Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 3:27am
And the funnel, too!  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 11:11am
Well, it's been Feb since I last posted. And this is mostly why:

Our first child, Julia! Born in April. So life has been a little hectic lately. Finding jeep time has been a challenge, but I have managed to get away for a few hours here and there. I have a wonderful wife! Smile

So in summary... I've got the new engine all buttoned up and installed in the jeep.

I also finished up the fuel tank epoxy lining, end panel replacement and painting.

And finally, the big news I had been waiting for, the body finally back from paint!

The dogs approve!

With the tub back in new colours, I could start the really fun part - reassembly of the entire jeep... I got to this point this past weekend, including finishing up the wiring.

All wiring is completed, headlights work, indicators work etc etc. So that was a big step forward. I was also pretty pleased with the glass in the windshield. I know lots of people have had trouble installing this at home, and I was doubtful if I would get it right. I was expecting lots of problems. I got some 1/4" safety glass cut, used the rubber seal from Walcks, lubed everything up pretty good and it slid right in! I actually had to do it twice - the glass was too tall by about 1/8", so I removed it, got it trimmed, and reinstalled it. A big relief when it was back in without any breakage. 

SO, this past weekend I got the chance to plumb in the fuel tank and fire up the new engine for the very first time. I was a little nervous - you know, brand new build and all. Well, brand new engine, never run, cold start - and it started on the first bump of the starter!!! I actually got a bit of a fright and the starter over-ran, but what a feeling! Everything works, nothing blew up and no horrible noises It is quiet and very smooth! It smoked a bit on startup, and then quit smoking after about 5 mins. Success!

I had to shut it down after about 10 mins because the oil filter housing gasket blew out. What a mess! Oil all over my brand new engine, the new paint, the garage floor Ouch Well, I got it cleaned up, and when I opened up the filter housing I found the tiny hole in the centre tube was blocked with some crud, and the pressure obviously built up until the gasket blew. Or, the hole got blocked just before the gasket blew, i'll never know. Pressure had been reading about 45psi on the gauge previously, I don't know exactly what it was when the gasket blew. 

My bigger problem is that my fuel tank repairs haven't worked. Cry  fuel is leaking out of the seams on the repair panel I put in. So I drained the tank and got it out to save having fuel all over the drivers floor pan. I think I'm going to call it quits on this tank and just order a new one. I've tried really really hard to save it, and it is still not playing along. So that will probably end up in another 2 month delay Unhappy

So, in all, some good progress since Feb. Not quite there yet, but MAN I'M GETTING CLOSE!

Thanks for checking in.

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 11:36am
The Jeep looking good Mike and congrats on the new bornClap
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 2:57pm
Mike, congrats on your newborn she's a beauty! And I've gotta say your progress on the 2A in one weekend is impressive. Everything's looking great in Pietermaritzburg!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 4:17pm
Now your hands are full of enjoyment. Looks like life is going well. I'm happy for you.

Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 6:30pm
I sent Ron a mail asking about his fuel tanks, he says they are too big to ship. These are the frustrations we have to deal with on the other side of the world.....
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 7:18pm
Would any of the sealers  like POR or Bill Hirsh work in your tank?  
Mike in AZ
Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 11:42am
Congratulations Mike! What an exciting time! Clap
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 8:01am
So I have some more progress to report. 

About 3 weeks ago I stripped out the leaking fuel tank and was able to remove and clean the panel that was leaking at the seams. I took it to Silverton Radiators who silver soldered the panel back in for me and pressure tested the tank. No more leaks! Who hoo! In hindsight it is what I should have done all along. No need now to import a new tank from the States!

Since then I have been driving it locally to get some miles on the engine and to debug small things here and there. I drove it to my brother in law the other weekend, he's about 3 km from my house. His kids and their friends were super stoked about the jeep! I spent about an hour driving them around the garden in low range. They loved it! A whole bunch climbed in later when it was parked and ate their lunch in it. Just couldn't get enough of it. 

I came out later and they had decided that it was dirty, had found a bucket and were all busy wiping it down with rags they found somewhere. LOL

Yup folks, this is dead of winter for us right now. Big smile

Here I am with my wife and Julia, now 4 months old...

Since then I have been working on some of the small details.

Last weekend I bent and installed a vacuum line for the vacuum wiper. It's now all connected and works great! Also installed the drivers side mirror. 

I got the spare bracket mounted which means the spare is now also on.

Still have to get the passengers side step on, I hope to do this this coming weekend.

All the little bits and pieces are coming together now. I'm within a week or two of starting the paperwork and getting this thing road legal.

Thanks for checking in. 

Mike

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 11:57am
Jeeps always look better with kids on 'em LOL  

(looks great without 'm, too!... Nice job Wink )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Roadmap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 12:31pm
Great looking Jeep.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 1:45pm
WOW! So cool!!!! Thumbs UpGreat pictures, give the kids a sponge and a bucket of water and they are happy.... Just don't give them the hose, or you will be wet too! LOLThe color combination is my favorite, love it!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 4:48pm
Mike,
From the first time you joined the 2a page I have been very impressed with your attention to detail, and especially your patience. Being on the other end of the earth has added huge challenges and complications for you. That you have made it through and built that beautiful Jeep to completion (are they ever really complete?) is a wonderful achievement that you can take great pride in.
Also, thanks for sharing the knowledge that you have gained along your journey with us.
Well done sir!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 5:26pm
Great family scene with the kids. Glad to see the kids finishing the restoration, they are on top of it. GREAT JOB.
Phil
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 4:11am
Well, it looks as though little Julia has grown a lot in 4 months.  She looked so tiny in the earlier pic you posted. 

The Jeep looks fantastic, too!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 4:37am
Awesome job!!
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 7:41pm
My wife promised me that when the jeep was finally finished she would get a pro photographer to take a few pictures. As Stan says earlier, is a Jeep ever really finished?

Anyway, that day was this past Saturday. It turned into more of a family shoot, but I persuaded the photographer to take a few shots of the jeep anyway... The light was getting low so the normandy blue looks black in a lot of the pics, but I thought I would still share a few anyway. And look at how Julia has grown too!

Enjoy...

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 8:55pm
A really nice looking rig! and family, too!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>