Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 140>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2021 at 2:21pm
Closer yet to the Chug Start-Up video...can't wait to hear that hot-rodded Go Devil...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2021 at 6:10pm
I got to get some paint on the Header before I can finish the left side engine assembly. I been hoping for some weather above 50 degrees but may just have to go with it. Its only got to protect the tubes while I get the engine dialed in say a couple hundred miles then I tear everything a part again and have the Tubes Ceramic coated. There is a Nationally recognized shop just 45 min north of me so drop off and pickup is easy and no shipping to jack the price.

Still trying to decide on the color for the Tubes. The place offers:

• Cermachrome: a high-polished aluminum finish
  • Black Satin: a flat black, good to over 2,000 degrees
  • Cast Iron: a new cast iron look intended for restoration projects
  • Satin Silver: a glass-beaded, aluminum finish
  • Titanium: a Finishline exclusive, has a beautiful, dark gray pearl finish.
  • CermaWhite: This coating has proven to be a good thermal barrier and has a soft satin finish.
I'm leaning towards the Titanium which they describe as dark gray pearl finish.
The Black has the Highest temp rating at 2000 degrees and the White is the best at Thermal protection.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Hose routing Dodad all one piece of aluminum carved out of a block not rolled sheet.

How many hours are invested in that dodad?  A sharp looking piece.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2021 at 7:22pm
Maybe 2.5 hr. with designing it. I went through 3-4 drawings before I decided how I wanted it to look. Then about 15 min searching the shop for the smallest piece of aluminum to make it from. It started a block 5/8" x 2" x 2.5" From the block I marked out where the three holes were to be drilled. I then jigged it up the drill press vise and drilled the three holes .4375" for the hose and .375" for the mounting hole. Once those holes were drilled I then put the piece in my Milling machine vise and used a 3/8" D ball end cutter to make the first two cuts on the sides of what becomes the hose holding bosses. Then I switched to a 3/8" std four flute cutter and removed the material that would become the arc connecting the three holes. I did not remove the material much into the area that would eventually cut off.

Once I had the Piece shaped all except for being cut off the block I went to my vertical Belt grinder and using it I rounded the outside of the Hose holding holes to approx. .090" thick By doing this while still in the shape of the block I was able to use the belt grinders tool rest to support it. Once this was done I then went to the band saw and cut the inside Arc removing said Dodad from the block. I then went back to the Belt grinder and cleaned up more of its curves and then switched to some file round files and finally 220 grit sand paper on a leather faced sanding block to clean it up.

My years as a Custom Knifemaker while teaching me a lot of ways to get something done with the tool at hand also brought me tool suited to the kinds of work I am no doing on CHUG.

Sure in real time bases on my rate of pay as a Dump Truck driver this little Dodad cost me about $67.00 having someone else make it custom would have cost a small fortune. Had the Made in China catalog offered one it would have been most likely less then $10-12. That said it perfectly fits what I want it is another example of what I can do and its the ONLY ONE.

In the second photo there are 11 items that are one of a kind hand made items that only exist on CHUG.

The Battery hold down
The Oil fill tube
The Heater pipe holder
The Thermostat housing base
The Water pump pulley dress up cup
The alternator bracket
PCV Valve cover dome
The Fuel Pump block off plate
The header
The intake manifold
and the Dodad

I'm just that kind of guy LOL

Edited by Mark W. - 05 Feb. 2021 at 1:12am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2021 at 1:12am
OK I preformed surgery on my new Weber DGV-5A carb this afternoon. I did whats referred to as the "steep angle bowl vent modification"

Basically the reason for this mod is if you stick your nose way up in the air fuel slops over the internal vent causing the engine to go super rich and possibly flood out. NOT FUN WHEN CLIMBING A STEEP HILL.

Not sure where this mod came from but its a talked about thing on the Toyota and a few modern jeep forums as WEBER swaps are common with them boys and girls.

The typical way to do this mod it to stick a piece of tape over the bottom of the vent and pour the cavity full of JB Weld. Well this did not seam the best way to me so I happen to have some HDPE in my misc. materials box. So using the Belt grinder I made a nice ever so slightly tapered wedge of the stuff to pound into the little rectangular vent opening. And then being ever cautious I drilled a tiny hole and screwed a tiny wood screw into the tiny hole.

Then I threaded the unused port that is already in the top of the bowl for 1/8 NPT. Next inside the Bowl top I drilled 3) 5/32" D holes to open the port to the top of the bowl creating a new vent.

The Toyota and Modern Jeep guys then connect this port via a hose to their Charcoal canisters. I got no sticking canister so I am going to most likely connect to a small plastic fuel filter like I did with the axle vents. Or I might just leave it with a short section of hose hanging off it. In the original Vent its open to the inside of the air cleaner I might look at doing this as well.

SO photos

Its funny I looked everywhere for the little choke linkage pieces I was missing and finally decised to just buy another rod assembly.

When I opened the carb to do this mod inside the fuel bowl there were the pieces I was looking for along with a main jet and a missing main jet. I must have stopped somewhere in the process of putting different jets as recommended by a couple guys who have tuned their Webers with Air Fuel  gauges. Glad I looked in there LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2021 at 8:57pm
Holy Smokes Batman that looks fun!

NOT

so today I get up and think OK what to do on CHUG. What an idiot I decided to finally finish the Choke cable and Warm Air intake cables. These push pull controls are at the Top of the Dash where the stock Choke and Throttle push pulls would be. SURE WISH I HAD DONE THIS BEFORE stuffing the dash full of gauges and somewhere north of 11,000 miles of 14ga wire.

Just figuring out how to reattach the power lead to the Cigg lighter power port that is in the original Dash light location after I knocked the wire off with my fat hands took like 20min of cussing and cramps.

I had to chisel the Micarta grommet I had made to pass the cables through the firewall as there was no way to get it out SO of course I chipped a bunch of paint around it. Once I figure out how to redo the grommet I'll also figure out how to hide the chipped paint.

63 year old 260lb guys were not meant to try to be upside down under a Willys dash. Wheres a skinny 8 year old grandson when I need them. OH YEA all I got where grand daughters..

OH well they will look much better in the photos when its done.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2021 at 10:46pm
Man I hate waiting for parts. I came up with what I hope to be a simple way to make a removable step to help the wife get in and out of CHUG. It will use a mount that slips between the Rock slider and the Hat Channel under the tub. Then hangs down about 6" putting a Harley motorcycle cage type flip down foot peg half way between the edge of the door opening and the ground. Should work for her to put one foot on the peg then either step into the jeep or spin and drop her bottom on the seat.

I got the mount/hanger made and now I have to wait who knows how long for the folding foot peg thing to show up to be able to finish it. Nothing like interrupting the creative flow LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 12:55am
Order some of the aluminum for the hard top just now went to one on line metal outfit and was shopping around. Then went to another and the price was like a buck a foot less for 1/4" X 1" Then I checked the shipping and that was less. Then as I went to leave the cart and check out this box pops up offering me 15% off if I finished checkout. SO needless to say I have 12) sticks of  1/4" x 1" x 36" 6061 aluminum showing up in 4 days. These will end up being the base of the top, the top edge of the sides and the bottom edge of the top. All up rights and cross braces will be 1" x 1" x .125" for things like Door jams at the Hinge and .065" for less structural members.

No welding hopefully in the construction. Its all going to bolt together so to speak.

Hopefully I will have Chug on the road by end of March at the latest. As I want to build the top over the summer so I can get it painted before the temps drop in the fall.

Windows will be 1/4" Abrasion-resistant Polycarbonate 1/2 the weight of Glass and almost unbreakable. And highly resistant to scratching.

For the Skin I am thinking .040" 5052 but still working on that part.

Wimbledon White me thinks. With some Pacific Blue accents 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 7:54am
Went out in the shop (its actually part of the house) to fiddle around and ended up tuning the Hood hinge. When we got the be prepare to bug out order in Sept due to the Forest Fire approaching. The neighbor guy who wasn't getting ready for anything and his son came over and helped me throw the front clip on CHUG. So nothing was properly attached just a couple bolts in each fender and two of the hood hinge bolts etc. I have since gotten the Right Fender attached properly and because I got everything perfectly lined up during the final steps of the body work and then drilled 1/8" alignment holes through all the joints I am able to return stuff to that level of alignment with little cussing.

Anyway got the Hood all nice and set in place the way it belongs I thought I was going to need someone to help because I have a 1/16" thick spacer that sits behind the Tub side of the hinge to help push the hood forward a tiny bit more. But by loosening one side then the other of the outer bolts I was able to work it in place. The set best as I can tell without the Left fender in place looks real good. The back corners of the hood are almost perfectly even against the cowl and the Hood sticks out over the Grill real nice. Just beyond the roll.

I also got the Right side Rock Slider all mounted up and I added a little 1/4" thick Aluminum angle bracket to support the tube where the wifes step will slip in place when she needs it. MAN was that fun drilling three holes through the Hat channel and into the tool box. The once that was done I drilled and tapped two holes into the back side of the 1.75" .120 tube rock slider its very very solid now. I got the Rock slider put back on the drivers side and have the little angle bracket ready to drill. On the Drivers side since I have no intentions of taking that tank out the holes into the Hat channel (my hat channel is 1" x 2" .120 rectangular tubing) will be threaded 5/16"-24T and I'll do blind bolts like I am doing with the bolts that go into the rock slider tube.

I doubt the step will be used much at all on the drivers side but I want to make sure putting a persons full weight on the Rock slider hanging out there mounted to the frame won't cause any damage etc.

I went with hanging the Rock sliders 5/8" below the edge of the Tub.

This shows the little bracket which you can just see behind the body angle joint in the above photo the Hat channel runs vertical in this photo as I just reached under CHUG to take the photo I really didn't feel like getting on the floor again. You can also see the additional tubing support I put on the outer edge of the tub its 3/4" x 1 1/2" tubing. And for those coming to this epic story late everything under the tube is sealed with PC-7 epoxy putty.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Syreal_CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syreal_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 8:30pm
What is the metal site? I need some aluminium for a non jeep project and my local ACE charges way too much.

Eric
1948 CJ2A #206,482
1947 CJ2A #99,762
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 9:13pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 10:08pm
Syreal_CJ2A,

i used to live in Phoenix and used a great steel supply just off of I17, central Phoenix. Interstate Steel (see below), they have moved since i was there. the place was a small business, friendly, and sold shorts and cuts by the pound. fantastic place.

i would avoid buying from hardware or home stores when you have tons of better sources in your area. better selection and prices.

Edited by bight - 10 Feb. 2021 at 12:27am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 11:27pm
on line is who I deal with mostly and who I talked about above.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 11:59pm
Interstate Steel

12129 West Peoria Avenue

El Mirage, AZ 85335

Monday – Friday | 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM

Office: 623-536-2512 

Email: issthinkbig2@gmail.com
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 4:47pm
Depending on what you want and how much, sometimes scrap dealers can be a source.
Many do not want to be bothered, but some will sell you some of the scrap they have bought.
Most times it will be small pieces or steel that has rusted on one side while waiting to be used.
Sometimes you only need a little and don't really care if it's not pretty and new looking.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 6:49pm
Within easy driving distance I am lucky Cherry City Metals in Salem, Burchams in Albany, and SMI in Oregon city have just about anything you could think of in scrap aluminum and a lot of steel.

The stuff I bought from On Line and off Ebay is stuff I need a lot of all the same and perfect for the structure of the Top. SMI will be my go to place when it come to the outer skin as they have WIDE sheets of aluminum which I need for the top.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Within easy driving distance I am lucky Cherry City Metals in Salem, Burchams in Albany, and SMI in Oregon city have just about anything you could think of in scrap aluminum and a lot of steel.

Tom @ Cherry city metals is a great resource.....
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2021 at 12:23am
Tom retired sometime last year. Great guy hope he enjoys his retirement.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 140>