Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shovel bracket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shovel bracket
    Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 2:18am
Can someone measure their shovel bracket? We have an old shovel that belonged to my wife's grandfather, and we'd like to see if it fits. It's still in good shape and has a bit of history, he even used it when he was working on the Alaskan pipe line. I want to give the old tool new purpose by adding it to our frankenjeep.
josepyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 2:30am
here it is, right above where I want mount it on the side.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 2:53am
no CJ2A's had a shovel bracket installed. Only the early 2a's had the indents on the tubs, leftover from the WWII jeep bodies, but again, no brackets were installed.

the shovels that were on the WWII jeeps all had a drop-point head, the flat-head in your picture would have been too long to mount in the original brackets..
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

josepyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 3:10am
Originality is far from the goal on this jeep. I don't have indents or aiming to use any, I was thinking of putting a bracket on the right rear quarter panel and just hanging it over the wheel arch. I was wondering the bracket Walcks has would work(since I'm building an order) or if I would need to fab one.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 3:13am
As Mike said, your shovel has the wrong shape to fit the bracket, it's designed for a pointy shovel.
josepyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 3:21am
My mistake, I thought he was referring to the fit against the body in the original position. Sorry and thank you.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 4:10am
That said, you might be able to use the picture of the one from Walck's as a model to make one that works with your shovel in your intended location.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
josepyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 4:40am
That was actually my next course of action.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 10:42pm
Thumbs Up. May I be the first to inform you that you've been officially diagnosed with "jeep fever"
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
josepyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2015 at 2:27am
Ha, I've caught the bug a while ago but building one on a tight budget and no metal work experience is tough. I'm gonna put an ax on the opposite side as well. Pretty sure I can use a original style sheath for that, just upside down for my use.
 Post Reply Post Reply