patron and will be doing a shot or two to celebrate. Chug for Chug, I call it.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 8:06pm
We used to do what we called "The Easter Shot Hunt". Fill up some film canisters with your beverage of  choice,  put your name on it and they got hidden around the yard. Sort of the adult version of an  egg  hunt. I found a few a year later.
Have  fun with the Patron
john
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 6:35pm
OK so seams like a long time since an update. Maybe cause this week at work was 65 hours and almost 2000 miles.

I now have the left fender on, Fuel system completed and a few small things.

I will be putting coolant in today. And trying to find anything else that needs doing before start up. I of course loaned my timing light out last week with the condition I needed it back in a couple days. So no timing light.

I could possibly try a run today. But think I will leave it until weekend after next. The wifes birthday is the 29th and there is a good chance based on rumors LOL that we are not working on the fire clean up on this next Saturday so I am hoping to take her to the coast for the weekend.

I also want to get some help over here for the first start to watch for leaks and gauges and to hand me a beer when it blows up. LOL.

No more photos until its running. A bunch of different people have said they would like to see a video of the first start so theres that to deal with also. So 2 weeks from now will be a good target.

OK back to the shop.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 2:38pm
Chug, Chug, How do you lug?
You'll take us here, you'll take us there,
But until then, we'll say a prayer,
that you will start, and run, no leaks!
and deliver us many pleasured weeks,
of fun filled joy and proud endeavors,
Chug please start, and run forever!

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 2:44pm
With Mark promising a Trailer Build following Chug's completion, the "A Little Project Update on Chug A Lug" will continue to engage all of us on the 2Apage.com for a long time to come.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:06pm
OK so call me silly. I drag the wife out to the shop to help me check to see if there is spark prior to going down and getting some gas to see if CHUG will start.

She found out she does not fit behind the steering wheel BUMMER!

And I found out the engine won't turn over with only 3.2V in the Battery. I knew I should have plugged it in last night. OH well. a few hours charging and we can try again.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:10pm
I'll be working Saturdays until Memorial Weekend so If not today I'll try again this coming Sunday to start it.

I'm figuring on disconnecting the signal wire from the ignition switch to the starter and then using the Starter button to run the electric fuel pump to prime the fuel system (I have an Oil pressure Safety switch in the fuel pump circuit that is bypassed when the starter button is depressed). Then just a little splash of fuel down the carb.

That is if it has spark. I got in the backup Petronix unit but it will take about an hour to install it if need be I would guess.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 1:17am
well Karmas a bitch.

Turns out I wired the MSD-6A, coil, and Petronix unit incorrectly I have to dig a bunch of wiring out from under the dash and fix it!

So maybe I can start it up Memorial Weekend. Man I hate working under the dash.

When I put coolant in the connections on the backside of the firewall going to the heater I had leaks but standing on my head for a while and cranking on the hose clamps seams to have cured them for now. With my current luck once pressure comes up they will go back to leaking.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:30am
OK so did some serious thinking about my screwed up wiring. And then about how difficult it will be to fix. And I came up with a $250 fix. I am buying another MSD-6A (but this time the new digital version) I will be able with some effort be able to remove the one on the firewall (the nuts are behind the Heater so I might have to drill or grind off the screw heads!)

The new version has a plug in harness rather then the wires being soldered directly to the board. So the Unit can be swapped easily. I'll have to route a new wire from the ignition switch but the rest f the wires can be right in the engine compartment. I can also set it up so should it fail I can take it out of the ignition circuit and go directly from the ignition switch to the coil and then to the Petronix unit.

It should take about a day (depending on the nightmare of removing the original unit.

I bought the original at a yard sale maybe 25 or more years ago for $5.00 so I have never known if it worked, This way I will have a new covered by warrenty part. I can get from Summit Racing in 2-3 days. If need be.

Live and learn.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 140>