Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 CJ2A
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2021 at 10:28pm
Its been a long year but I am still working on the cj2a.  Many hopes to get this on the road shortly.  I"ll try to post some more pictures as I can.  I just wanted to share a photo of a tool I made this last week.  Im currently rebuilding the transfercase and I ran up against the front and rear seals being too difficult to remove.  I tried to remove them with a screwdriver.  I scratched my head for a while and then after watching a few videos I built a tool to remove them.

If you notice there is thread on both ends of the turned collar.  That was a mistake when I assumed wrong on the ID of the seal.  Once I turned a new diameter it worked just fine.  O created a cap for the other end of the collar.  It has a hole with 1/2 inch thread for some all thread.  I welded the two pieces together and used a pipe wrench to turn the tool into the seal.  I needed a few taps to help start threading the tool into the seal.  Then with little effort the seal came right out.  No issues.

Now the rear seal was not quite so easy but I learned something.  On the rear I pulled the seal to the edge of the bore and it stopped.  I believe there is a small area of damage on the end from a tool and the seal wouldn't pull out past it.  Note to self review all the bores and deburr before I drive new seals in.  Just wanted to share.

-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 9:35pm
Well my jeep has been unchanged since last year.  I am planning to ensure I have everything in working order for this years FCT.  I need to find a tool box lid as my 2A never had once since I purchased it.  I'm looking into the spare tire/gas can mount for this year.  I have not decided if I will build one of the draw bar or pick up an M38 tailgate and hardware.  I also picked up some top bows and hope to follow in jpet's foot steps for some sort of top.  I've read through his post more times than I can count.  I didn't have one last year and it was still great.  I just don't want to get caught in the rain should it blow in.  I have sourced some canvas that is 12 oz and cheap as a trial.  If it works out I may spring for the 18 oz and I'll post pictures as I go. 
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2018 at 10:17pm
I've not updated in a little while.  I have been busy having fun.  I burned the midnight oil and then drove out to the FCT.  I don't think there is a single night I got more than a few hours sleep leading up to my departure for Colorado.  I had the generator tested by a local shop and it proved to be functional.  I rebuild the carburetor again.  I replaced the thermostat and drilled a hole to help with the normal burping issue.  I loaded the jeep up and put it on a trailer.  The only issues I had with the jeep was a clogged PCV and the timing needed to be advanced.  There was an initial overheating issue that was due to the timing.  It ran cool as a cucumber once the timing was advanced.  Once these things were sorted I had no issues on the trail.  Now I need to change all the fluids and work on a few maintenance items.  The one issue with the current draw was corrected with replacing my dimmer switch.  I still had the original headlight dimmer switch on the floor.  
-Gaffer
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 5:43pm
Have fun. I know that I spent many hours on my back dealing with my MB wireing. I got it going. I am having a few issues with the temp gauge and a fuel gauge. I know what the problem is. I do have 2 gas tanks, Both of them have gauges. I stuck my grimy paw up there and I can barely find the nuts that hold it to the dashboard. I want to beat on the automotive engineer that designed that brace.
uncamonkey
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 4:22pm
If you have a clip on ammeter you can put it on each wire in turn.  If a wire has current passing the meter will register the amperage.  here is a link (if it works) to the meter I'm referring to https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5W19F9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B06Y5W19F9&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=76Y93153HYYBXXQN7A5A&pd_rd_wg=YSf3C&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=Hifxv&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=a0d0b264-b831-11e8-8b29-77fe1a29c361
makes it easier to track down electrical shorts.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Check the voltage at the battery while running. My ammeter rarely moves over 0 if the battery is charged and no lights are running. You might be fine.

Thanks Smfulle,
I'll go back and look at it again this afternoon.  I think I have a current draw on the system since I noticed a small arc when I connected the battery terminal.

You got it, a spark is not good. You have a problem somewhere in the system. It is not fun as most everything runs through the circuit breaker on the back of the light switch. You have to pull every wire off of it and check out every wire to watch for a spark as you reconnect them.
uncamonkey
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 2:43pm

Check the voltage at the battery while running. My ammeter rarely moves over 0 if the battery is charged and no lights are running. You might be fine.

Thanks Smfulle,
I'll go back and look at it again this afternoon.  I think I have a current draw on the system since I noticed a small arc when I connected the battery terminal.
-Gaffer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 3:53am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 2:01am
I've got a rough idle and I realized the intake port for the vacuum wipers was wide open.  I had to have the choke on to keep it running.  I'm shut down for the rain tonight.  Looks like I have to sort out the generator as well.  Its not putting out right now.  I polarized it and for some reason its not showing on the ammeter.  I'll be digging into the wiring tonight.  Also need the full exhaust on it so its not disturbing everyone while I tune it.LOL
-Gaffer
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 4:13am
Oh, c'mon Stan, you know you want to!  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 3:14am
Hahaaaa...well I could have deleted it but you already quoted it!   

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 3:10am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Well, I've got Grandpa's Jeep all sanded and primed, ready for the first coat of color tomorrow.

Is that a prophetic quote of something you think I will say in the future? If so this proves you to be a false prophet.  Tongue
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 2:51am

I need some help on how to reply to multiple people with quotes in one reply.  I can't seam to figure that one out.

The key to the quotes are the bracketed [quote] boxes as long as they are there it will quote. I always try to edit out everything but the part that is important to the quote. Posts with pictures I always edit the picture out....just use the backspace key.

To me it makes the thread bless confusing than reposting 3 or 4 of the same picture in a thread...just saves space.

But once you know all that you shouldn't let it lead you to good natured pranks such as....

Well, I've got Grandpa's Jeep all sanded and primed, ready for the first coat of color tomorrow.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 2:29am

Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

great now I have a reason to get a lathe. I been wanting to get another one. Wife says I do t need one. All I need now is a broken bolt ant this thread. Thanks

I have that same illness where I can think that many more machines are required to put my jeeps together.  I found out about an auction in town from a friend and that was the end.  A few of the machines are made within a year or two of my jeep.  I think this makes them like family.  This is my reasoning anyway.  My wife will attest to the advanced status of my illness.  As for the broken bolt any large hammer can quicly put you in my camp. LOL

I'm trying something new.

I need some help on how to reply to multiple people with quotes in one reply.  I can't seam to figure that one out.

Hit the quote button, write your 2st response. Then select all and copy everything to your clipboard. Then hit the back button and go back to where you started. Hit the quote button on the next thing you want to respond to. 
Write your response. Then at the end paste in the text you copied from before. For more than two, do it all again.

Thanks Smfulle,  Well lets see here.
-Gaffer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 1:59am

Hit the quote button, write your 2st response. Then select all and copy everything to your clipboard. Then hit the back button and go back to where you started. Hit the quote button on the next thing you want to respond to. 
Write your response. Then at the end paste in the text you copied from before. For more than two, do it all again.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

great now I have a reason to get a lathe. I been wanting to get another one. Wife says I do t need one. All I need now is a broken bolt ant this thread. Thanks

I have that same illness where I can think that many more machines are required to put my jeeps together.  I found out about an auction in town from a friend and that was the end.  A few of the machines are made within a year or two of my jeep.  I think this makes them like family.  This is my reasoning anyway.  My wife will attest to the advanced status of my illness.  As for the broken bolt any large hammer can quicly put you in my camp. LOL
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Well done,love the bushing to center the drill.I can still learn something new.Thumbs Up

Thanks Gil.  I'm sure I saw that somewhere on here,....I just can't remember.
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The drill bushing is an excellent idea.  Did you insert a magnet into the hole to pull out any slivers?  Alternatively, maybe a shop vac?

No.  I drilled slowly and frequently pulled the drill out to wipe it off catching a lot of the swarf.  In the end I tapped a little and did the same until I was done.  I"m sure I had a few escape me but I like to think it was very little.  
-Gaffer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>