Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single Taillight Mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single Taillight Mounting
    Posted: 19 Oct. 2015 at 10:33pm
I had dual taillights on my Jeep when I bought it, but believe it originally had a single taillight.  I replaced the sheet metal and was wondering where the taillight and reflectors should be positioned.  If anyone has the info please send me the measurements from the top, bottom, and sides.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2015 at 12:05am
Keep in mind, some states require 2 tail lights to be street legal - even if it only came with one. You may want to check with your DMV or Highway Patrol if a concern.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2015 at 12:40am
And, the right tail lamp was an option.
BOULDER 48 2A
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2015 at 7:14pm
John,
I will try to get you the measurements this evening.
Bill
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2015 at 8:20pm
Thanks for your help.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2015 at 3:15am

Let me know if you need more info.

Bill

Edited by WillyBill - 21 Oct. 2015 at 3:40am
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2015 at 2:59pm
Thanks for the useful info. 
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2015 at 7:43pm
WillyBill, Bill your drawings are quite impressive, I assume you have had some drafting training. I would say that you went above and beyond the call of duty to answer fellow members question, Thank You!
gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2015 at 9:22pm
The problem is I Don't think any one but Willy's mounted their Tail Lights with Vertical holes.
Even the re-pop lights mount With horizontal hols .   We know they cant do any thing right.
Any one know other let me know.
Jerry
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2015 at 9:38pm
Did they make them vertical so the threaded bolts would miss the body mounting bracket behind it?!!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2015 at 1:05am
Nice drawing and a great reference!!! CJ-2A tail lights did have vertical mounting bolts. Somewhere right around the introduction of the CJ-3A the bolts changed to horizontal, maybe the very last CJ2As had horizontal holes, maybe not. Due to the horizontal holes and the body mount, the taillight location was relocated inboard slightly.
KC-10ENG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC-10ENG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2015 at 3:59am
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/wire-harness-routing_topic24079.html

This thread might help. Shows how to mount the right tail light.
1948 CJ2A
Retired USAF
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2015 at 4:58am
Gentlemen, Thank you for the kind comments. I have gleaned a lot of information from the members of this forum and feel that I should contribute when I can.

46Willard, Yes, when I was in college they still taught drafting with pencil and paper, and occasionally pen and ink!

JohnB, If you look through that rusted out hole beside the tail light holes you can see the bracket that secures the tub to the rear crossmember. The tail light holes are vertical so as to miss that bracket.

When I brought that yellow CJ2A home, I thought that reflector had been haphazardly stuck on there. Further investigation revealed that the mounting holes were placed so as to miss the folded edge of the seam and the tub-to-rear crossmember bracket.

Bill
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
rpatowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpatowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2016 at 8:36am
I am in the process of modifying a reflector to work as a tail light and blinker. I plan to replace the reflector part (I will keep the aluminum bezel) with a Naco lens identical to the lens on the original Naco left tail light. This way my 1947 CJ 2a will appear original but will have two tail lights and blinkers.

When I get done I will take some pictures and write it up on this web page.
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2016 at 2:39pm
That is an excellent idea, looking forward to see how it turns out.
Jim Halbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 12:00am
Thanks for this drawing...exactly what I needed as well, as my back sheet metal was reworked leaving no reference holes. Really appreciate you taking the time to provide this!
Jim Halbert
Jim
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 2:46pm
Glad I could help.
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 4:03pm
the orig. tail light had vertical bolts which you cant find unless some replacement orig style s make them now
mogger7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>