Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting idle rpm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hutchison101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting idle rpm?
    Posted: 11 Apr. 2015 at 5:33pm
I'm always thinking my idle is too fast or too slow. I read it's supposed to be between 600-900 rpm? How do I set it?
I know where the idle screw adjustment is but how do I know it's at a certain rpm.

Thanks.
Ne Desit Virtus
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2015 at 5:57pm
Do you own or have access to a Dwell/tachometer and a Vacuum Gauge? Without these tools whatever you do is just a WAG. With these tools and the information found at this link -
and provided all is well with the rest of the motor, you should be humming right along very soon.
hutchison101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hutchison101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2015 at 7:20pm
No I don't but I can ask around. Thanks.
Ne Desit Virtus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hutchison101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2015 at 7:25pm
I just noticed the heading of the article say without a timing light. Could I just use a timing light?
Ne Desit Virtus
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2015 at 7:28pm
If your timing is close, the procedure will bring it in much better and you won't be bending over, hanging upside down to see the marks on the flywheel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hutchison101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2015 at 9:12pm
Gotcha. Thanks again.
Ne Desit Virtus
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2015 at 10:19pm
A basic tune up tool kit should include

An inductive timing light
A Dwell Meter TACH combo
A set of feller gauges .001 to .040
A spark Plug gap tool that covers .020 to .060

A VACUUM GAUGE and the necessary tubing and tee fitting to plug into a manifold vacuum port

A SHOP MANUAL for the vehicle you are messing with.

Beyond that for a Willys a pair of 1/2" open end wrenches (for the valves) one can also be used for the distributor hold down

A Spark Plug Socket to match the size of the spark plug being used

A little tube of anti seize compound for the plug threads not only protects the treads but will actually help seal the threads.

Advanced kits should have a screw in compression gauge
A VOLT OHM AMP meter is also nice for any electrical issues.

Almost any pawn shop will have used versions of the timing light and Dwell/tach pretty cheap.

With the above tools and properly following the manual you should be able to get your Willys into as perfect of tune as its physically possible in a couple hours (depending on having to mess with the valves) And less then a 1/2 hour if just messing with ignition tuning once you know what your doing.

When I was a kid and just starting to drive and just coming out of the tearing the mini bike apart every other week my dad would have me run through the tune up on the Willys about once every two weeks. By the end of that first summer not only was the little 134 L purring like a fat kitty but I knew all the basic's of auto mechanics and how to properly tune an engine for the best performance.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2015 at 4:25am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

A basic tune up tool kit should include

An inductive timing light
A Dwell Meter TACH combo
A set of feller gauges .001 to .040
A spark Plug gap tool that covers .020 to .060

A VACUUM GAUGE and the necessary tubing and tee fitting to plug into a manifold vacuum port

A SHOP MANUAL for the vehicle you are messing with.

Beyond that for a Willys a pair of 1/2" open end wrenches (for the valves) one can also be used for the distributor hold down

A Spark Plug Socket to match the size of the spark plug being used

A little tube of anti seize compound for the plug threads not only protects the treads but will actually help seal the threads.

Advanced kits should have a screw in compression gauge
A VOLT OHM AMP meter is also nice for any electrical issues.

Almost any pawn shop will have used versions of the timing light and Dwell/tach pretty cheap.

With the above tools and properly following the manual you should be able to get your Willys into as perfect of tune as its physically possible in a couple hours (depending on having to mess with the valves) And less then a 1/2 hour if just messing with ignition tuning once you know what your doing.

When I was a kid and just starting to drive and just coming out of the tearing the mini bike apart every other week my dad would have me run through the tune up on the Willys about once every two weeks. By the end of that first summer not only was the little 134 L purring like a fat kitty but I knew all the basic's of auto mechanics and how to properly tune an engine for the best performance.

Boy does that ever bring back memories Smile.  I used to love to watch my Dad tune his (our) '47 CJ2A L-head with a vacuum gauge, timing light and his left ear.  The right ear wasn't so good as it was the ear he used while on the phone at work all day ( LOL  ).
When he finished, that little baby would purrrrrrrr and had smooth power everywhere!!!  Sure am glad he took the time to teach me how to work on the Jeep.  I never learned the ear thing quite as well as him, but I do ok.      
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply