Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 140>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 12:52pm
From all I have read it takes a while to get them right, but once you do, you're set.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 6:53pm
Going to start the final tuning on CHUG this weekend. As a start today I pulled the plugs and put in new ones. #1 and #2 had leakage around the threads I assume this was due to the indexing washers and using Champions recommendation of only tightening the plugs to 12ftlbs. I went with no indexing washers and good and tight. Like I have always done in the past. I also retorqued the head to 70ftlbs COLD.

Next chance I have to fiddle with it I will be pulling the carb and starting to work my way through getting it adjusted first step is to rest the Secondary Butterfly adjustment screw that is allowing to much air flow and fuel past the butterfly before it is supposed to open.

I have a Haynes Weber book and found an excellent how to on line for this DGV carb. Once I get it really close I will go ahead and pull the Exhaust and install the O2 sensor and get my Wide Band Fuel/Air ration gauge hooked up to fine tune it.

If that doesn't get me where I think it should be I'll make an appointment with the Weber Guru in Salem.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 5:20pm
Well fart and crap. I went to put my carb back on when I noticed a line on the mounting flange for the 3-4 cylinders on the intake manifold. And then I took a good look at the 1-2 mounting flange and sure enough both have cracks. SO no driving CHUG this weekend.

Luckily the Aluminum intake once I bolt it to a plate (to realign it) will be an easy TIG weld to fix. What caused this was removing to much material from the additional material I had to add when I reshaped the flanges originally. I must have gone past the depth of the original TIG welding I had done to add material to the 1500cc MG flanges to change them into 134 flanges.

Hopefully my local welder will be in the shop Friday and I can get it to him tomorrow.

DANG.

Edited by Mark W. - 26 Nov. 2021 at 6:29pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2021 at 6:28pm
Well no luck hooking up with my local welder guy. Guess he's like everyone else wanting a 4 day weekend.

SO now I'll most likely have to wait until a day off during the week which of course I have no way to predict.

Trying to decide if I'm going to let this turn into Project creep. As the Intake manifold is off I am part way to having the Header off. Which if I take the header and the Secondary tubes off I can touch up the tiny weld leaks and then again when I have a day off get them up to the Ceramic Coating guy. No idea of what his process time is. I could be without a running CHUG for a month or more.

I have plenty of other stuff to work on should that be the case and a dry day here in my part of the world is about to get really rare.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2021 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I could be without a running CHUG for a month or more.

If it were me I would probably go with...."better now than in the spring".....but that's just my way of doing it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2021 at 5:54pm
roc I ended up agreeing with you. I got the Secondary and (Tail pipes) Actually the exhaust pipe and tail pipe pulled off CHUG and welded up the tiny leaks (had soot traces to find them) I then welded on the Bung for the O2 sensor. All the time waiting for my little bottle of gas to run out. The needle barely moved when I opened the valve but I made it.

I'm going to put a larger quieter muffler on it while I have it all apart as well. I've had one on my wish list on Summit Racing for 3-4 years.

I'm going to have the Header, Secondary tubes, and Exhaust pipe leading to the Muffler all Ceramic coated by an outfit in Milwaukie, OR thinking I will go with their Titanium colored coating. Though that may change when I can see their samples in person.

Now to figure out all the stuff involved with the Fuel Air ratio gauge. Like where on earth to mount it.

Edited by Mark W. - 28 Nov. 2021 at 8:59pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2021 at 6:09pm
  Tail pipe is after the muffler. Exhaust pipe is ahead of the muffler. Always. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2021 at 9:00pm
I stand corrected
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2021 at 12:58am
OK as luck would have it. I had a short day yesterday (Tue) so I ran the Manifold to the Welder guy who says done by Friday. And today I find out I will not be working Thursday so tomorrow I will get up and make sure I have everything I need to prep on the Exhaust system prior to Ceramic coating and then run them up the 45 miles to the place thats doing the coating. Won't know anything about lead time. But its all good to get done now.

I can make up a couple more sets of Hi Temp gaskets in the mean time.

My buddy with the lift says as long as I don't work on any more Transfer case seals I can bring CHUG up and fiddle with the OD problem as long as I want. So that will be high on my to do list once I can drive it again.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2021 at 7:41pm
YEA! got the exhaust up to the Ceramic Coaters and the nice lady there tells me a Two weeks and $395. + a 5.5% environmental fee ($22) so $417.00 out the door. Well less then I was prepared for.

I chose their Gray Ice color as she said it being a glossy finish its best when stuff like mud and things get splashed on the Exhaust. And I liked the Dark Gray better then the Blacks and the Titanium when seen in person.

Then on the way home I picked up another tank of Gas for the MIG welder and that was about 75% of what I thought that would cost.

Then I find out I get tomorrow off so all and all a good Thursday. LOL

Edited by Mark W. - 02 Dec. 2021 at 7:45pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Now to figure out all the stuff involved with the Fuel Air ratio gauge. Like where on earth to mount it.

I made room for it in my remodeled "dash" in the B.  That gauge is plumbed into the right side header collector.

