Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good ride - bad result

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good ride - bad result
    Posted: 09 Sep. 2015 at 4:41pm
I finally got my wife to go with me for a ride. We drove up to Inspiration Point, a really neat overlook near Willard Peak just north of Ogden Utah. It's 13 miles of dirt road to get there. Nothing really challenging but it does bounce  you around a bit. 

After we made it up (see pictures below) and back down, on the highway headed home at top speed, my oil pressure dropped some and I started to get what I think is a rod knock. It's really bumming  me out because I don't think I can get the engine out and fixed before the deer hunt next month. Which is one of my favorite times to have Grampa's Jeep in action. I love hauling everyone all over the mountain. Cry

It was a bit of a hazy day. The smoke from all the fires going on all over the west is keeping visibility down some these days. Here are the pictures:

Looking east.

Still looking east.

This is looking north, the valley that you can almost see through the haze is Cache Valley, where the town of Logan Utah, and home of Utah State University is located.

Looking south over the towns of North Ogden and Ogden. The main peak you see on the left of this picture is Mount Ogden. Just on the other side of Mount Ogden is Snow Basin ski resort where a bunch of Olympic events were held when the games were here in Utah.

This is another shot looking east. The road you see across the canyon is part of the road that we drove up.

This shot looking southwest has my wife in the foreground and through the haze you can sort of see Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake to the left and the smaller island to the right is Fremont Island.

If you are ever in the Ogden Utah area, this is a great little ride that any 4X4 can do. I even saw a Subaru wagon parked at the top. It's a little rough for a sedan, but once back in the 70's we made it up there in a Pinto. The road is has been torn up some since then though. There are great views all along the route from the top to the bottom.   
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2015 at 4:48pm
Pretty scenery Thumbs Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2015 at 5:11pm
Nice pics and thx 4 posting.  Sorry about your bad luck on the motor.  That was a replacement motor wasn't it?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2015 at 5:18pm
Great pics.  Maybe you could just change the bearing of the knocking rod to buy you some time to get through the hunting season.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Sorry about your bad luck on the motor.  That was a replacement motor wasn't it?

Yes, this is the motor we found in a shop on a stand that had been used for years in schools as a demo engine. It has been running smooth and strong with great oil pressure and steady temperature readings since I put it in. I really am surprised that this problem  has come up.  

I  haven't done any real trouble shooting or investigation since we got back from the ride. I've been a little busy with other stuff and also have been pouting a bit. Probably won't have any time to really look at it until next week. 

I was planning on pulling the transmission and transfer case out this winter to try and get some leaks stopped that have developed. (This will be the 4th time out for the transmission trying to stop leaks and such. I guess i'm a bit of a bad mechanic.)  I guess I'll just start early and pull the whole drive train out in one piece and then work on everything. 

I have another project going where my machinist neighbor is going to make me some dual wheel spacers. I'm getting the long studs from Joe DeYoung. Once they are all ready I was hoping to take Grampa's Jeep up to the sand dunes near St.Anthony Idaho to see if the dual wheels made any difference in the sand. I guess the test is going to have to wait till next year. 
Here's some rigs in the St. Anthony sand.

Edited by smfulle - 09 Sep. 2015 at 6:30pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2015 at 9:09pm
Awesome pics Stan... Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the engine troubles. At least pull the pan and see how bad it is. Maybe if your crank is still in reasonable shape you can get away with a partial in the chassis rebuild for the time being to get through deer season. Hoping for the best for you.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 12:08am
Stan, what size NDTs is Grampa's Jeep wearing--7.00 x 16's? They look great.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 4:43am
Thanks for the photos!   That haze is a good/average day in the east.  :)   

Good luck on the engine.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 6:32am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Stan, what size NDTs is Grampa's Jeep wearing--7.00 x 16's? They look great.

Yup 7.00 X 16 NTD's.  I bought them from Summit Racing

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 2:58pm
I have a little experience running a stock 2a in the dunes. I took the NDTs off and replaced them with 15" wheels that were 8" wide with car radials on them aired way down. I was surprised at where it would go set up like this. Not sure if the NDTs would have fared as well. Forget about climbing dunes like in your video clip. Wink
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 4:23pm
Low-pressure flotation tire technology hadn't arrived when the MB/GPW first entered combat, nor was it really available when the 2A debuted. Some early experiments used tires from small aircraft; don't know how successful they were. In WWII, the British LRDG (Long Range Desert Group) commandos who operated jeeps in the North African theater used NDTs on stock 6-in. wheels; the success of these vehicles is well documented:

Jeep SAS North Africa
The LRDG jeep shown here is clearly not in deep "sand dune" conditions but, as Otto notes, tackling such conditions in our vintage jeeps today are probably better tackled with 8-in. 15's.

The medium-duty trucks used by the LRDG were fitted with a different type of tire (or tyre, as the Brits say) that appears, in period photos, to be a fatter, semi-flotation type with a grippier tread. Note the tires on the LRDG Chevrolet (photo below) in sand, circa 1942--anybody know details about these tires?

I prefer the look of NDTs on a stock 60-hp 2A, and for most conditions except slick pavement, ice, snow (without chains) and sand, they perform pretty well, as JPet's recent Ouray-Telluride videos prove.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 7:49pm
Loved the pictures and really like the jeep!!!

Looks like they should in my opinion, well used but well cared for as well.

A nice looking paint job can be done but that kind of patina has to be earned..

Sorry about the rod knock, sounds like it could have happened at a better time. Angry

Mike

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 8:21pm
The Military experimented with many tire/wheel combinations for Sand Flotation. Bob W's research has some cool photos. There was a production option of 13" tires for USMC Jeeps that is rarely spoken of or seen.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

The Military experimented with many tire/wheel combinations for Sand Flotation. Bob W's research has some cool photos. There was a production option of 13" tires for USMC Jeeps that is rarely spoken of or seen.

Where would one go to look at some of Bob's research?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2015 at 9:53pm
I'll ask him when he plans to share it, or ask permission if I can.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2015 at 10:26pm
If your doing an in chassis fix pop the front cover off and take the oil squirter out if the hole is the larger original stock size and get it welded up and drill the recommended smaller size to increase oil flow to the front rod bearing.

FYI-read the thread by gunslinger in this post.

Edited by jeeper50 - 24 Sep. 2015 at 10:44pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2015 at 11:25pm
original hole size is .070, new smaller hole is .040 this is assuming your engine has a gear driven camshaft

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply