Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 44 Axle info?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dana 44 Axle info?
    Posted: 27 June 2015 at 12:04am
I have a line on an offset Dana 44 from a 55 CJ5.  Will this swap in place of the Dana 41 that i have in there now?  Or do I need ot look for the 70's model CJ5 unit?

Thanks

Mike
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 12:13am
Yes it will work. (check gear ratio)
All the 44's were offset in CJs until 1972.
Mike. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 6:24am
Can it be upgraded to the later model, higher spline count, one piece axles? Or will I be stuck withy e two price units?
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 2:52pm
Make sure the gear ratio matches what's in there now. If not you'll have to swap both the front and back diffs or you can't use 4WD.

Larry
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 3:32pm
Yes you should be able to swap to a 30 spline flanged axle setup. But it won't be cheap. You will need new spider gears, The after market axle shafts unless you can find some of the rare 70-711/2 shafts then new seals and outer bearings. If your gears don't match then add a bunch more for an install bearing kit the new gears and then the labor to set it up (not really a DIY learn on the project kind of project)

I am building a Rear Dana 44 from a housing and 30 spline axles I bought for $140.00 local. And if you take the cost of the E-Locker out I plan to install. Then I'm looking at nearly $1100.00 over the cost of the housing axles. A front Axle could be more.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:24pm
Alternatively, you could consider conversion to a full-floating rear axle - with upgraded chrome moly axles it will be stronger than a 44 with a one-piece flanged axle and the conversion would be the same cost or cheaper, if you use drive plates instead of locking hubs.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 6:24pm
Flanged 1 piece 30 spline axles by themselves will not fit into a tapered axle housing, totally different.
You would have to find a 70-71 offset flanged axle assembly.
Many have tried, and many have failed after some serious $$ invested.
There is some info on ecj5.net about a company that did make the shafts at one time.
Someone else over there is trying it again......Dutchman seems to be the latest axle maker of choice.
I know Summer Bros failed miserably for a member over there.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 8:01pm
5.38 was the only CJ axle ratio available until November of 1962 when 4.27 became the standard and 5.38 remained as an option.
!955 axles will have 19 spline count. The spline count prior to 1954-1/2 was 10 spline only.
The development of Powr Lok co-insided with the involute (19) spline shafts.
30 spline was not used by Jeep prior to September of 1969.
Jeep version of the 30 spline was first installed on the on early Renegades.
Although 30 spline axle D44 rear shafts were used by IH and GM in the early 1960's.

Unless your running a strong V-6 engine you should consider 30 spline D44 axle shafts as overkill.
4 cylinder engines will be very hard pressed to break the post 1954-1/4 involute (19 spline) tapered type shafts.
Time has proven that a sensibly driven Jeep with standard size tires the 19 spline shafts can readily stand up to a V-6 power.

What size engine and tires do you intend ?
Lastly consider weather or not you plan on a traction type of differential.

Edited by oldtime - 27 June 2015 at 9:47pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

5.38 was the only axle ratio available until November of 1962 when 4.27 became the standard and 5.38 remained as an option.

Assuming it hasn't been changed out in the last 60 years. Never assume, better safe than sorry and properly check the ratios before swapping any differentials. Mismatched differentials will make a transfer case make a very loud noise, but only once.
Mike. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 2:22am
I've got a turbo diesel kubota engine I'm runnning in it.

My plan was to run a Detroit tru trap and regear down to 4.88.

What's involved in switching to the full float axle? And is it worth going to over a flanged version?

Thank you all so much for the help.

Mike
Mike. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 3:22am
For some reason I can't edit my terribly misspelled phone posts.

I saw Herm's full float kit.  Would that put me on the right track with my plan?
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 6:19pm
I expect that one of Herm's (or other similar) kits would provide many years of bullet proof service. I have been running a Warn FF kit in the rear of my D41 for many years with no problems. 
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 8:42pm

Jeep offset flanged D44's  have 30 spline side gears.

The one piece flanged shafts are certainly strong enough for your needs. 
But these axles are relatively few and expensive.
These offset flanged D44's have a larger diameter axle tube than the tapered D44's.
The larger tubes will require larger clips (U bolts) and different spring plates.
The offset flanged axles are an excellent match to the D30 front axle.

If you plan to retain a D27 or D25 front assembly then I suggest you modify a tapered D44 rear (1954-1/2  to 1970) to become a full floater.
 Herms full float conversion shafts can be had to fit either 19 or 30 spline side gears.
I see no advantage to the 30 spline full float shaft over the 19 spline.
Both versions of his shafts are all necked down to the same decreased diameter where they enter into the spindle.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Mike. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 2:26am
Excellent, thank you for the info. 

I have a narrow track Dana 30 ready to go in in conjunction with the D44 rear.
Mike. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 2:34am
Excellent, thank you for the info. 

I have a narrow track Dana 30 ready to go in in conjunction with the D44 rear.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 3:28pm
Yes...The D30 front axle is certainly the ideal match for a flanged D44 rear.
Note that the D30 axle tubes are also larger than the D25/D27 axle tubes.
Again larger front clips and front spring plates will be needed to fit.
The D30 front spring plates will need to be custom made to fit early (pre 1972) CJ's.
When Jeep CJ installed D30's (1972 and later) the shocks mounted at the rear of the spring plate.

The Detroit True Trac is a gear drive design, limited slip differential.
Concerning durability, I would consider it inferior to the Powr Lok limited slip.

Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply