Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 141>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2019 at 9:11pm
Well thanks but what ever you do don't follow in my foot steps you might never get finished. Just kidding. Build your jeep the way you want it. Its YOURS only you have to be happy with it.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Syreal_CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syreal_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2019 at 10:46pm
True lol. One important thing I always try to do is "something" everyday, or everyday I am near the project. I've been restoring cars for 30 years and its a mantra I believe in. You need to build momentum. Today I didn't have much time but on my way into the shop I hit the Ace hardware and bought some grade 8 fasteners for the new axle bump stops (4 - 5/16x3/4" and 4 - 5/16x2" shouldered Fine thread). Installed one rear stop today and went on with my normal day. Eric
1948 CJ2A #206,482
1947 CJ2A #99,762
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 12:01am
I have the same mantra I try to do something towards the end of the project every day. During construction season (looks like its starting this coming MONDAY!!!!) its harder when working 60 hours a week. But if nothing else I am working on problems in my head while driving that dump truck.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 12:35am
OK so today was a do something then do it over kind of day. After a nice visit the other day from Mike F his comment "your going to need to bend that OD shifter" stuck in my head so yesterday I started to figure out exactly where I needed to "bend" that shifter.

I went to the Tub to figure out where the bottom edge of the dash should be in relationship to the Floor Body mount holes. I fugured those where easy enough and not going to change.

Then I started trying to figure out how to keep the OD cane away from the Out / In transfer case cane. And far enough away from the Huge mess of stuff I have on the top of the transmission shift cane. And and and and.

SO once I had an idea what I needed to do I realized I need to make it longer. Well tapering this one was quite the chore on my little lathe so I figured I would add to it. I made a 4" extension for the bottom of it turned a 3/8" X 24T stem on it to thread into the OD Linkage and then Drilled and tapped the other end with the same to accept the Original tapered cane I made.

The next step involved a bunch of drawing and head scratching trying to figure out how to put about a 10-15 degree bend in the middle of it so the whole thing wasn't hitting the Out / In cane or knob. First I was going to mount it like a Hurst shifter where it has a flat surface and two bolts then I thought I could cut the piece in half and weld it back together with the angle. Finally in my slippers I went out to the shop late last night and with my little Propane torch and my Newly mounted Olympic Brand 5" Chinese Vise I got for $20 at a yard sale and just got mounted earlier in the day (never used it) I put 3) Grade 8 1/2" bolts in the jaws with the 5/8" D x 4" L steel shaft in between them and started heating it. Never got really hot maybe 1100 degrees if that. But with a 20" cheater pipe on the Vise handle I slowly and I mean very slowly (expecting the vise to blow apart any sec.) I managed to bend the little Cane section as much as I needed.

OH hey and in the process stress tested the new (to me) vise. SO I now have three Chinese Vises that can handle way more then they should. The other two are Swordfish brand (the exact same vise LOL) I have had them over 30 years and done bad bad things to them over the years with never a complaint.

SO I now had the first bend I then ground a washer down to act as a shim so when the Cane was very tight the bend would point in the correct direction. This took a while.

I then needed to put a nice big radius bend in the original cane so it matches my unique Shift cane.

Since I don't own a Hydraulic press this is what I came up with. Two pieces of Poplar clamped to a sheet of Micarta and some C Clamps and a big Pipe clamp and a couple other wood working clamps.

I ended up having to sharpen the arc and re doing it as well as using the Vise to do the sharp little bend near the Knob end.

I wanted the OD shift ball above the Transmission Shift knob to make it easy to reach across no matter where the tranny shifter was. And I wanted it close enough to reduce any searching around for it. I tend to drive with my hand on the shift knob most the time a habit formed from driving a Truck with an 18 spd Road Ranger tranny on short runs. I'm always shifting.

I'm not sure just how I will lock the two pieces of the OD shift cane together most likely once I have everything done and some road time on it I'll pull it apart and put a 3/32" D roll pin through the threaded sections so they can't possibly turn unless I knock the pin out.

SO this is what it looks like I used the back side of my Signed Ted Nugget Poster as a back drop to make it easier to see how the shifter canes look together.

Still not sure what I am going to do for Boots. I have the JB fab 3) way Boot but its kind of big and clunky. I have some real nice Black Naugahyde and I might just see about stitching up something.

Still deciding how to anchor the Throttle Cable and the Electrical cable to the Tranny Shift cane. I might go as simple as a couple short sections of HD heat shrink tubing. Be easy to replace should I ever have to take it a part once all assembled.

Oh and if my measurements are close I should have a little more then an inch between the OD shift cane and the bottom edge of the dash. Just have to make sure I don't stick the heater controls there!

Edited by Mark W. - 26 Mar. 2019 at 12:37am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 1:38am
Yes Mark I enjoyed our visit.  For the forum. The pictures you see don’t really do Chug justice. Mark is an ingenious craftsman with a wide and varied skill set. He is applying all his acquired knowledge to build his vision of the perfect Jeep. The work I observed would not be out of place on a custom show car.  Luckily, although inspired, I came away still just wanting a simple little Jeep I can take out hunting. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 1:25am
OK so SCARY sh*t. I started color sanding.

First thing I did was to take some 800 grit paper and do a little practice on the bottom of the tub!!!!!

OMG two big WHITE spots. it took nothing to cut through the paint and hit the Sealer. OK now I'm worried.

SO I got to do something. I decide to attack the run on the rear top of the left fender. I put a layer of masking tape around the run so I can get most of it before I touch the paint around it.

So far so good using 800 again to reduce the run to not much more then the orange peel .

I then switch to 1200 grit and get my little Silicone Squeegee that will show me whats what when I pull the water and slurry off it. I work a little around the run and in no time its gone. I keep at it and except for a small area forward of the Hood latch that needs another going over I have the Top of the Left Fender to a very smooth 1200 grit. A few bottom of the orange peel still showing. But I'm very happy.

Tomorrow I am going to get set up to go at the sanding big time.

My years of hand sanding knife blades to a perfect satin or mirror finish is paying off I know when to stop one grit before the surface is perfect which allows the flaws to be gone as the surface has the desired finish. I can't wait to see what it look like once I have the 2500 grit stage done.

Edited by Mark W. - 27 Mar. 2019 at 2:00am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 3:34am
OK I have the Top the slope and the top inner panel sanded. AND there will be a little touch up painting. Guess I find out how my air brush does touching up thin spots.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2019 at 7:58pm
SO wet sanding out the paint. I just discovered something. I am using P grade sand paper and its not the same as US std grade.

So what I have that is P1200 is doing the same cutting job as roughly 700 grit US. Well on the one hand its working faster LOL on the other I won't need to rough up the bare spots when I touch them up with my air brush. As the paint tech sheet says 600-800 grit for recoat.

The P2000 I was planning on finishing up with is equal to about a US 900 grit.

Looks like I might have to buy some more sand paper!

It interesting I am getting a super smooth finish with virtually no satin marks.

I have the two front fenders done. I did the Tops the back slope the top panel on the inner fenders and of course the outer rolled edge. The left one has a pretty good sized area right next to the Grill on the edge that will need touching up. The rest of the oops on the fenders are pretty small areas.

I have the Dash done. I have a couple areas to thin to live with and 3-4 small areas that will need a little more color.

I have from the Right Top curve on the Cowl across and down to the Body joint center of the Drivers door opening. Again a couple areas on each panel that will need a little additional paint.

My plan for adding paint to these areas is to use my Air brush and slightly thinner paint. I put my left over paint into two Quart Cans and filled them up to the same level they would have been in a new can of paint. So hopefully no damage to the paint in the 10 months since I got the thing painted.

Once I have the bare spots covered I will go over them with the P2000 grit I have to blend them. And then I'm going to a buffer. I really don't want a Mirror finish just something even color and smooth.

I figure how ever this turns out I will live with it. If it drives me crazy. Once CHUG is back on the road I can always repaint. Which will be so MUCH easier then coming from bare metal and filler.

I can scuff the exterior up with some 600 USA and then just mask off everything I don't need to reshoot.

The Tail Gate will be fine the way it is especially since it will be hiding behind the Tire swing and all the stuff mounted on it. The Hood looked real good so I am not sure what I will do to it yet (its been wrapped up since it dried to keep crap off it. And the Grill could come out of this color sanding pretty good as its only going to get sanded with the P2000 on the flat areas.

Maybe in a few years If I decide to reshoot it I'll have someone who knows how to do it do that. Heck the exterior of the Tub and the Hood sure can't cost much if I deliver it prepped and masked.

I never hoped for or even wanted a show car finish I always wanted just a smooth even solid Blue. So now to see if thats what I end up with.

WISH I KNEW HOW TO DO THIS CRAP.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 3:58pm
OK so the Tub is all sanded out to my P1200 grit (700 grit in CAMI) its pretty dang smooth I only picked up a couple more spots where I sanded through the paint to the Sealer. (way glad I had the body so flat before starting paint) I've decided not to sand out the Tail Light panels or the area around the Tail gate it will be hidden behind the tire swing and has minimal orange peel and a pretty good gloss already. I'm not going to sand the Firewall I see that as a nightmare and I really don't care if there is some texture to the paint there.

I'll unpack the Windshield and take a look at it if I do sand on it it will only be the high panels and the frame. Not going to try dealing with the channels. Then I need to decide on the hood.

Once I am completely done with the P1200 grit I'll get everything washed up and prepped for paint. I am going to make soft edge masks for the area I will be adding paint to. I think I came up with a neat way to do it.

I'll tear a piece of Brown Shopping bag into the shape I need. Then place some of those little high power magnets about 1/8" thick around the area then place the Paper mask over that and hold it in place with more magnets. This will control the over spray without leaving a sharp edge like masking tape would. When I do this I'll get a couple photos of it.

Once I have all the "thin" spots covered I have some 3M 1500 grit Imperial sand paper I will go over the areas I sanded with the P1200.

Then I have decided to make a 5/8"-11 arbor for my Makita 9.6V angle drill which turns at 800 rpm so it can hold the Harbor Freight Foam pads and I will see what using the Meguiars 105 compound on a blue foam pad does. After that I will either be happy or move on to the 205 compound and a polishing pad.

I have decided that how ever this turns out I will run with it. And down the road in a couple years after some other projects are completed I will think about a repaint. Ought to be a few trail scratches on CHUG by then anyway.

the light areas you see here are either paint dust or reflections. The thin areas are very small.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Syreal_CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syreal_CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 9:05pm
Great color. Lookin good.
1948 CJ2A #206,482
1947 CJ2A #99,762
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 9:45pm
Thanks it was the color it is in my avatar. But as a kid I never liked Dads Orange. So I figured since its my Jeep now I would do my color. It was originally Potomac Gray well at least part of it was The windshield was a dark green (its off I believe dads previous Jeep a 49 3A) The Tailgate was Yellow (no clue where its from) Currently the fenders are made from 5 different fenders two of the from a 3A they came to me bare metal with very light surface rust so no clue as to their original color. The hoods a repop all the floor that is flat as well as the Riser is DIY so that was bare metal when I started. Dads roll bar was White the Windshield, Floor, and under fenders front and back were all black.

The paint is Kirker Ultra-glo Urethane enamal The color is Pacific Blue and in the sun it looks like this

A little less purple the fluorescent lights mess with the color some
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 6:29pm
Mark, your shifter set-up reminds me of early 13-speed Fuller Roadrangers...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 8:47pm
3/31/2019  100,000+ Views on this Thread.

I think only about 20K are mine LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 8:48pm
Luzon I never drove a twin stick Road Ranger. Our oldest truck at work has a 9 speed my current truck has a 18 spd with single speed axles. But I do have full lockers I can turn all 4 sets of drivers into a Half Track LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 11:57pm
WOW I'm tired  I have the Front Fenders, Tub done to P1200 grit (almost 800 grit but some how finer!) the point I need to address the thin spots, I have the Windshield, and Grill done to 1500 grit and also need to address some thin spots on them. I'm almost half way through with the hood to 1500 grit and have already a couple areas to touch up.

Tail gate is good as is. I figure its got some Orange peel but it has some gloss and will be hidden behind the tire swing. Out of sight out of mind LOL.

It will take me most of tomorrow to finish the hood. Then I need to get all the thin spots ready for a little more paint. Once that is done I'll let everything cure out for a week and come back in with 1500 grit on the Tub and Front fenders to touch up and blend the new paint. The same with the Windshield, Grill, and Hood but those will just be spot sanding as they are already 1500 grit.

Then I am going to start the Buffing.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2019 at 8:33pm
OK at this point all the Wet sanding is done. The Right side of the hood turned out disappointing with a lot of thin areas in the curve section. I'll be laying on quite a bit of paint in this area to try to correct it.

The top of the hood save a couple spots around the hinge and along the trailing edge is pretty good.

I'm going to start with the Dash again doing the touch up painting then on to the Fenders/Tub/Windshield/Grill then last the Hood.

I'll give it a week to cure up then I'll come back with 1500 grit and smooth it in.

Then I'll see how big of mess I can create with some Blue buffing pads and some Meguiars fine cut I want to try a very unaggressive compound first I can always buy more aggressive But I am so worried about burn through and I am not ready to give in and suggest its supposed to look like that its a Patina LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 2:05am
SO today since I got done with my wet sanding. I have been working on restoring my Salem Jeep Club plaque. As I am sanding and sanding on it (looks like someone wet at it with 80 grit) I start thinking hey this really looks familiar like the style of it. SO I go looking for some business cards my dad made up in the early 60's for a gun shop he was thinking about adding to our house. Sure enough the lettering is similar.

So today my mom hits me up to come fix a couple things at her place and while I have her there and seaming pretty sharp I ask did dad do the art work for the Salem Jeep Club Plaques and without a heart beats hesitation she says yes. And he also did the Unit sign for his Air National Guard unit its still hanging in the Hanger in Salem. One of my moms friends grandsons is an air borne EMT and has verified the sign is still there.

SO This is cool I am restoring the plaque that my dad designed and the club came out and took his away from him when he left the club. The one I have is not the one that was on the Windshield Vent on CHUG. Its been on at least 4 other jeeps as it seams like they had to drill more holes in it each time!

A friend of mine who was connected with the club when it finally fell apart had the remaining club property dumped on him decided I should have one so he brought me the last one he still had.

There is a photo of a really nice one someone sold a while back on eBay on ewillys here's that photo.

The Club is still a Club (a couple family's)

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 6:55pm
So I spent some of this morning carefully masking off the thin spots in the paint on the dash using torn paper held about 3/32" to 1/8" up off of the surface with little magnets. I mixed up a tiny bit of paint using 12cc syringes from the feed store and one of those little medicine cups with the graduations on it. And my first test looked really good using my Badger 250 air brush (like the cheapest you can buy not at Harbor freight LOL) And it laid on a real nice first coat. The mist is so fine (I'm running it at 40 psi and about a 3/4" wide pattern) I think just one more coat in about 10 min should be good.

The spec sht says full cure in 18 hours at 70° so I'll give it two days min before I start on it with some 1500 grit.

I think unless I end up with more thin spots blending this in I should be able to achieve a pretty even 1500 grit finish to buff out.

Soon as I get the second coat on the dash and it has time to setup a little I'll get started on the thin spots on the rest of the tub. I would really like to get all this touch up painting done today/tomorrow.

I started trying to figure out how to hang my Rock sliders on the frame. WOW the forward support on the Drivers side is a nightmare. With everything from Clutch Arm, Clutch Pivot, and Master Cylinder mounts and bolts in the way.

I think I figured out a way to build a forward support mount that will allow the Clutch Arm to pass behind it. It puts that support about 6" farther forward then I would like but its not going anywhere close to where I want it so this is a good compromise. This is the last real challenge for the Chassis assembly to deal with. I'll work on it inbetween touch up painting.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 141>