Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2023 at 1:22pm
Well the rabbit hunting was a bust.. 20° with intermittent 30mph winds random snow flurries, and soaking wet ground. We stayed one night and beat it for home after trying some sage brush walking. My son saw one Rabbit in the middle of a farmers field where it was safe from being hunted without permission.

Anyway yesterday I got started on the pass side wall glue up. And in the process weighed the top and then added in the windows and a little more. And I now think the top with the add ons (radio storage compartments full interior etc. ) is going to come in around 275lbs so a little heavier then a Basic Koneig steel Half top. I have seen their weight listed as 210lbs I can't find a full top weight listed other then the CJ-6 top which is listed as 475lbs

More then I had hoped but I can live with it.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2023 at 8:43pm
OK busted some gut today and I currently have the Pass side wall clamped up I should have it cleaned up by this time tomorrow! The screwed up Rabbit hunting gained me about a day and a half on the project. I did a few things different with regards to clamping on this side. And I drilled a BUNCH of 1/4" holes to allow excess JB Weld to get out from between the layers of aluminum and boy did that work a bunch of it has squired through them.

But as is par for my case I forgot to put the insulation blocks in the corners before gluing it all up so I will have to piece those together to get them to fit. And I noticed that a couple of the Micarta corner blocks do not have the Aluminum sucked up tight against them. This may have also happened with the Drivers side as well. Due to the fact I can only see this joint because the insulation is missing. OH well can't change it now. And the curve feels pretty good better then the Drivers side I think.

Again I mixed up a pkg and a half (10oz size) of JB weld and spread it all a LOT is oozing out so I must have a tight joint in most places.

I guess in 12-16 hours we will see how this one came out.

As I will need help with the Roof section I might put it off for a couple days and work on the strips of Micarta that will hold the Window panels in place. A get the weather stripping I am planning on using for the window glazing.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2023 at 8:23pm
SO today cleaning up the edges on the Passenger side wall. And it is clear I will be doing some skim coating with a light filler before painting. Pretty sure I will be going with Evercoat Z-Grip as it is advertised to have excellent adhesion to Aluminum and Stainless steel the two metals in my top. It won't take but a mm or so to smooth everything out but it will look better without any wobbles.

And pretty sure I will be going with Kirker White Epoxy primer followed by Kirker Ultra Glo single stage urethane paint in their Pure White color.

I do plan on painting the rain gutters Black (to match the top channel on the Windshield frame) And to have some Blue checker boards on the back corners of the top pattern yet to be determined by using Blue painters tape to simulate the graphic.

I got my folding AM/FM antenna mount located and the main hole drilled. I figured out where I am going to put the 1/2" gap in the Rain gutter to allow it to drain and I received the 4" hood vent today that will be going in the Drivers side rear wall. I had ordered a 3" but it just looked to small to vent the air that can flow through the windshield vent so I got the 4" version which LOOKS a little big but thats the price to have a big enough vent that is also shielded from the weather.

After The failed Rabbit hunting trip My budget for the top can not afford the $600.00 for windows for a while so hopefully I won't be working this week and get the rest of the Top sheeted and then I can work on the interior stuff as well as Some of the other things I wanted to get done on CHUG this winter.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 2:54pm
SO NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY

The floor of my grinding/cutting room in my shop is a total mess there is bits and pices of stuff I cut off what every maybe 10 years ago on the floor piled up around my band saw.,

Today while cleaning up the sheeting on the passenger side wall I got to thinking about the window trim I am going to be making for the inside of the windows and how I would have to do something with the corners where the opening curves or it would look unfinished.

Well I am using the same 6" D rubber contact wheel from my 2 X 72" belt grinder to clean up the curves and it dawned on me. The Corner blocks on the top are also 6" D and they were all made from Square blocks. The outside of the blocks being scrap. Well I went in the grinding room grabbed up a couple of them and sure enough I can run them on the same 6" D rubber wheel while its mounted in the grinder to clean up the saw kerf and have my corner window trim sections with no new material and no new cutting. There are a few that I will have to smear some Epoxy putty on to smooth out but that can be done prior to starting the clean up and won't take but maybe an hour to do all that its needed.

Now if I had been a clean freak all those pieces of scrap would have been tossed sometime last fall.

OH I now have both side walls and the rear hatch sheeted and the windows and edges all trued up.

Trying to decide if I want to get started on the Roof section or work on the doors. Roof section will require help which I don't have without making some sort of arrangements with the son to come down or the neighbor guy happens to be available. So that may decide for me.

Scrap curves soon to be window trim

Edited by Mark W. - 29 Mar. 2023 at 7:13pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 4:24pm
OK the tail light panel thingies are installed (course they will both have to come out later for painting the Hard Top.

First up is the rotating AM/FM antenna mount. As I mentioned before as my carport entry is like 7ft high having antenna sticking up is not an option so I needed some way to disconnect (the way the CB antenna works) or tip out of the way. This is what I came up for the AM/FM antenna.

OK here is the view as it will be with the antenna in use. You see the 3/4" Bolt I cored and champered for the Coax and a ground wire to pass through, then the angle bracket which is sandwiched between Nylon washers to allow free movement and help seal the hole through the top. The little Hex Knob is the lock that locks the mount in the upright position

A view with it as stored for entry into garage carport.

And the view on the inside showing the Nylon locking Nut that will help keep tension on the mount.

green tape is to make getting the piece of insulation out easier for now.

OK now the Rear vent. I looked at dozens and dozens of designs for this and this one looked to have the best flow characteristics while being the least likely to allow water into the jeep. And it looks kind cool.

If I have the top all closed up but want some fresh air that fresh air will have to exit the HT some where once I open the windshield vent.

I have a piece of 1/4" thick Neoprene closed cell foam behind it and when I do the final install I will put a wipe of RTV on both sides to make it well sealed.

Side view:

And again you see the scruffy plastic covering on the Aluminum This will all come off before I prep the aluminum for paint,

And the vent from the inside:

I need to trim the insulation around it. And next up is to fabricate some sort of flapper valve to close off the vent when not in use. I have a couple ideas for this using a simple flap and a push pull control.

Hoping to get the Flapper valve done yet today.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2023 at 1:29am
So the Speaker cabinets are finished I will end up putting some batting in them when they are finally mounted in place. Big pain in the butt to remove as I have to pull the 8 screws holding each set of drivers to get at the mounting studs inside the cabinets. I have them mounted right now so I can work on the interior panels. Above the Speaker the coax coming through the panel is for the AM/FM antenna.

The cabinets are made by stacking and gluing 5/8" particle board and gluing it together.

A new use for the press LOL

I had been using a Pair of Minimus 7 Radio Shack speakers. And wasn't happy with the volume I was getting. I completely spaced the fact those "House speakers are 8ohm and the Stereo typically runs a 4ohm speaker. So these Pioneers will be substantially louder when I want them to be. Sorry guys on long trips I like music or sometimes a good book. And CHUG has been built with the goal of LONG trips.

Tomorrow I tackle the Vent door and control. I figured out the design I am going to use tonight. A simple flap that a push pull control opens and closes. I might put a tiny magnetic catch on it to keep it from rattling if thats could be a problem.

Edited by Mark W. - 08 Apr. 2023 at 9:42pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2023 at 9:59pm
OK been busy both interior walls are basically trimmed out and the Upholstery is done. I still have the Window moldings to do those are coming soon as I get the Rear Hatch upholstered. I want to do all the cutting of the Micarta moldings at the same time. The Micarta is a PITA to cut on the table saw As the sheet is very heavy. I will use my Planer to get the dimensions correct and my LOTS of time on the Milling machine and Drill press drilling a Whole bunch of holes that will both lock the moldings to the Frame and then cause pressure on the Poly carbonate to seal them. Then last I'll use my little router table to put a nice round on the inside edge. 

Anyway here is the Left wall. This shows my little Air exit vent and the simple flapper valve I made for it when not being used.  The Speaker enclosure is mounted and ready to go just need to attach the speaker cables to the Binding posts on the bottom.

I do have a Micarta cover that will hide all the Wiring running down the door jam. Its still drying after being painted.

At the bottom of the wall is the mount portion of my Hard Top to Tub clamping system. A bit over kill but I wanted it very solid.

Funny how things work out when I was designing the Push Pull controls I made from scratch one of the first efforts used a 1/4D plunger and it turned out not to be suited for what I wanted it for so off on the shelf of unused junk. Well when this need for a Push Pull came up it was near perfect. So using it saved some fabrication time.  You can see it at the top of the Door Jam.

Here is a close up of the Flapper valve closed you can see the little spring that causes the valve to shut when the knob is pushed in.

Again using simple to source and easy to fix Bicycle brake cable. Here it is Open (no need to open all the way as 45° open will flow all the air the vent will.

Not looking forward to it but part of me is saying I will need to pull all this off in order to paint the Hard Top when its time.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2023 at 10:31pm
In case you thought I was slacking. This morning I got started at about 8am building the supports to hold the Roof section while the skin is epoxied in place.

I would have showed you progress photos but we were working to hard too try to get it done. SO what you get is how it looked at 6:30pm all nice and snug with

16) ratchet straps tightened to about a High C if they were guitar strings LOL
35) Vise Grips of various types
8) C Clamps
approx. 100lbs of Steel
approx. 75lbs of Micarta
and 160lbs of Wood pellets

It took about a 13oz of JB Weld

The ratchet straps are all rated for 500lbs I doubt anyone of them would do that but lets say they are at about 200lbs each thats 3200lbs LOL My son says to not be worried if the table explodes in the middle of the night.

I will clean it up tomorrow afternoon and start drilling and threading the 8-32 holes around the perimeter for the little round head screws. Those will get put in place with a sealer and end up hiding behind the rain gutter.

I'm back to work full time so weekends are going to be it and from the sounds of it I will only get one day a weekend I kind of threw a little fit when they asked me to work today soooo I got out of it. But that won't happen again. Did only 47 hours this week. LOL I start at 5:15 Monday !!!!

Edited by Mark W. - 15 Apr. 2023 at 10:38pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2023 at 8:07pm
OK I got the rear section unclamped.

We made a couple "mistakes"

1. we should have trimmed the three edges much closer before gluing. Its going to be tricky to trim them to a distance I can file them to finish from as I do not want to risk pulling any of the epoxy joint.

2. The Roof joint has a piece of aluminum foil under it to give a full 3" wide glue joint (the frame work has some gaps in it) I should have laid a piece of wax paper over the exposed half of the foil and then put a piece of 1.5" wide something and a bunch of clamps to make sure it was laying flat it has some wrinkles not bad but still.

3. We should have used wider ( 1.5") clamping support along the side edges the 3/4" did not hold the sheeting as tight to the frame as it could have been. Talking maybe .020-.040" of extra glue under the joint at the top edge. No biggy just could have been better.

There is one dent in the sheeting above the rear curve that I will either have to pull the stuffing out from inside and push out or fill before paint. Its about the size of a thumb print.

I got both corners filed flush and then made the little piece of sheeting that goes below the corners epoxied in place. I have the Corner Micarta blocks ready to Epoxy in place once the little sheeting pieces are filed down. That will happen tomorrow after work if I am not work out.

It took almost 2 full hours to break down all the clamping and roll up all the straps LOL.

I have to get the edges filed down before I can start the perimeter screws as I want to use the edge to run a drill guide block along to get them perfectly spaced. So I will have to be real careful cleaning up the edges sure wish I hadn't left the sheeting more then 1/2" to long.

I also have to figure out how to flip this thing that now weighs about 100lbs over on its top while getting the supports out from under it and not having room to have it on the table while flipping it. I may have to find some help.

So photos

The joint. this will end up just a simple butt joint between the front and rear sections with just a couple flush flat head screws to add to the Epoxy bond.

Very minimal oil canning in the open areas between the "rafters" in the rear once I put the insulation board in place I will use some of my HD carpet tape to attach the foam to the underside of the roof and that should end even that tiny bit of movement.

This is going to be a very slick (aerodynamically) top. Which was a goal

Edited by Mark W. - 16 Apr. 2023 at 8:10pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 9:50pm
Yea Bonus day off after an 11.75 hr day yesterday so I got up and at it as early as if I was going to work.

