Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 141>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2020 at 1:40pm
Requesting photographs of the vehicle is pretty much standard procedure on an agreed value policy for many specialty or antique vehicles. Both Hagerty and J.C. Taylor do this.

My Taylor policy does not limit my use of the vehicle. No mileage restrictions, no use restrictions.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2020 at 6:33pm
Yea I won't have any trouble when I change up to general use insurance. Except the cost will go up this was the cheapest she could get me so I could get my plates.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2020 at 7:59am
So today more work on the Tire swing. I got carried away when I welded the mounting plate (where the studs go) to the 4" tube that is the stand off (the thing that holds the mounting plate out away from the Swing frame (which is built like a ladder kind of) The tube was to long and the tire mounted a good inch farther out away from the swing then I needed to be. SO today was all kinds of fun. The end of the Stand off tube that will get welded to the actual swing has 3) 1" deep slots cut in it to fit over the 1" x 2" and 1" x 1 1/2" tubing that makes up the Swing. SO my only recourse was to cut the slots off and redo them shortening the Stand off. The tire now sits about 1/4" from the Swing. I'll make some Micarta bumpers for the side wall to rest against.

Anyway once that was done I temp. bolted the thing on the swing and mounted up my spare to see how it all fits. And I noticed the HUGE VOID behind the Wheel And instantly thought of things that could be stored in that area.

The list:

30' Tow Strap
8" Tree Strap
collapsible LUG Wrench and socket
spare lugs and Nuts
Climbing rope and Carbiners /Anchor

I don't want to store anything to heavy like shackles and chains etc. Those will go in a 50 cal ammo can stored within the Jeep when out and about.

Also I am going to have a Full Moon cover on the Spare I can store one of the modern collapsible Water buckets behind the Moon cover.

I been doing some test fitting of my shovel and my two axes and Bow saw to see how they might mount to the back side of the Swing and it looks like once I get the thing welded up so I can work on it off the Back of CHUG it will be pretty easy to design some secure mounts to hold the Pioneer tools.

I'm not to keen on Dragging around even a 42" version of the High lift Jack. I would much rather find something less heavy and while a High Lift will out do my come a long I've pulled a bunch of stuff out with it that weighed more then CHUG even once its all loaded up. And for a jack I think I'll scare up a good 2 ton bottle jack. And carry something to make a bigger base for it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2020 at 1:44pm
I thought the Hi Lift Jack was mandatory. Everyone seems to have one. I was thinking about slotting my bumpers and using the jack I have that came from my Dad's '67 Tempest since it's been collecting dust anyway. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2020 at 6:57pm
In High School driving off road all the time. All I ever had in CHUG was an old crank up bottle jack. And I don't think I ever used it for anything in 3 years.

I do remember once out of the 3-4 times getting stuck that we couldn't get the Jeep out ourselves that a high lift might have come in handy. When I dropped the Right Front tire in a very deep ditch filled with mud and snow and couldn't pull it back out. Had I been able to lift it up we could have maybe gotten out without the guy that showed up with a winch.

I have one of the things its a Beast 48" long and heavy as all get out. Maybe I'll mount it on the front frame horns as a brush guard.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2020 at 2:13am
Had a moment of great indecision today. I had been planning to buy a fancy Waviar NATO 20L gas can for the back of CHUG. But looking at available mounting racks and their cost and ugliness. I was wondering about going old school. I have the original Jerry can mount dad had on CHUG. And I have like a half dozen Jerry cans. In the process of deciding what to order to use with a NATO can. I got looking at the one dad used so I grabbed one of my cans and was shocked at how clean it was inside. So I ran in canceled the Amazon order for the Waviar can and will clean up and paint what I already have.

So $10 in paint instead of $125.00 ifor a New can and mount. Ill have to fab up a locking strap but that will be easy.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 1:50am
LOL so looks like I am going to have a fancy Waviar NATO gas can anyway as they ignored my cancel the order message and its on its way.

Spent today grinding welds and trying to figure out how to get my 30" Bow Saw, Fiskar Axe, and Shovel mounted to the tire swing. I think I got the stack/combo/puzzle figured out. There's room for some other stuff though I don't know what else I might try to hang on the thing.

I figured out a super clean way to lock the Jerry can so it can't be removed. Using a pad lock between the outer handle grip and a eyebolt welded to the Tire Swing top rail. Super simple.

Need to figure out how I am going to prep the can it for painting its way to big to fit into my sandblaster and I'm not doing it in the Driveway. Maybe I'll just rotary wire brush it. The can has been empty so long it doesn't even smell like gas any more. Dads can mount I can fit into the sand blaster once I wire brush off some Rust.

I think a Nice Rustoleum Apple Red. I'm going to use a metal strap around the can to keep it from rattling I'll paint that Black. Should work almost as good as a SMV sign LOL

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 3:10pm
Great choice on the blue plates!
I did notice you had a February sticker, but I thought it was because you wanted it to match the red on your 22 sticker and figured since everything was matching on chug a two and a 22 in red looked better. LOLLOL
I couldn’t help but wondering what it would look like to paint the Willys lettering on the tailgate the same yellow as the license plate?
And in your spare time paint  all the lettering on the cylinder head and the ribs, yellow to match the plug wires.... no wait sorry!!
GET TO WORK ON THE HEADER!!!
(Chug) All time greatest flatfender ever!!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 5:38pm
Painting the tailgate WIllys would be a waste as the Tire swing would just hide it. As to the Hood I have not decided yet. But it won't be Yellow LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 3:27am
OH WOW My brand new Prestolite IAT-4405 vacuum advance distributor showed up.

