Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 CJ2A
    Posted: 06 Nov. 2015 at 10:25pm
I'm a new guy here but thought I might introduce my CJ2a to this page and let you know what I am working on.  Let me see if I can get this picture up....

This is a quite complete CJ2A that I picked up off ewillys that happened to be within about 30 min of my house.  I have some plans to use the cj and not really a resto.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2015 at 11:18pm
I wish ewillys would have stuff thirty minutes from MY house Cool

My wife will tell you different, lol.

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2015 at 11:55pm
What a cool looking jeep. I like the patina paint on thatπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2015 at 4:43pm
Here are a few more pictures.  I picked it up from a junkyard where they had purchased it along with some scrap.  I have wanted one for what must be decades and this little gem popped up.  It is still complete 6Volt system with remnants of the cloth wiring.  The keyed coil was still behind the dash.  It has oil change stickers from the 60s on the dash.  I mean this little gem was parked in a garage and forgotten for quite some time.

A little shot under the hood.

The dash with gauges

The color was originally a Luzon Red.  This is evident from everywhere I unbolt items from the jeep.  Here is the coil.

I am not really planning a restoration at this point.  I don't want this to be one of those jeeps that you don't want to use or scratch.  I've got a realistic plan and a future plan.  First is just to put the jeep together and drive.  I want to know the basic abilities of the early jeep.  This will remain 6 volt with flat head and tires.  Perhaps a roll bar at minimum.

The Fez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2015 at 5:25pm
Looking good. I'd say that you've found a nice little project that seems to have all the bits and pieces. You'll need to find a new lens cover for the tail light, and so it will begin...
Dennis Braam
North Vancouver, BC
1947 Willys CJ2A https://sites.google.com/site/willyscj2ajeep/
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2015 at 5:34pm
I put that piece on the shelf for now and just picked up a replacement tail lamp from Walck's.  I've pulled a little from the Vernco playbook and built some 1/0 battery cables and purchased an Optima as well.

RDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2015 at 5:37pm
A very nice jeep , this jeep merit to be a collection  jeep , nothing else .
In this case you will win money , in the other case you will loose money and you will destroy an very nice original jeep .

It is my opinion
Rj
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2015 at 6:55pm
Just realized I didn't post the passenger side.  This is the worst of the damage.  Typical of the spare on the rear corner.  I may repair at some point but not a priority right now.  I am looking to pick up an M38 tailgate with the reinforcements and move the spare and add a 5 gallon gas can.  I'll bolt the tailgate shut as the norm.

The bad corner.Shocked

It looks a little better in this picture than it really is.  The inner fender welds are broken to the body side outer.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2015 at 2:26am
Congratulations! Very nice looking Willys.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2015 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

I wish ewillys would have stuff thirty minutes from MY house Cool

My wife will tell you different, lol.

MB

My wife actually helped encourage me on this purchase.  Big thank you to her.  This and a 1971 jeepster commando.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2015 at 5:01pm
Thanks for the complement berettajeep.  

I am going to back up at this point to bring you up to current status.  I started this slow as I didn't want to spend any money where I don't have to right now.  To start this experiment I need to determine that the engine would work.  I disconnected all the wiring and put 12 Volts on the coil through a toggle switch.  I put a 12 Volt starter solenoid in line to the starter and a spare battery to see if it would fire.  I put a little starter fluid down the yet to be rebuilt carb and crossed my fingers.  Well to my amazement it fired.Clap

I decided it was now worth the effort to rebuild the carburetor.  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2015 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

My wife actually helped encourage me on this purchase.  Big thank you to her.  This and a 1971 jeepster commando.

...she got a sister? LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2015 at 8:35pm
Well the rebuild of the carburetor went very well.  I'll try to post some pictures.  The fuel pump was taken off the block for some reason at a previous time and I just ordered a new one from NAPA.  I replaced all the spark plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap and rotor.  I pulled the oil pan and cleaned all the sludge out and filled the crank case with brand new 30 weight.  I picked up a few gallons of ethanol free gas up the road from my house and dropped a rubber hose in it from the fuel pump.  I was pumped to see if this engine would run consistently.  The ignition was wired in the same way as I had previously and I hit the key again.  The engine started but would not idle.  I had to keep the rpms up by hand.  The newly rebuilt carburetor didn't disappoint and the engine was running smoothly Shocked, OK running a little rough but no bad sounds.  I was pleasantly surprised and scoured the engine bay for leaks and concerns.  Unfortunately I did find the leaks.  There was some coolant seeping and bubbling between the head and block.  More to come......

Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2015 at 2:33pm
Well I have pulled the head off the little guy and found that I have a Ford head on my Willys.  Kind of cool.  I picked up a few items like a new stud kit for the head as well as sending the head to be hot tanked.  I need some engine paint and really like the idea of an industrial grey paint for easy leak detection.  It looks like I have to pay more attention because the grey paint I wanted turned out to be silver.  Not really the kind of statement that I wanted to make but it keeps rust at bay just the same.

Here is a picture of the finished work on the head.

You can just make out the script F here under the oil filter mount.

I have not yet fired the engine but hope to in the next week or two.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 5:47pm
Hey, where did the pictures go?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2016 at 6:56pm
I moved some things around to organize my photobucket account.  I'll get this straightened out.  I'm stalled out right now with another project.  Need better tunnel vision.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 4:34pm
Pictures returned to previous folder.Smile
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 4:47pm
How close to the NW corner (the Shoals area) are you?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>