Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear cj2a seat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear cj2a seat
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 5:42am
I have finally acquired a really nice condition rear seat for my cj2a and it had been re upholstered sometime recently so I just painted it to match my jeep and ordered the spring loaded clips for the rear seat to hold back legs in the floor

question is how does it stay clipped into the floor clips? does it just snap in and that's it? or is there some kind of cotter pin or clevis pin or something that keeps it in?  seat legs have a small hole drilled in them that would be under the floor. seems weird there is a hole unless it serves a purpose

also I bought seat belts to be installed in the rear but now im wondering if I should install them or not. I already have matching ones in the front but with the wheel wells in the back to keep you from sliding sideways do rear seat belts help or matter? whats your opinions for back seat belts people?
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 9:43am
Seatbelts ... now that's a whole can of worms Confused

If you are anchoring the belts on the floor directly behind the seat, they will be next to useless, but if you are anchoring them up to a roll bar that will be better. 
I'm sure that someone who has done this will chip in, but personally I would prefer to be without in an original type restoration.

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 2:27pm
The rear seat that I have doesn't have any holes in the pins on the bottom of the leg.
The spring tension of the clip holds them in place.

WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 4:12pm
This is a picture of the hole in my rear seat legs. they are fairly large for their placement 3/16? didnt measure

maybe yours has one and its just plugged solid  with dirt?

or maybe mine is added by previous owner or mine is a later seat where they started using a clip for safety?

I really have no idea its all just theory

My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 4:14pm
even if it turns out to be not what its made for, just to give me more peace of mind that seats not gonna bounce out of its hole I might still use the hole for a hitch pin like this one

My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by WorkInProgress WorkInProgress wrote:

maybe yours has one and its just plugged solid  with dirt?

I think you might be right.  The center where the hole would be looks to be slightly different.  Maybe it was welded at some point in the past. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 7:45pm
I just went to install the rear seat and it doesn't seem to fit because my aluminum artic top that's made for a m38.

Seems like the recline of the seat backrest wants to eexit over the back of the tailgate.

Does anyone have a m38 aluminum top with cj2a seat installed? I am starting to wonder if I can't use my seat with any hardtop for my 48 cj2a
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 7:47pm

My jeep so there's no question what I'm working with
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 7:52pm

My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 9:04pm
You will have to use a later CJ2A rear seat to clear the back of the top. The back of the the earlier seats sets back farther than the later ones.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 9:41pm
make a spacer that goes under the clips but over the pockets so it tilts the seat forward.  Then use what you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 10:32pm
I like the spacer idea but I'm unsure of how your saying to do it.

I believe the clips SHOULD go under the floor. But if I used the clips above the floor and upside down and then put it so it's seat then upside down clip then spacer then floor and probably some kind of fender washers or something below the floor to give better strength holding that in the floor or a large flat thick sheet metal similar in size to the clip for under the floor to distribute the stress onto more than just the bolt heads maybe that will work
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 11:03pm
For safety, I would suggest you install the seat belts.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Jim Kilbourne View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Kilbourne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2015 at 2:41am

the hard top inner most mounting edges sit inside the perimeter of the tub side walls and even more inside away from the tailgate...

the tailgate rolled top sits outside the edges of the body tub...and the canvas top goes outside of that..

that's why the seat hits the hard top but fits inside a canvas top...

Jim Kilbourne
1945 Willys, CJ2A-10142
1946 Willys, CJ2A-26592(for sale)
1946 Willys, CJ2A-33725

projectrequest@motorhousellc.com
http://motorhousellc.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2015 at 3:12am
I just found a picture describing the differences between willys seats and apparently the one I have that I'm having trouble fitting with my top is listed as 1945 and 1946 only "early" seat that they say is VERY RARE I traded a 60 dollar rubicon seat for it and it's almost mint condition

My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Jim Kilbourne View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Kilbourne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2015 at 3:44am
the issue is the hard top frame....not the seat frame...

the hard top frame robs about 1.25 inches in clearance to the tailgate...

just enough to let the seat fall back to the floor
Jim Kilbourne
1945 Willys, CJ2A-10142
1946 Willys, CJ2A-26592(for sale)
1946 Willys, CJ2A-33725

projectrequest@motorhousellc.com
http://motorhousellc.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2015 at 4:09am
As 52 m38 had suggested I think I will just make a spacer and use this seat since it is a correct seat in really good shape.
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2015 at 3:05pm
Rule of thumb for seat belts in flatfenders:

If open top and no rollbar - no belts. Your chances of survival increase if you are thrown out rather than crushed in place. The only thing higher than you is the windshield and in a rollover it will fold like tinsel leaving you to function as the rollbar.

Seatbelts are more useful with a rollbar and/or hardtop.

If someone has a true military jeep and wants to maintain a stock look but still have some safety they should consider installing a machine gun mount between, and just aft, of the front seats. It will function as a limited rollbar. There was a fellow on the Gee a few years ago who's tie rod snapped going downhill. He said his belly against the steering wheel kept him from getting thrown out and credits the machine gun mount with saving his life as the jeep rolled over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>