Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 141>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 9:13pm
Mark,

Wire numbers might help down the road.  I have used them on my trail Jeep and they are a big help.  Next time I am going to put wire numbers not only on the terminal ends of the wires, but also half way along each wire.

My fuse box is a metal first aid kit with several holes in it for wire.  It is really nice but if I had to do it again, I would mournt it in the engine bay where it would be easier to access.  It is currently mounted on the inside of the firewall.  I would also drill holes too small for a mouse to enter.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 9:54pm
That's hilarious  Stev I just walked into my office and took note of the First aide box sitting on one of the piles of stuff in my office thinking I wonder if I could fit it all in there?

Then I sat down at my computer and read your post.

With the number of Neighborhood and Ferrel cats around here peeing on my Wood pellets, mice do not seam to be a problem. But a good point to have it as sealed up as possible.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 6:44pm
I'm getting close to having some photos of this wiring mess to show. I made a decision last night to remove the second multi function light switch. And will be replacing it with a 3 position push pull  I'll use it to control my Fog and Driving lights since having both on at the same time would be unlikely. Just to many wires under the dash.

The final design of the Fuse panel is working out well yesterday was spent making a connecting block that will in 5) connectors give me 30) 14ga connections. More then enough. Going to be a PITA getting all the connector pins crimped and organized I been making up charts as I go to help.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2019 at 7:58pm
Off Topic a little is it good or bad that the guys down at NAPA can ID my voice on the Phone????

Oh and I got something I bet none of you guys have one of the young guys at NAPA that patiently waits on me is named WILLY LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

...one of the young guys at NAPA that patiently waits on me is named WILLY LOL.
The parts manager at replacement auto parts during my first jeep lifetime was Willy H., ... dude knew how to spend my money, lol, in a good way.  I owe him a lot to this day Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 10:17pm
As an odd excersize today I got to thinking how little of CHUG actually belongs to the Title as a 1948 CJ-2A

Sheet Metal: Cowl, Firewall, Dash, Toeboards, Tunnel. The top and front of the wheel houses
- 1/2 of one top, About 75% of the inner fenders and all of the outer fenders, Maybe the Grill

Front Axle Housing, Knuckles, Hubs, Gears, Carrier, Axle Shafts?

Headlight buckets maybe
Pedals and Pedal Arms,
Transmission Case
Skid Plate maybe,
Master Cylinder fill cover plate,
Tail Gate Hinges
Windshield Pivot mounts
Seat Frames and hinges
Steering column mount
Hood Latches
E Brake cane

There might be more but walking around looking at everything I can't see or think of anything
else. The Grill is a big maybe which would most likely make the Headlight Buckets also a maybe.
I can't remember seeing any Gray paint when I stripped it so it might have come from somewhere
else.

I do know there are parts Dad or I have put into CHUG from no less then 28 other Jeeps from 1946 to 1972 CJ-2A's, CJ-3A's, DJ-3A's, CJ-5's Wagons, and Wagoneers even a FC-150

Not much of the original 2A really

First time someone rebuilt this jeep was in the very late 50's when it was put on a 56-57 CJ-5 Frame. Then in the early 60's Dad used parts from a junker 49 3A he had to better Chug as he was getting it back on the road. He added an engine from a 58-59 DJ-3A and rebuilt it. I know the tail gate was from a different jeep as its original color was yellow.

Those of you who havefollowed my build thread know how much I have scratch built or replaced.

So I guess when I tell people I am building a new CJ-2A with a few old parts I'm pretty close to accurate.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 11:48am
Chug-a-Lug is like the woodchopper's axe: the head and handle have been replaced but it's still the woodchopper's axe.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 1:35pm
If you decide to go into production, you could stamp Chug a Lug into the hood and windshield frame. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 5:55pm
OH I assure you this will be a one of a kind. If I ever think I have the time money and energy to build another vehicle. It will either be a Rat Rod CJ ( due to having so many of the parts needed already) or a Willys Wagon. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 1:47am
OK I probably made a dozen mistakes and first time I put power to this mess it will burn the house down. BUT I think I have my way overly complicated Fuse Box kind of done.

I still want to round the corners of the Micarta Box.
I still have to hinge or somehow attach the aluminum door (thinking of using machine screws) I might also make a mount in the center and use a single hold down screw like an Air Cleaner lid.
I still want to paint the thing.

All that said I had to put it in place to make sure it would fit and I could get everything hooked up.

I still have everything on the Steering column to get wired in

Tach has 4 wires
Vacuum gauge has lighting so 2 wires
Signal Stat 800 has a bunch of wires and then there are all the little LED warning and signal lights.

And other stuff

But this will show you how crazy I am and why I haven't been posting photos and updates like I should.

This set up is the Third Fuse box design I have worked on the last one was pretty close to done when it became clear it wasn't going to fit.

OK first up is the Fuse Box sitting on the bench. You can see the retaining ring (its blue) I had one heck of a time making the bock to hold the Molex connector blocks. I divided thing up into groups best I could based on where the power came from Battery (BAT) Ignition (IGN) Accessory (ACC) then a (MISC) that handles the Locker wiring and a couple left overs. And a Connector for all the Ground Wires (I am not using the Tub as an electrical conductor The engine will be grounded as will the Frame also not being used as a conductor) I know this makes for a bunch more wire but it also makes for a much better circuit.

The Big two conductor connector in the photo is where all the power comes into the panel via 10 ga wires.

This is the harness side of all the connectors hangin out of the BIG HOLE I cut in the firewall (Boy did that have a pucker factor)

You can see the retaining ring hangin in the back ground.

This shows the Fuse box open. You can see the two 80 amp relays that handle the Ignition and Accessory circuits. The ignition switch only triggers these Relays so that very little amperage actually passes through the Switch. Just the trigger voltage and the Signal wire to the Starter button that then goes on to the Starter Relay.

The black box in the middle of the left side is the electromechanical Flasher that will handle up to 24 lamps (so it can handle my off road trailer etc.)

A relay for the Electric Fuel pump that is triggered by a Oil PSI Switch protected circuit. And two empty Relay mounts for the future.
The small relay to the left is the Rear E-Locker control relay. Room to a front one next to it.

You can also see the 12V power port I included so I have some where easy to plug a work light or what ever.

A quarter view that shows the depth of the Fuse Box (its roughly 2.125" deep)

And last the Under Dash View of all that stuff connected up I can reach almost everything (while standing on my head of course)

I have a Neoprene foam Rubber gasket between the Fuse Box and the Firewall and will include a device of some sort to direct water away from the Box coming off the Rain gutter (Why couldn't dad have made it 2" longer LOL.

So there you have it.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 1:55am
Mark, why the choice of Wood for your electrical box? I'd think with your exceptional fab skills a metal box would've been a snap...
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:08am
It's not wood, it's micarta.  I would like to know the rationale for painting the top part of the toeboard gusset black...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:34am
Micarta is a Phenolic Resin based material One of it's more common uses is as an electrical insulator like circuit boards also it's almost as tuff as aluminum.

The Black painted Toe Board Gusset is because one of the earlier versions of the Fuse box was so big I had to cut a notch in the top of the Gusset for it to fit. When I came to my senses I welded up the notch and since there was no way I was going to go through all the hassle of trying to paint it Blue which most likely wouldn't color match any way. I masked it off and painted it with VHT Epoxy Satin Black. I'll live with it.

Edited by Mark W. - 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:44am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 3:43pm
Thanks for 'splainin', Mark. In the pics the Micarta sides look like they have plywood-like plies. You've created an Electrical Module.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 5:48pm
The structure of this type of Micarta is similar to Fiberglass. Except its a whole bunch of really fine linen fabric with the resin impregnated into it at extreme pressures. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 10:19pm
So this fuse panel is driving me crazy. I won't go into the details but trying to paint when its 49 degrees outside is a little frustrating.

So here is what its going to look like.

Front view I made a knob to hold the panel cover in place from a slightly beat up Willys Wagon Hood Spear Medallion and some Micarta. There is a 3/32" thick Neoprene Foam gasket under the lid and between the Box and the Firewall.

Here is more of a top view that shows the Rubber weather strip I am using to help make sure water from the extended rain gutter Dad made that has to end about 3/4" from the edge of the panel (yea this is part of the frustration stuff) Its the kind of thing that had I known what I was going to do Fuse panel wise 3 years ago I would have extended the rain gutter another inch and a half. BUT here I am.

And a Quarter view that shows the depth of the box which with the lid is about 2.125" Hopefully I can still get at manifold bolts and Throttle Linkage with this in the way. Cause removing it and unplugging it is a PITA.

This photo was taken while I was still working out how I wanted to run the rubber weather strip so you might notice it looks funny.

I have a couple circuits left to finish hooking up the Locker Relay trigger circuit that runs through the Lighted Armored Green switched below the Speedometer and to the Push pull switch on the Shift cane still has to be hooked up as well as a couple others.

Once I have these squared away I am going to go through the laborious process of testing each circuit with my 12V Jump Start Battery and a test bulb. If everything passes then I am going to get on to the stuff I need to do before setting the Tub on the Frame. The goal at this time is to have the Tub on the Chassis in a couple weeks.

Should be interesting trying to get that huge snake of a cable with all the wires from the rear of the Tub up through the conduit and into the under dash area.

I have come up with the "first idea" for how I will connect the front and rear light circuits to the Turn Signal Switch and the Indicator lamps. I'm going to use a 12 position Barrier Strip mounted to the Steering Column on a mount that will allow it to turn on the column and once everything is hooked up I can rotate it to the top of the tube and keep everything out of the way.

OK enough for today.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2019 at 7:53pm
Why is it when I come up with a nice clean idea to do something it always turns out to have 1 or 2 less connectors then needed or some other ALMOST right thing about it. Drives me crazy. Looks like I have to figure out how to get 13 connections on to a 12 position barrier strip LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2019 at 12:35am
Well last night after dinner was depressing I got to looking at some photos of guys Willys when I saw an angle I haven't seen that clearly shows how close the Car is to the Firewall.

Drove me crazy all night wondering if the new Fuse box was going to clear that HUGE 10" Air cleaner can I have. SO this morning I did some measuring off the Tub mounting holes and made a stick figure thing to represent the lid of the Fuse Box. And sure enough when I put in the right position on the frame. It touched the Air Cleaner can.

I then tried to see what I could do about moving the Air Cleaner can Forward and best I could do would have given me between 5/8" and 3/4" clearance. Not enough.

SO I am now working to mount the whole Fuse panel behind the Firewall with only a 3/16" retaining ring and the 1/8" thick door protruding into the engine compartment. Hopefully I won't have to disassemble the electrical parts of the box to drill all the new mounting holes.

As I said before a simple restoration would have been done many years ago. LOL

I guess in a couple days I will have some new photos to show.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 141>