Interesting its different then my Autolite IAT-4405's in that the body is aluminum not steel.

I have not decided if this is the one I will convert to a Petronix trigger or I'll keep it as a backup.

In any case I have three IAT-4405's now to figure out how to put a magnetic trigger into.

If I decide to start CHUG's engine with this Distributor running points I'll need to run a separate circuit as CHUG is currently wired for the MSD-6A spark box and a Petronix trigger.

either way I'm tickled.

I made good progress on my Pioneer tool storage on the tire swing today. I have the mounting clamps for the Shovel and Axe to a functional point. I'll do a little spiffing up on them when I pull them off to paint. I can't get around the Idea that the best way to mount the Bow saw and the PVC tube I have spare blades for it in is to just use large zip ties to hold it to the bottom rail of the tire rack. I can easily store a few spare Zip ties on the rack some how. And for the pennies a Zip tie costs its a lot better solution then trying to make anything different.

Turns out after deciding to run a traditional Jerry can as my jeep can and cancelling the Amazon order for the one I ordered. The wife decided of all the tools and stuff I had on my Christmas list she ordered me that same can!!!

LOL I'll use it on the Offroad trailer. As even though the trailer will have a built in 16gallon fuel tank I have a couple trips up North where I will still need additional fuel to be safe. SO the trailer is going to be equipped to carry at least one 20L can.

I have an odd thing to deal with now that I have the tools on the rack and the rack back on the rear of CHUG. The Synthetic handle on the Fiskar Axe is Hollow and the way I mounted it so the cutting edge would be up and the Plastic scabbard would protect the edge from having water set against it. Turns out the handle will fill with water!! So I am most likely going to shoot a little bit of spray foam in the end of the handle to act as a damn and pour an Epoxy and Milled fiberglass plug in the end. Hah maybe I'll put a little threaded plug in there and store my extra ZIP ties in the hollow handle LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 4:44am

You could use zip ties that have  a release on them so they can be reused.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

..... maybe I'll put a little threaded plug in there and store my extra ZIP ties in the hollow handle LOL.

I don't know, but I'm thinking if I was planning on carrying as many supplies with me as you have been listing, I think a whole pack of zip ties in assorted sizes would have been on my list a long time ago....just sayin'......I mean, especially if I'm packing a trailer too. LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 3:17pm
Oh true roc I was just thinking about spare zip ties not buried in the tool box or something like that. More right where I needed them.

The reusable zip ties is an idea I'll look into.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 3:56pm
I like me some zip ties....(and those Velcro strap thingys).

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 9:29pm
OK so got the Tire Swing mounting piece painted and then worked out how to get a good ground for the antenna bases (removed some paint and a little Dielectric grease on the threads GREAT reading on the VOM now)

This photo shows the right side mounts and the 304 Stainless Hinge pin I had been waiting for a .510 reamer to open up the holes a little bit so the hinge Pin would slide in and out easier (this is how the Tire Swing will be opened by removing one of the pins) But once I polished up the pins they reduced in diameter just enough to slide in and out smooth. I want them to start out a little tight so that when they get hammer formed they won't be loose. I figure all that rattling around they will be doing has to increase tolerances somewhat.

Once I have everything assembled and the tire and a full fuel can hanging I will put the final Torque on all the bolts and such.

SO far pretty happy can't wait to see what it all looks like assembled with the Pioneer tools and everything.

P.S. DANG IT I went to assemble everything and the Hinge pins still won't fit through the Ladder section of the Tire Swing. I used Micarta Blocks milled and Epoxied into the ends of the Corss pieces to make a nice bearing surface and Micrata has a tendency to drill to very tight tolerances. SO the dang .500 drill bit I used made a .500 Hole and trying to push a .500" Pin through it isn't working. So still waiting on that damn Reamer I been waiting for since the 8th (now 20 days) I think time to ask for a refund and order another one.

P.S.S. OK ordered another reamer Now the first one will show up tomorrow and I'll have two Reamers I have never had another need for LOL.

Man I love doing custom work!!!

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 6:20am
wow all afternoon to sandblast the old school gas can holder. The Black Diamond coal slag works well but my old compressor just can't do the job anymore. Plus there was lots of deep surface rust in the inside to blast out. Its hanging  with rust converter soaking into it. Tomorrow I'll decide gas can Red or Satin Black. Leaning heavily towards Red.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 8:09am
SO before bed I went out to make sure the shop was locked (big advantage to the shop being part of the house) and I took a look at the Gas Can holder. And a thought came to me. I have most of a can of Spray on Duplicolor Bedliner. I wonder how that would be to spray the inside of the can holder.

Well a quick google search tell me DUMB IDEA the stuff is not fuel resistant and will bubble up if it comes into contact with most automotive chemicals.

Guess I dodged that mess.

Flex Seal also a big NO

Guess I go back to my idea of a good paint and mud flap rubber with some drain holes.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2020 at 4:08pm
Urethane paint won't dissolve or bubble from ethanol.  
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 141>