Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 41 axle shaft and wheel bearing removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dana 41 axle shaft and wheel bearing removal
    Posted: 20 Oct. 2015 at 2:07pm
Sorry for the dumb question, but I have turned up nothing on a search of the site. I would rather ask than break something...

How do you remove the rear axle shafts from a Dana 41? I have taken off everything so far including the drum and brake backing plate. The axle shaft is sticking out the axle and I can see the bearing cone and cup in the axle. Seems to me the only thing holding the axle shaft in place is the bearing. How do you remove this bearing?

The only thing I can think of is to put the axle shaft nut back on and pull on that, and the shaft and bearing might come out together?

Thanks,

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2015 at 8:18pm
You are right, the axle shaft and bearing come out together. I put the hub and axle nut loosely back on then used the hub as a slide hammer to pull the shaft out. It works great as long as the bearing is not rusted in.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2015 at 4:07am
I had an old axle shaft nut that I welded to a nut that fits on the end of one those slide hammers you can borrow from the auto parts store.  Thread the axle nut on several threads and then screw the puller into the other nut and bang away.  Works well.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2015 at 3:14am
Here is a thread that may help

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/rear-axle-shaft-removal_topic32290.html

JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2015 at 8:18am
Thanks Tom, there are some useful ideas on that thread. Don't know how I missed it in my original search!

I succeeded this weekend getting mine off by using a very simple concept. After taking off the brake backing plate and shims I loosely replaced the hub and nut on the end of the axle shaft. I then installed two bolts (one either side) between the hub and the axle housing flange, with the nut and a washer between the two. Unscrewing the nut serves to widen the gap, which pushes the hub/nut out, taking the shaft and bearing with it. It is nice and slow so very controlled, no surprise "let go's", no welding required, and no slide hammer needed.

The blocks of wood were simply to take up the space, as I didn't have long enough bolts. But not strictly necessary if you have long enough bolts!

Mike
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2015 at 4:03pm
Clap  Innovative thinking.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2015 at 12:10am
Brilliant.  Anyone need a slidehammer nut?
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 5:04am
Jeep Saffer, just reading thru these forums for ideas on pulling my rear axles and came across your brilliant post.  Just wanted to say thank you for your idea and lovely pic.  Archimedes would be proud!

Mark 

Edited by mkoloc - 31 Dec. 2017 at 5:10am
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 5:06pm
Hi Mark, thanks for the kind words. I have received tons of help here on the page, so where i can help and give back through a post, i try to do so. 

Good luck with your build! 

Mike
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Thanks Tom, there are some useful ideas on that thread. Don't know how I missed it in my original search!

I succeeded this weekend getting mine off by using a very simple concept. After taking off the brake backing plate and shims I loosely replaced the hub and nut on the end of the axle shaft. I then installed two bolts (one either side) between the hub and the axle housing flange, with the nut and a washer between the two. Unscrewing the nut serves to widen the gap, which pushes the hub/nut out, taking the shaft and bearing with it. It is nice and slow so very controlled, no surprise "let go's", no welding required, and no slide hammer needed.

Best tip ever.  I whacked on that thing for what seemed like hours with my slide hammer to no avail.
 This setup had the axle out in no time with no swearing, no expensive special tools, & no damage.
 Smooth & controlled.  NICE.

Edited by dasvis - 16 Apr. 2021 at 2:27pm
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 3:41pm
That is the beauty of this forum. It can continue to help members long after the original post was made. 

So glad that you were able to benefit from my original post from >5 years ago!

Beer

Mike

Adventure Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 11:12am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

The blocks of wood were simply to take up the space, as I didn't have long enough bolts. But not strictly necessary if you have long enough bolts!

Mike
  Worked great for me too.  I had the all-thread laying around.  Thanks!

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 11:48am
That's exactly how I removed my axle shafts!   Well done!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 6:51pm
Oh yeah, I like that bolt idea.
Sometimes it's not so much the amount of force as it is the exact angle and continued steady pressure.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 7:20pm
I like that bolt idea, should be very effective.

They usually pop right out for me using a home made slide hammer which is pretty heavy, but I had some trouble getting them out of my CJ5. 

Sometimes you have to go at it from the other side by putting on a spare axle nut you don't care about getting boogered and giving the opposite axle a good whack or two with a BFH to start the bearing out on the other end. I will try this bolt idea next time I find one stuck.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply