Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 7:02pm
VHT Makes a Lt Gray Paint in their Engine paint line (as well as a matching primer) Look for Ford Gray. Duplicolor also makes a good Lt. Gray Its called New Ford Gray. I'm used both and while they are a tiny bot different in shade they are both so close.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 7:22pm
Not too far really.  I'm just north of Birmingham.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

VHT Makes a Lt Gray Paint in their Engine paint line (as well as a matching primer) Look for Ford Gray. Duplicolor also makes a good Lt. Gray Its called New Ford Gray. I'm used both and while they are a tiny bot different in shade they are both so close.

I'll have to look into that.  I had a friend that used a grey paint that really looked good on the engine.  I also like the light colors to find leaks.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 7:33pm
Its been a while and I hope to bring this thread back to life.  Spent the last evening cleaning up the garage to prepare to get some work done.  I'm going to see about bringing the 2a just back mechanically and enjoy her as is for now.  No mods just bringing back to life.

Gaffer
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

I'm going to see about bringing the 2a just back mechanically and enjoy her as is for now.  No mods just bringing back to life.

Gaffer

Thumbs Up  I like that! (bolding mine Wink )   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:48pm
trial posting picture.  I'm rusty.

-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:55pm
I picked up 5 15 inch wheels from someone with an early cj5.  He wanted some new aluminum wheels.  They kind of hole air for now.  Thinking about some baby swampers when I finish the wiring.  I'll try and get a picture when I get home.
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:56pm
That should say hold air.
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:48pm
As stated earlier, (much earlier when I first posted ).  I am going 6 volt for now.  I have a Holley voltage regulator.  looks pretty rough from the outside.
The inside was remarkable clean.  I hope this works.
-Gaffer
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 11:07pm
Nothing wrong with a 6 volt system. Just make sure it has the proper wire gauge for 6 volts. Over the years people tend replace wires with whatever is handy. It is often smaller than the original wiring. Any wire repairs should be soldered, not just crimped. The other thing is good grounding. Make sure the battery ground cable goes to the engine, then there should be a ground cable from the engine to the chassis, and from the chassis to the body. Where each one if these connections is made, the metal should be clean and bright. Coat each connection with dialectric grease to enhance connectivity and ward off corrosion.

If you do all this, you'll be surprised how well the electrical system works.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:53pm
Thanks for the heads up.  I ordered a complete harness from Walcks.  The wiring was all original cloth insulation when I got the jeep.  No one had ever even put in a new wire.  Pretty cool.

-Gaffer

-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:57pm
I should have read your post more thoroughly.  I took a page from Vernco years ago and upgraded the battery cables including running the ground as you describe.  Hope to fire it off soon.Smile
-Gaffer
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:53pm
Great - You should have no problems!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 7:20pm
Well I am finding some time as of late.  I was working on bleeding the brakes last night.  I have some new tires that should arrive today or tomorrow.  I 'm trying to get my momentum back.  Here is just before I called it a night.  The brakes are a little spongy but nothing a little more bleeding wont do.  I'm thinking about trying to find one of those remote reservoirs to mount up at the firewall to improve adding fluid to the master cylinder.  I think I have seen what I need on my ford pickup truck.  Then add a hose down to the master cylinder cap.  Has anyone else tried that? 
-Gaffer
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 7:30pm

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I'll have to look into that.  I had a friend that used a grey paint that really looked good on the engine.  I also like the light colors to find leaks.

I too used the VHT engine enamel for the same reason- leak detection.

Edited by cjbilly - 28 Aug. 2018 at 7:32pm
1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 9:36pm
The engine looks great.  You have pertronics on that distributor?
-Gaffer
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2018 at 12:43am

The engine looks great.  You have pertronics on that distributor?

Thank you. Painted the tranny and transfer case the same color.
Yes..... along with the matching Flame-Thrower (epoxy filled) coil and 7mm wires. Working out great. Thumbs Up
1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 5:41pm
I finally got some new tires on the cj.  Kind of excited to get it started.  I can feel the momentum building.Big smile
-Gaffer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>