And I got the corners set in place And I got the CB antenna Mount/Third Brake Light mount as well as the Third Brake light all fleshed out.

Some photos

CB antenna Mount and Brake light

And lit up I changed the single bulb Vintage clearance light to be a two bulb fixture

And from the side

That 1/4" Aluminum angle is bolted directly into the frame work its SUPER SOLID I have no doubt I could throw my 7ft Firestik on that and go banging around with it.

Left corner (I can't wait to see these all sanded out smooth and Epoxy sealed before Painting.

And Right corner

If I can get back from work around 5pm tomorrow I have someone that can help me flip the Roof section either around or over on its back so I can keep working on it.

Later
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2023 at 11:19pm
I got both corners all sanded in and ready for Primer when I get there. I thought it would be interesting to show a kind of before and after. On the left is what the Right corner looked like as epoxied in place and on the right after about an hour and a half of work.

Sadly the guy who was going to help did not show. Time for another plan.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2023 at 5:21am
Mark, you may have posted it, but I can’t find it. What’s the radius on your cab corners? I work at an aluminum truck and trailer company and we may have some aluminum cab corners that would fit
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2023 at 9:18am
That corner looks beautiful!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2023 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Agas46cj Agas46cj wrote:

Mark, you may have posted it, but I can’t find it. What’s the radius on your cab corners? I work at an aluminum truck and trailer company and we may have some aluminum cab corners that would fit

The radius's on the top sides rear and verticals are the same as the Tub 6" D the front is an elongated radius.

As I am painting the top White the Micarta corners will work perfectly and at this point I couldn't get them out with anything short of 600° and that would so mess with the aluminum. But I appreciate the thought.

When I get to building the off road travel trailer I might give you a message.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2023 at 4:01pm
The one thing that has bit me in the ass more times then I care to admit on this project has reared its ugly head again. Working alone!

I need to either spin the Roof section 180° to be able to sheet the forward section. Or flip it over on its top to be able to trim up the edges of the rear section and then work on fitting the rain gutters.

But trying to spin a 100lb roof section that is roughly 57" wide by 66" on a table that is 48" x 60" with access to only 3 sides is turning out to be a Serious PITA. I managed to get it down off the supports I had under it to be able to sheet the rear section and I have managed to rotate it about 45° of the required 180° but I can go any farther without it dropping off one side or corner of the table.

I need another person to help. The wife is not an option My son is to far away one of the neighbor guys is off at rehab!!!! the other is a maybe and he won't be available until tomorrow if at all. I think its beyond what I should ask a grand daughter to try and their dad (my daughters ex isn't exactly someone to ask)

So here I am with the whole afternoon off by chance and all I need is a warm body that can lift 50lbs. LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2023 at 7:29pm
Pizza delivery guy.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2023 at 11:28pm
With my luck it would be some cute 17 year old girl. Who I assure you would not be walking into my shop!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2023 at 5:36pm
Well for better or worse the front section of the roof is currently all clamped up with glue oozing from various places. I managed to get a better clamping job on the front then the rear (least I think it is)

In about 24 hours the JB weld will be set up and I can pull the clamps. Except in 24hrs I will be at the coast playing tourist with the wife. So I guess I pull it apart Tuesday after work. I worry a little bit about the Butt joint where the two sections meet. Looks like I will have to do a little sanding to get a nice sharp edge to the angle. The front section looks to be riding a little high.

Once I get it unclamped I will have to have help as the next step is to trim the edges up and that requires it to be on its top. THEN what looks to be more then a couple hours of filing. I might buy another one of those nifty half round Bastard files I found at the Hardware store in Woodburn. always better to have a fresh edge.

Then I can fit up the Rain gutters and work on the interior panels for the front section. I'm going to put a bunch of Footman loops on the ceiling so I can attach things to the ceiling. Going to use elastic and Velcro straps.

I also need to drill through the luggage rack mounting bolt holes and the GMRS radio antenna mounting hole.

I really need to clean up the shop soon its getting pretty deep.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 140>