Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Locking Hubs or No Locking Hubs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpatowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Locking Hubs or No Locking Hubs?
    Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 5:34am
I am currently rebuilding a 1947 Willys CJ 2a, which I am trying to restore faithfully to original condition. I hope to enter my jeep in shows when I am finished. I also want to use it for joyriding around town. It will rarely see off-road use.

I am debating if I should install locking hubs on the front axle of the jeep. Locking hubs will reduce wear on the front end, but will destroy some of the jeep's original authenticity. 

If I don't install hubs, am I taking a big risk of front-end problems? What problems might I experience if I don't install hubs? What do you all think? If you were restoring a jeep to original condition to enter in shows and joyride around town, would you install locking hubs?

Thanks!
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 5:53am
I often thought that way when I first got my Jeep 30 years ago.
It was equiped with Warn hubs - just beat to crap ! So...I wanted to improve the visual aspect and when I found some Selectro hubs in good nick I swithched 'em.   It's always been my focus to somehow restore and get to "year 0".
I don't hink that anyone could fault you for equiping your Jeep with period correct accessories. There are really updated examples of the old hubs I had - I might have a problem with those shiny bits of bling. The functionality of the hubs make the owning and running of the Jeeps an easy thing to handle. If you spend most of your time on pavement or gravel but not off - road...hubs are a good thing to have.
Even though i have the Selectros, I regret not buying some really well restored Dualmatics I spied in Hudson this year . I don't need them ....but I sure want 'em :-)
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 9:19am
I'm putting an old set of Dualmatics on my CJ, big clunky ugly looking things, they match the rest of itLOL

I think the Warn's etc are all better, but I like the Dualmatics are they were one of the earlier hubs available if I'm not mistaken??

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 9:23am
You could acquire a set of the original hubs & machine off the splines. When installed, the CJ would be in 2WD. Most of the time this "modified" set would be installed for your kind of driving. Just remember to run the Transfer-case in 4WD every now & then to lube the front axle & the  knuckles.

Keep your original ones in a box secured in the under seat tool box. These would be installed on the CJ when you want 4WD. Both sets would look original, since they are!

The Jeep police would never know that you had modified the 2WD set, unless they pulled them off the Jeep to look for this.

I bet that a member here has a set that they are not using. Post in the parts wanted area that you are looking for a set.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 10:53am
There is a set of early hubs on the listings/auction thread.  They would be stealth to most people.  They appear to be power-lock-hubs.

Edited by 52 M38 - 12 Aug. 2015 at 10:55am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 11:34am
Hi Troy,

I have done mileage tests with both of my jeeps to see if there is a mileage increase using lock-out hubs. There isn't.
If you do a search on this forum and other forums you will find that wear and breakage of the front differentials is practically non existent and when it does occur it is when the vehicle is being used in 4wd anyway.
Modern vehicles don't even have lockouts anymore.

If you just put an original set of drive flanges on, your problem will be solved in the most economic way.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 11:42am
What you want to do with your Jeep was basically my plan. I left the original hubs on. Its been about 15 years since and probably not too many miles, maybe 15,000 or so and have never had a problem with the front axle. It has seen some mild off roading too.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 12:17pm
I used to have a set of selectros on mine but went back to stock drive flanges for the stock look. I joy ride all the time.
You will not have any problems, save your money for another part in your restoration.
Brett
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 12:18pm
Thanks Bill. I should post GW's resume as well.

Over 100k miles. I have put on 37k of those miles
5 FCTs including Tincup twice
1 Black Hills run
1 NH trail ride

No problems whatsoever with front axle. Once I did a mileage test. I recorded my mileage over 5 tanks of gas. Then I removed my flanges and ran the same route to and from work over 5 tanks of gas. My mileage was the same.

BAM BAM has front lockouts only because my front drive shaft angle is incorrect so at hi speed (over 60) I get some drive shaft vibration. I have done the same mileage test with him and there is no difference locked in or out.   A stock 2A won't have these driveshaft alignment issues. I will confess that twice I have accidentally left GW in 4wd on pavement, drove a distance, and did not realize it till I noticed the lever was in the wrong position :S

Edited by jpet - 12 Aug. 2015 at 12:22pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rpatowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpatowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2015 at 10:53pm
Thanks for all the replies!

Based on what you've all said, I think I will not install locking hubs on my jeep.

However, I have one more question: What are your opinions of "Cutlas" hubs? I see them for sale in Ebay and they are reasonable in price.

Thanks!
Roy
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2015 at 10:01pm
I ran Cutlas hubs for a while and switched back to the drive flanges. Most of my driving is on trails, at least 2000 miles each year out West. I don't like to get out and lock the hubs, I like to use 4 whl when I need in NOW. I too have seen no difference in gas mileage or wear and tear. As long as you keep the front steering knuckle filled with thick oil it will out last you.  
Life is only as good as you make it.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2015 at 2:35am
I have a set of Cutlas hubs on my MB.  I like them - partly because they are a little harder to spot at 10 feet than Dualmatics or Warns are.  They seem reliable, knock on wood.
Why do I run hubs?
- So I can run in 4 wheel drive, low range on pavement for parades without drivetrain windup issues.  (Removing the transfer case interlock pin would do the same thing.)
- Less vibration at speed

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2015 at 5:44pm
I have Dualamatic hubs on my '46 CJ2A.  I solved the concern of having to put the hubs in and out by following my late Dad's advice and engage the hubs when I first get to my off-road destination then I don't have to worry about it.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 10:11pm
The various 4x4 vehicle makers including Jeep, IH, Toyota, Ford, etc., for many years fitted manual locking hubs as standard equipment because their engineers had data showing the hubs offered some benefit--to the vehicle and to the customer. Thousands of owners since the 1950s have testified as to front locking hubs reducing driveline wear, reducing noise and yes, improving fuel efficiency if even by a slight amount. My dad found this to be true in the Fifties when he fitted Warn hubs to his 1947 2A, the same jeep I'm restoring today.
As of 2018 Ford still fits them as standard to F-250/350 4x4s. If the hubs had no benefit, the F-series engineering team would not spec locking hubs, period. To jpet's point about the industry in general no longer using manual hubs, that's because 4wd systems are now electronically controlled and (thankfully) far more capable and sophisticated than in 1945.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 12:46am
My 2008 Dodge Ram truck does not have lockout hubs of any kind. I wonder what those engineers were thinking..... here is some chatter:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7-liter-general-discussion/66578-front-hub-conversion-vs-mpg.html

.... half say they get better mileage, half say they don't.

The lockout hub debate comes up every so often on the forum and it always ends up in a non consensus. The ones who like them will testify to significant mileage increases, others will testify that there is no mileage increase. I must be honest, I've never read, on this or any other Willys forum, personal testimony about wear or damage in the front end because they were not running lockout hubs.... I have, however, read plenty of testimony from people who have had a bad day wheeling due to lockout hub failure. I'm sure someone has something to say about excessive front end wear, ... I just haven't read it. To me, this means if it does occur, it is rare. I could be wrong.

I hope I don't sound closed minded, I believe that lockout hubs can and do help with mileage, wear and tear, e.t.c. but in my experience, the benefits are immeasurable. If anyone else has been able to reap the benefits, that's awesome!

My comments are directed to help the original poster with his questions:
Originally posted by rpatowers rpatowers wrote:

I am currently rebuilding a 1947 Willys CJ 2a, which I am trying to restore faithfully to original condition. I hope to enter my jeep in shows when I am finished. I also want to use it for joyriding around town. It will rarely see off-road use.

I am debating if I should install locking hubs on the front axle of the jeep. Locking hubs will reduce wear on the front end, but will destroy some of the jeep's original authenticity.

If I don't install hubs, am I taking a big risk of front-end problems? What problems might I experience if I don't install hubs? What do you all think? If you were restoring a jeep to original condition to enter in shows and joyride around town, would you install locking hubs?

Thanks!

.... given the testimony and or inconsistency of that testimony, ..... are we really going to advise this guy to switch his drive flanges out in this application?

In regards to Willys jeeps, my stance has always been: If you prefer lockout hubs, and you see the benefits, or even if you just feel better having them, by all means, use them..... but if you are doing a correct restoration and you want to run drive flanges, but you are afraid you will do damage to the front end .... run drive flanges. Hopefully you will be as lucky as me. Can we agree on that?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 2:03am
Sitting on my hands
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 2:09am
No disagreement on any of this from me; I was just joining the hub conversation! And noting that at least one major OEM still believes there's benefit/value in fitting hubs to stock 4x4s. Would I fit Warn hubs on a full-house resto aiming for absolute factory correctness? No. 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 2:21am
How many miles a year are you going to put on the rig? even if it is five thousand miles a year, it isn't going to wear out the front end, always assuming that you maintain your rig as it should be. Most flatties aren't driven that much in a year. Most problems with the front end or any other part on the rig for that matter are the result of lack of maintenance, not wear.

Truth be known, even if you are showing the jeep, most people don't know that hub locks weren't OE anyway...unless you are among other jeepers, no one will know or care.

If it were me I'd run drive flanges unless it was a daily driver. Hub locks, if not properly maintained can be a PITA, especially in the winter if they freeze up and don't engage.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>