Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oil Bath Air Filter conversion to Dry Air Filter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Bath Air Filter conversion to Dry Air Filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brubakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Bath Air Filter conversion to Dry Air Filter
    Posted: 15 May 2015 at 2:09pm
I was reading about the oil bath to air filter conversion some have done to their war time jeeps and wondered if anyone had done it and have part numbers that would work with the larger later year type oil bath canisters.

sources:
Neil R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 3:44pm
I just did it with mine and it works just fine.
One thing I discovered that with the recommended rubber rings and a WIX filter (42036), you only need one ring, not two.
That's on a new repop air filter canister, maybe the originals are taller.

brubakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brubakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Neil R Neil R wrote:

I just did it with mine and it works just fine.
One thing I discovered that with the recommended rubber rings and a WIX filter (42036), you only need one ring, not two.
That's on a new repop air filter canister, maybe the originals are taller.

cool.  I wasn't sure if the rubber rings needed to be a different size.
'42 GPW ('51 CJ3A drivetrain) | '00 Wrangler | '08 Grand Cherokee | '10 Patriot
Bret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 7:32pm
In my experience I would advise not to. I liked the idea and converted mine. About a year later I thought I'd checked the filter and the photo shows what happened to mine. The pristine oil bath filter had become a rusty mess. It took a long time to clean it back up and then I put it back like it was. Not sure why it happened. My jeep is stored either in an unheated garage or out under a tarp. I drive it about 1000 miles a year, Spring-Fall. No top so I don't drive it in the rain & I don't ford streams.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 8:11pm
Just my opinion, but I think that the oil bath filter works as well, or better, than a dry filter. Plus, it does not need to be replaced ($$$)… just cleaned occasionally. It will keep moving and filtering air even when it's pretty dirty.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Toyvo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toyvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 2:38am
Oil bath is the best filter you can have, no others compare. You can't get dirt past the oil AIN"T GOING TO HAPPEN! I see guy's change their filter systems on all types of vehicles because some one wrote a note about it on some obscure website. I really love those K&N idiots. Almost every engine I have seen in the shop that has begun to smoke is proudly wearing a K&N air filter. I call them "KILL MY N-GIN" filters. The real problem is the owner now has to service the filter with the cleaner and sticky stuff--- and HE DON"T. Just my opinion I could be WR- WRO- WRON- MISTAKEN!
Neil R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:13am
I'm content with a paper filter, in all the cars I've had with the crappy oil bath filter it seems they are only good for stopping gravel and low flying birds. 
Most of my experience was with the big "flying saucer" shaped ones I had on my Packard and some other GM cars.
When I found bugs in the carburetor I figured there had to be a better way.
The "Air Maze" for a Zenith carb on a Model A is garbage too.
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:29am
Like all things in life, air filtration is a balance. Oil bath systems provide the best filtration at the expense of reduced airflow. Paper media provides better airflow at the expense of some filtration.

Donaldson has a lot of great literature regarding the filter effectiveness and airflow.

I would guess that the above air cleaner turned into a rusty mess because the innards are not painted steel, and throughout it's operation it ingested a lot of moisture.
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
 Post Reply Post Reply