Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil pan and timing cover assembly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil pan and timing cover assembly
    Posted: 23 Sep. 2015 at 7:29pm
I have searched the treads and manuals, but I can't find a definitive way to assemble these two pieces so they seal up proper....

Timing cover assembled "loose" and then tighten the Oil Pan? Then tighten the cover?

Any tips or steps appreciated...
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2015 at 9:23pm
Also, I have found 10-14 foot lbs. on the pan, but no torque spec on the timing cover bolts>>
Thanks Jeff
Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2015 at 1:51am
Slide the crankshaft pulley on the crankshaft with the loose timing gear cover in place. The pulley and the seal in the TG cover will locate the cover. Secure cover in this location. Then attach oil pan. Might want to get 6 bolts slightly longer than the rest of the oil pan bolts since you also have to go through the pulley shield and spacer washers.

Manual says 9-14 lb-ft on the oil pan bolts. It doesn't mention torque spec for TG cover bolts. Older fellow told me to assemble oil pan and TG cover in position using gasket and sealant and only snug bolts until sealant sets so as to not force the sealant out, and then go back later and torque bolts to spec after sealant sets.

This rebuild guide says about 20 lb-ft on the TG cover. http://flatfenderfever.com/id8.html

Edited by WillyBill - 25 Sep. 2015 at 2:06am
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2015 at 3:16am
I used 5/16-18 x 5/8 bolts except where the pulley shield goes. I used 3/4 inch bolts there.

I know it is not spec on a '47, but I used a single groove cast pulley instead of a double groove stamped pulley. I had a difficult time getting the original stamped pulley off and decided it would be easier to use a puller on the cast pulley.
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2015 at 5:08am
Thanks for the advice WillyBill.    The trick with lining up the front cover using the pulley seal was worth all the typing!
Cover and oil pan all snugged up!
Jeff
Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2015 at 6:54pm
Last week, I had my timing cover and pan off on a similar engine.
I had a heck of a time removing a recently attached timing cover with ultra copper RTV and a new paper gasket on nice clean steel. I thought I would see what happens with just RTV sealant and no paper/cork gaskets.

I cleaned everything as best I could with a razor blade and brake-cleaner to try to remove all of the oil.
I RTV'd the timing cover, bolted it on with the crank pulley in place to help center it in the felt seal. Then I RTV'd the entire oil pan lip and bolted it home in < 15 minutes. I waited 12 hours to add oil.
I'll be darned. The timing cover and oil pan do not leak despite replacing the paper/cork seals with gooey modern technology alone.

If you are out of time and out of gaskets, give it shot next time. it just might work as well as or better than stock paper/cork.

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply