Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 141>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 4:45am
So I managed to get 4 days off (due to a NG pipe rupture no asphalt can be made) so I got started on my fall clean up. I like to spend a couple weeks cleaning up the shop and carport before winter.

BUT I had this one little thing I wanted to work on. My Custom Willys Logo Horn Button to work with my Grant Steering wheel.

This is what I can up with and how I did it.

The Horn Button I bought off ebay it had a Jeep button in the middle. Pried that off easy enough.

The center of my custom button is the little logo button from the center of a Willys Wagon or Pickup Hood Spear.

The Red and Black rings around the Willys Logo is a thin piece of Black Micarta I made on the lathe. then I painted it Apple Red and once dry I sanded off the top of the two flat areas leaving the Red only in the groove and on the edge.

A nice coat of Satin Clear to bring up the Black (it gets gray when sanded) and there you have it a Custom one of a kind Horn Button.

I'll glue the button down and it will be finished.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 3:46pm
That is beautiful! You da man Mark!

Hey Mark....PM me your mailing address....I want to send you something to match that horn button....

Larry

Edited by Lemield - 15 Oct. 2018 at 5:45pm
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2018 at 6:29am
WOW long time no updates.

Work has come to a huge slow down (rain does that to a Paving co) I been spending the last week or so cleaning up and organizing the shop. Making some real progress on that front.

I finished up the two little Air manifolds I was working on. I picked up the new windshield glass.

Another few days and I'll be done with the cleaning up. And I should be able to get back to actual work on CHUG. I think the first thing I'll work on is getting the Roll Bar, Rear Corner braces and Air tanks installed.

Pretty soon I'll have to start on the color sanding.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2018 at 12:17am
Over the years I have called automotive engineers every cuss word in every combination I could think for the stupid crap they do. Like putting a simple PVC hose up under the intake manifold on a Ford Focus so that what on any normal car should take 10 min to replace requires 500 cuss words and 6 hours. (cost at the dealership would have been nearly $700)

yet here I am trying to figure out how to mount a pair of Viair 1 gallon air tanks into the back of the Wheelhouses all the while being tired into the Roll bar and Rear Body mounted tire and tool rack. And let me tell you its turning in at least a 100 cuss word challenge.

I sure hope that once in place I don't have to monkey around with them cause to remove them the Tire rack (and everything attached to it) The corner braces (that I made to handle the load instead of the Sheet Metal doing it) and the then I'll have to take part of the Air Tank mount apart so I can wiggle the bare tank out.

At least I end up with the air connection at the bottom of the tank in a very easy position to work on.

If I had thought about the air tanks before making the Corner Bracing I might have done something different.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2018 at 5:21pm
DANG it I is was so engrossed in working on a couple of the parts of my Tire rack yesterday that I put off running to the hardware store.  I figured I could run to the near by hardware store that sells steel out of the back room today (Sunday) and buy up the 1'X2" tubing I need.

WELL they are closed on Sunday. Guess I find another part of the project to work on.

Edited by Mark W. - 04 Nov. 2018 at 6:57pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 6:48pm
SO finally I have the 4) mount/pivots for the tire rack fleshed out. Time to start on the actual ladder looking rack. I have to drill two 29/64" holes through the Tail Light Panels and then through the 1/4" x 3" angle iron braces I have put in the corners between the Wheel House Inner walls and the Tail Light panels to support the Tire Rack. Only trouble is I need the Roll Bar. Roll Bar Spacers, Corner Braces and all that tightened up to Torque to make sure the holes are in the correct place!!! WOW PITA.

I got real lucky and my hole layout from one side to the other appears to be spot on.

I keep worrying about how much weight and torque the 4) 7/16 NF G8 Bolts will be able to handle (actually only 2 bolts when the Rack is open) then I remember the WHOLE Rear Axle is held on to the Jeep with 4) 7/16" NF G8 bolts (spring eyes) and my brain calms down for a while.

I have two more braces to make that will go above the Top of the Wheel Houses to support the Top Tire Rack Mount/Pivots wish I had some scrap 1/4" x 4" angle laying around. Going to have to find a scrap piece some where.

OK back to work.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 9:30pm
Grade 8 bolts are 150 ksi in tension. If I remember correctly from engineering school. Shear values are taken as 60% of tension or, about 90 ksi.  I don’t know what the root diameter of a 7/16 bolt is. Let’s call it 3/8 inch. Then the root area would be 0.110 square inches. So the tension value for each bolt would be about 16,500 lb. shear would be about 9940 lb. realize that these are ultimate strengths. Normally a safety factor is applied that considers the application. Dynamic loading factors are typically higher. If we take the safety factor to be 4. The the safe load for the system (of 4 bolts) would be the ultimate values stated above. 
Short version of this is,  yea you should be able to pick Chug up and shake it till the corner panels ripped off with 4 bolts.

Edited for root diameter

Edited by Mike F - 09 Nov. 2018 at 11:38pm
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 12:17am
What???? Now I remember why I went into law enforcement and not Engineering.  lol
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 12:38am
Thanks Mike I am now completely calm. If you have followed my build you know I tend to over engineer anything I can. Being a non trained home engineer I tend to overkill if I can.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

If you have followed my build you know I tend to over engineer anything I can. Being a non trained home engineer I tend to overkill if I can.

Mark over engineer things? We didn't notice!
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 1:45am
glad I could help
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 9:04pm
I'm tired I fell asleep in my chair last night and when the wife came blowing out of the house at 4am on her way to work I woke up. SO I made some coffee and toast and went out to the shop.

I'm still deep into my fancy (evidently way over built) tire/gas can/pioneer tool rack. I have managed to get the upper right mount holes all drilled and threaded  and what ever so I thought time for some photos.

Ok first one is the Top Right Mounting block. You can just see two of the 5/16"NF threaded holes the 1/4" plates will mount to to extend the Rack out away from the back of the Jeep about 4" The mount is 3/4" T x 2" tall x 2.75" wide. And yes its pretty close to the tailgate chain anchors but it will all fit.

This photo shows the inside of the Rear of the Wheel House The Black thing is a 1/4" thick piece of 3" angle that has the curved piece welded to the top of it. this will be the backing plate for the back two Roll Bar mounting bolts. I'm using Metric Button Heads in this application and they are equal to our Grade 8 (but std. thread button heads do not for some STUPID reason come in G8) you see those bolts as the two long ones at the top of the photo. The Four holes across the middle of the Corner brace is where the Mount for the Right Air Tank will mount. The 1/4NC stainless bolts you see anchor the Corner Brace to the Tub. I still have the Hole for the Lower Rack mounting Block to drill. And once everything is drilled and the Roll bar mounted I will drill the very bottom hole to attach the Corner brace to the 3/4" x 1 1/2" tubing that is the support for the Bed.

And a slightly different view

And this is the PITA little Top mount brace that backs up the Right Top Mounting Block. It also ties into the Roll Bar mounting bolt (shown as the Button Head) I had to cut out my Micarta Roll Bar spacers to allow for these. I didn't have any material suited to make these so I ran to the Welding shop that did my intake manifold and the Owner son was nice enough to sell me some 3/8" x 3" x 5" angle (heavier then I wanted but hey take what you can get) Lot of cutting and fitting to get them to lay right.

I'll get the Lower Mount done once I have the Rack welded up to make sure it fits should be another PITA. And then on to the Left side LOL.

I have figured out how I am going to run the pivot pins so I can swing the rack to either side and still have it locked up tight and making sure someone with a Pair of "Steal your sh*t Cutters" can't get at the lock (OK some people call them Bolt Cutters)

Edited by Mark W. - 16 Nov. 2018 at 6:32am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 10:58pm
MORE pictures. I have gotten to the point I really can't do much more on the Tire swing as it turns out the Rotisserie is in the way of where the bottom cross piece will be. BUT I got enough done so I can assemble the Corner Braces, Air tanks, and Roll Bar. Which is where I was headed.

First up is the left side Mount and the extensions that move the rack out away from the Tub and Tailgate so I can pack the space behind it with Pioneer tools.

This one shows the Top Cross Bar in its approx position

And this shows the Right side pivots all nice and lined up. I am having to use a shim of about .090" thick under the Bottom Pivot to get the Hinge line to line up. On the Left side its almost .186" thick.

A closer view of the top Left Pivot
And a closer view of the Top Right Pivot.

I made a mistake when I figure how much 1 x 2 tubing I would need so I am going to have to grab about another 2' (mistake was made when figuring the material for the side extensions I will use to move the Tire Rack out past the 15" Box extension I plan to make later to haul more camping gear.

Edited by Mark W. - 11 Nov. 2018 at 11:59pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2018 at 11:05pm
OH and my new AXE showed up today. I am going with a Fiskar 28" Axe with a composite handle and 2lb head. Should handle any choping I need to do. If I decide later to figure out how to carry the Big Pulaski Tool then I'll figure that out later.

Oh one of the reasons I want to make a 15" box extension is to allow me to carry my rifle boxes. When I go adventuring or Varmint hunting I carry my rifles in a couple of large wood travel boxes. and with them being 52" long the bed in CHUG at 39" long just can't do it.  And to stuff that much more camping gear in the back.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:12am
OK more photos. I got the left tank almost in after all sorts of frustrations.

Here is the Roll Bar all trimmed in and looking as it will until I get padding on it. The end cap on the left got screwed up when I ran to long of a bolt in from the bottom so its being repainted when this photo was taken.

Detail of the right side

The Roll bar is mounted with a total of 16) 10mm grade 10.9 (equal to Grade 8 bolts in std thread) Grade 10.9 lock washers and Grade 10.9 Nylon lock nuts.

This shows the Backing plates inside the Wheel houses Including the Corner braces.

This shows the Left Air Tank installed from directly below

Front view of Air Tank. I will be figuring out some sort of mud flap to help protect the Air Tank and its fittings from what ever the tires try to throw up on them.

Tank Mounting details, the thick steel block has holes threaded into it from both sides acting as a captive nut so I could thread the bolts in from the outside without trying to figure out how to get nuts started in such a tight area.

The External Tank mounting details I had hoped to do this without Washers under the Button Head bolts but it turns out the Bolts would tear up the paint So I went with thin Stainless washers. I used a hand made thick stainless washers on the 5 /16" bolts  through the Tail light panel. As there was some body filler in that area and thin washers could flex into it.

This set up worked out very well no amount of hand and arm generated force can make the Tank move so I think it will hold to many many rough miles.

I was really looking forward to getting the Right side Tank installed tomorrow until I realized I had FRECKIN JURY DUTY TOMORROW. As soon as I remembered I got a call from Work and could have made a days wage. BUT no my number got called. OH well.

Edited by Mark W. - 16 Nov. 2018 at 6:40am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 3:58am
OH crap I just realized I haven't painted the two pieces of steel in the Air Tank mount. Hmmmm Guess I will have to decide if I want to tear that all apart. Always something LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 11:34am
Your air tank location is a great idea! I've been toying around with a similar sized tank and didn't even consider that spot. 

Roll bar and mounts look awesome! Incredible work as always. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 2:40pm
I'm trying to pack as much into the tiny space I have and since I couldn't have the neat military tool boxes in that location I figured Air tanks would be a good choice. Wish I could have found slightly bigger tanks like 1.5 gallon that would fit. but the Viair 1 gallons were about it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 141>