Those velcro patches above hold the tablet that will display the closed loop EFI FAR for the left side header collector.  I have a little more wiring to do (the space where my relay box was located got re-appropriated for brake lines and the proportioning valve when I replaced the master cylinder last winter) but the thing is about to be fired up again for the first time in 7 years. 
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 5:17pm
Well in the process of removing my exhaust system and doing some cleaning under CHUG I found that I have a minor gas leak from a couple of the fittings under the tank and before the Holley Red electric fuel pump that is mounted on the back of the Riser.

So I figured since the wife was away today I would take the time to deal with the gasoline. I had removed most of the fuel in the tank yesterday with a simple siphon. I then used the drain I incorporated into the AN fittings to drain off the last of it.

After getting the fittings that were leaking (all due to the use of the wrong kind of Teflon thread tape or dope) I figured great time to service the 40 micron fuel filter right below the tank before the pump.

WOW with only 1140 miles on CHUG I did not expect this out of a Brand new tank.

I do remember having to chase some threads for the Sending unit so I guess the majority came from that. I ran a magnet around afterwards but clearly that was not enough.

Now I could have had 100 times this amount in that filter and most likely not had a problem. I also have a Fram 10 Micron cartridge type filter between the regulator and the carb.

So now to put everything back together with thread sealer designed for E10 and E85 fuel.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 7:11pm
Also Yesterday I picked up the intake manifold from my local Welder guy He again did a real good job. Though he said the absorbed gas in the Cast aluminum gave him some fits. Today I ground down his welds and got it ready to reinstall when the Exhaust Ceramic Coating is done.

Friday I should be getting my new quieter Muffler a Turbo design made by Walker rather then the glorified over sized Pringles can that I have had on it. I chose not to have the actual Tail pipe coated as its a simple pipe with about a 45° bend on one end and will cost much less then the Ceramic coating cost to replace. When I reassemble the Exhaust I will give it a good coating of Black Exhaust Paint to help protect it.

The new Muffler is the same length body as the current one same dimension top to bottom and just wider then the Round one so fitment will not be a problem. Its also Aluminum coated Steel so that will last longer then the old on.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 6:36pm
YAHOO just got a call from the Ceramic coaters the Exhaust System is done and reportedly came out very nice (which must mean when he sand blasted it it didn't show up with a bunch of holes LOL)

So I go up tomorrow and pick it up.

I been working on a mount for my cell phone. I spent I don't know how long looking at 32 pages of mounts on Amazon and not one of them would do what I wanted how I wanted. SO of course I decided to make my own. I have it all roughed out and I'm quite happy with it.

I allows my Phone to be held very securely display Horizontal or Vertical I can reach the sensor on the back to open it with my finger print as well as allow it to record video's through the windshield like a dash cam (Though until I get the Hard top done and are able to stop the windshield from moving that will be worthless LOL)

Its mounted to the Defroster Vent tube just to the left of the steering wheel. Hopefully far enough away from where the door latches for my Suicide doors will be to not be a problem. I can see all of the screen in either orientation from my normal sitting posture. Should be in a great place for using GPS on it etc. My phone already works with the Stereo via Bluetooth (in Oregon if you have a CDL your first ticket for holding a phone while driving is $1200!!!! So Bluetooth is important.)

I know I know I am supposed to enjoy the 75 year old tractor that a CJ-2A is but that just ain't me.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2021 at 7:15pm
OK so with all the excitement today (thread in off topic)

I did manage to finish up my Cell phone mount for CHUG  Its made from Aluminum and Micarta a good coating of VHT Epoxy Satin Black.

It looks kind of close to the Steering Wheel but actually there is a lot of clearance for fingers and toes.

heres a few photos

And a shot of the view through the windshield like a Dash cam

Now if I can find a Phone charger that will work in my silly Cig lighter (where a normal CJ Panel light would be) I'll be styling. I have really good chargers for USB stuff in my console but it would sure be nice to get a short cord to run from the phone to the charger behind my Defroster duct be nice and out of the way.

Edited by Mark W. - 11 Dec. 2021 at 7:20pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2021 at 10:57pm
That is freaking cool!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2021 at 4:29pm
OK photos of the Ceramic coated exhaust system in a way that you all can see it. Coating was done by Finishline Coatings in Milwaukie Oregon its what you would call a mom and pop shop as there is only a couple employees. They offer a number of different colors and types of coatings. I chose their Ice Gray as its a easier coating to clean being very closed pore. The pipes are coated inside and out.

The photo shows up to where the Muffler attaches. I'm waiting for a new muffler to show up as I have decided to go with a quieter muffler compared to the oversized Pringles can I started with. The actual tail pipe will be just painted to help protect the metal.

You can see in this shot how the Tri Y design works,. Where #1 and #4 come together and then #2 and #3 come together and then the Secondary tubes come together before exiting to the Exhaust pipe. I made this from about 50 pieces of cut bends and straight pipe all MIG welded together then the welds ground smooth (at least where the tubes can be seen)

And a close up.

I will post some photos once I get the Exhaust reinstalled.

Edited by Mark W. - 12 Dec. 2021 at 4:32pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 3:35pm
Awsome!
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 140>