Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2015 at 12:33pm
I don't see the yoke installed on the shaft. I think you have to have it on and tight to check bearing load and endplay. Great job on the speedo! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2015 at 12:27pm
So I've had a few days off over Christmas, and that means a little more time to progress the rebuild...

I have been able to locate, restore and put back together an original speedometer. It is an Autolite, and seemed to be in fairly good condition, apart from a peeling paint job and needing to be cleaned up. I removed the bezel, did some nominal cleaning on the inside, oiled all the gears, tested it to see that it worked freely, painted the bezel and inner ring matt black, resealed the glass to the bezel with a little RTV bead, and put it all back together. It is not perfect, but I am pleased with the outcome, especially seeing as it is my first one! The glass has one or two small scratches, but nothing serious and I figure it is part of the history of this jeep, so I left them. Here is a pic before I started.

And here the finished product...

The case got a coat of clear lacquer just for fun, and because I like the fact that there is a faint stamp on the back of the case saying where the speedo was made, in Lacrosse, Wisconsin.

The crimping of the bezel back onto the case was not easy, but it can be done with a reasonable result if you are patient and take care.

Apart from that I am about half way through my transfer case rebuild.

There weren't enough shims in the Novak Adapter kit to get the endplay adjustment right - I had to go back, clean up and reuse some of my old shims from when I took it apart. You can see that the final shim pack in the photo is quite thick, certainly more than I expected. It is the entire Novak shim pack plus the thickest shim from my old shims. Has anyone else experienced this? Endplay is now 0.003" before I do the final seal of each shim. I'm expecting to end up with between 0.003 and 0.004" at the end.

That's it for the moment, Happy Christmas everybody and here's to a GREAT 2016!!!!

Mike

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 6:52am
December 2015:

I've made some good progress on cleaning up the transfer case, and painting it. Now ready for the rebuild!

The springs have all been disassembled, stripped and cleaned leaf by leaf, and then painted. I can't tell you how good they look compared to how they started! It was a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Finally (and perhaps most exciting) the rims have come back from the paint shop. Luzon Red looks good!

I still have a long way to go, but the progress is evident!

Thanks for checking in, and Happy Christmas to all flatfender owners...

Mike

Beer4MeThx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer4MeThx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2015 at 8:25pm
That's what I'm afraid of.  A new kit is over $200, add in a couple gears and you are in for another 2.  I'm pretty sure I could get a used working one for less.  Just gonna have to do some looking.

If you go to the How To information section of the forums I added a video of a t-case rebuild.  The guy goes in to pretty good detail.  I found it helpful to watch.  Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2015 at 7:49pm
Thanks Beer4Me,

It is not difficult. If you take time to read the various guides available, understand how it all works, and are patient in the rebuild, anyone should be able to do it.

You can see how my gearbox looked earlier in the build if you scroll back through my project thread. It was not in terrible condition, but reportedly jumped out of second gear, which is a fairly common problem. Since I am doing a complete rebuild from the bottom up, this was just one of the items to tick off! Transfercase next!

Mine did not have much rust, so I could re-use most of the gears, excepting the problematic 2nd gear. If yours does have rust, you should probably count on all new internals. Most good rebuild kits will include small parts, new front and rear bearings, and a new countershaft of decent hardness. So all you will need to add will be the gears themselves, and you will be good to go.

I made my own rebuild guide from various sources, mostly based on Rick Stivers well known guide, but modified where I found his instructions a little unclear, or I found a better way of doing things, or he didn't mention something that I found important. If you want this let me know.

Cheers -

Mike
Beer4MeThx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beer4MeThx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2015 at 2:29pm
Looks really good!  Was it pretty easy to do?  What did it look like when you started?  My gearbox is full of rust.  Debating on trying to reuse it or get a used one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 7:15am
So the T90 rebuild is complete!

I'm pleased with the outcome - this is my first T90. Heck, it's my first gearbox!!!

