Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was a barn find in Maple Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2016 at 6:23am
Looks great.

I was in Maple Ridge this morning buying a parts washer I found on craigslist. I wish I had seen this yesterday I would have asked to come by and check it out.

Nice work.

Jon
15 Field RCA
Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2016 at 6:08pm
Very nice looking indeed and hope to see you out on the local roads soon.
Serial #106163 Body#106168 1947 CJ2A "SLOW TUG"
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 5:24am
looking forward to meeting up with you guys, not sure if you guys know but there is a vintage swap meet at the maple ridge fair grounds on apr 17,  i am always looking for parts and sometimes i get luckey, my son and I will be there early  to see what is there 
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 3:07pm
rebuilt the front knuckles and resealed and now the oil stayes in the hubs
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 3:11pm
i rebuilt the steering box and linkage so it should steer reasonably well
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 3:15pm
and now i have finished repairing the frame and all its missing parts the drive train is all back in place

Edited by shadow - 08 Sep. 2016 at 9:33pm
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 3:46pm
the jeep dident have a motor when i picked it up but i got luckey , a local scrap dealer had a willys motor out in the yard, it wasent siezed but hadent run in a long time.
after stripping it down and measuring everything up my find was a diamond in the rough.
the bore was standard and well within spec. and the crank was also standard, the only thing it needed was the exuast valves, they were badly pitted and the head had a hole in it and someone tried to plug it.
so i replaced the rod and main bearings with new old stock standard bearings ,replaced the valve guides and exuast valves and found a good used head ( early cast with no reinforcing ribs) and resealed it with new gaskets.
the colour i picked is based on what the winsor ontario jeep reman would have painted it, my research on the motor tells me this motor was torn  down and had hardened valve seats instaled and because it went through the rebuild dept it was repainted a sky blue.

Edited by shadow - 08 Sep. 2016 at 9:36pm
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 3:52pm
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 3:54pm
It took some time to free up the heat riser and position the spring and tab to work properly

Edited by shadow - 01 Aug. 2016 at 7:41pm
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 4:00pm
for the rad my core was pritty rotten but the tanks were in good shape, I drove over to fraser valley rad and had them look it over and they told me they can still get new cores for them , so a week later i now have a orignal rebuilt rad.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2016 at 11:05pm
NO  NO  NO That's far too pretty for off road use!! You must mix a little mud and splash on it! On a serious note, now that you have your steering all done up, I would recommend that tight steer for your steering box. I put one on both the 3B and the Jeepster and love them. Keeps the steering wheel from wandering.Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2016 at 3:11am
yes i have seen the tight steer on walcks sight and it is on my wish list and dont worry this cj will be used on and off road, whats the fun of having somthing like this and not using it for what it was built for
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2016 at 3:49am
this is what i started with and what it looked like
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2016 at 3:54am
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2016 at 5:27pm
just some more body work
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2016 at 5:28pm
and lots of holes to fill
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2016 at 5:33pm

Edited by shadow - 07 Sep. 2016 at 7:18pm
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2016 at 5:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>