I've got one or two technical questions which I've posted over on the Tech Q&A page. Head on over if you think you can help:

Thanks for checking in!

Mike

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2015 at 12:26pm
Nice clean work! I'll bet you built models as a child and haven't ever stopped! Just got bigger models----LOL, John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2015 at 10:49am
Looking great Mike! That T90 is going to be nice!
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2015 at 3:56pm
So I've made some really good progress since my last post. I'll try and keep it short and sweet!

- The T90 master rebuild kit from Novak Adapters has arrived (remember this takes 6 weeks where I am!) I also decided to go with a NOS mainshaft, shift rails and shift forks from Peter Debella, and good second hand main drive gear. My tranny is going to be like new when I'm finished!
- I have stripped the transfercase, cleaned it, and it is now ready for paint. Rebuild kit from Novak has also arrived. 
- Rear axle has been stripped out, cleaned to bare metal including drums, hubs, brake parts etc, and now ready for paint
- Engine is off the frame and on an engine stand.
- Springs have been stripped and cleaned, leaf by leaf, almost ready for paint.
- Thread that matches the new shift lever knob has been welded onto the end of the shift stick, so this now works
- Rims have been sandblasted and taken to the paint shop for their coat of Luzon Red!

Below a few photos.....

So lots of parts are now ready for paint, I need to wait for a good weather weekend to get this going! I'm also pleased that other things like NOS parking brake linings have arrived so I can re-line my brake shoes. Lots of things to get going with now!

Thanks for checking in...

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2015 at 4:04pm
So a little update on the last 10 days:

I did put the tranny and TC back on the frame and confirmed that they sit at the right height, or within 1/5" anyway, based on measurements a kind forum member sent to me. I'm going with it for now, and will trust that any final adjustments can be made on the rebuild side of the teardown!

So the T90 has been stripped, parts rebuild kit is awaited from Novak Adapters. Here are a few photos:

Off the frame:

Old paint being stripped:

Ready for painting:

I have painted it now, but realise I don't have a photo to post Embarrassed

On other fronts, I have put my front diff back together, and am really happy with the results. The backlash is at the bottom end of the spec range and the wear pattern on the ring gear teeth looks good... I discovered that assembly lube works really well as a mesh pattern marker. The shiny parts on the face of the gear teeth is where the lube has been squeezed out from the pinion meshing with the ring gear.

Forward pattern:

And back pattern:

I'm onto the parking brake now. The drum and backing plate were a greasy mess, springs seem not to be original, all bent out of shape and with home made end clips.

The shoe lining was unevenly worn and down to the shoe metal in the worst places. Everything has been stripped and cleaned, ready for paint.

The next step is to disassemble the transfer case, strip and paint the housing, and be ready to reassemble as soon as the rebuild kits arrive. I'll also carry on with the parking brake and I want to take a look at the clutch while I'm digging around. I already know the clutch fork has been broken and welded by Bubba!

Thanks for checking in! 

Edited by JeepSaffer - 28 Sep. 2015 at 4:10pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2015 at 1:51pm
Nice idea Stan! You are lucky with the space you had available. I am really jammed with the space I have. Unhappy But I am doing the best I can with what I have..

So last night I got the tranny/TC out from under the vehicle. Felt like progress even though it's just a part removal!

I might have to put it back in place temporarily though to confirm the heights of the tranny and TC relative to the frame. Seems there was some well meaning work done on the crossmember by the PO that had some unintended consequences. I have a thread on the Tech Q&A about it:

Take a look at the thread, and if anyone can help with the dimensions I need I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Mike

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2015 at 4:23pm
Mike,
Looking good!  I like your solution for lifting the tub. I did it with an engine hoist and a strap. I stood the tub on it's end and worked on the floors standing up.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2015 at 8:20am
More progress - I got the tub off on Tuesday! This is a bit of a challenge as I have a single garage bay to work within for disassembly, restoration and reassembly! My solution was to punch through the ceiling board and attach chains around the roof trusses, then hoist the tub up with pulleys. So far it seems to have worked. The tub can still go up more, but at least I have access to the frame and transmission/transfer case now. My next job is to get these out.

I have some questions on my transmission crossmember, and some mods that appear to have been made. I'll post a question over on the tech section. Take a look and let me know if you can advise. All advice appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 17 Sep. 2015 at 9:10am
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2015 at 9:23pm
Wow looks great.
Nothing like hearing a engine run for the first time. 😃
Thanks for the pics.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2015 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

I am pretty pleased with the results for never having done any spray painting before! The results are not perfect, but good enough and as I get better I will improve along the way.

Smart to start the painting on something not seen as much.   From what I see they look perfect! Clap 

Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

By the way, I made a very detailed record of how the Warn hubs, front drums and brake backing plates, steering knuckles etc come apart. This was to make sure that I can put them all back together again properly! If anyone needs these step-by-step instructions with photos, PM me and i'll gladly pass them on.

I'd say you could write up some tech how to's, but it does sound like you don't have a lot of spare time LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2015 at 10:40am
Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I have done an update. No excuses, just been busy with my work which requires a lot of travel, and other projects such as a bathroom remodelling at home which took up some time. Fortunately that is now finished!

Happily the Jeep project has not stood completely still, and I have worked on it as and when I have found time.

I have taken out the front axle completely, stripped both hubs, and cleaned off the diff housing. All the diff internals have been stripped and cleaned. The inner pinion bearing is useable, the outer pinion bearing and both carrier gears were toast and will be replaced. Here is a pic of the races of the carrier bearings - apparently localised pitting and shear like that will have been caused by water standing in it for some time.

Lots of parts cleaning and getting ready for paint!

I have also sorted out something of a spray booth outside from an old tent frame and some plastic to contain the overspray. It works quite well!

And here is the end result of my efforts...

I am pretty pleased with the results for never having done any spray painting before! The results are not perfect, but good enough and as I get more practice I will improve along the way.

On the engine side of things, I have managed to install my new fuel pump, restore and fit an AC Delco glass bowl fuel filter (not Jeep original, I know, but at least period correct) and I got the engine started! This was a big moment for me!!! Smile

So I actually have all the parts to put the front axle together again. New inner seals are in, new diff bearings have arrived, diff is painted, I have new wheel brake cylinders, all new seals, knuckles are painted..... Oh, and I have restored the other Warn locking hub too.

So, some good progress has been made!

By the way, I made a very detailed record of how the Warn hubs, front drums and brake backing plates, steering knuckles etc come apart. This was to make sure that I can put them all back together again properly! If anyone needs these step-by-step instructions with photos, PM me and i'll gladly pass them on.

In the next few weeks I plan on finishing the rebuild of the front axle, while I wait for my rebuild kits for the T90 and T18 to arrive, and then I plan on getting stuck into those. Then probably towards the end of the year or even early next year it will be time for the back axle!

Thanks for following my thread, and for the advice I have received from members on this forum!

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 17 Sep. 2015 at 2:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2015 at 7:52am
Hi Speedy,

The system my paint guys use is Glasurit. Apparently it is a German system, and is used in the Mercedes Benz and BMW factories.

I have looked at it on-line, and you can search for your own colours and mix ratios in an on-line database. I don't know much about paint, but perhaps you can fiddle with it, or get your paint shop to take a look.

This is what it gives for Normandy Blue.

For me it is a good sign that the Glasurit database has a matching colour for Normandy Blue that sits under Willys for 1948. And the swatch that they painted up for me looks pretty good. From what I've read elsewhere, most paint shops just draw a blank when you give them the old paint codes. They seem to have all the other colours too in their database...

Good luck, let me know if you have success with your paint guys.

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 25 Feb. 2015 at 9:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>