Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was a barn find in Maple Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2018 at 11:23pm
Its been a while with being away on a holiday and coming back straight into Christmas, this was the first chance I have had to even look at the jeep, so I took the time today to clean up and then weld the rear floor to the riser so the tub is now one piece.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Smart move on the battery cables, body work looks fantastic(between you, Gil and a bunch of others my poor jeep starting to develop an inferiority complex ) By the way what is the small bracket on the pass side right before the bed(looks like it would be in the tool box) used for? Joe Wadoyado from the water, winter, wonderland.

At first I thought it was a support bracket and then I had seen a little trivia blurb that said that some jeeps had a drain that channeled the water from the tool box lid channel out the back of the floor riser but mine had no hole so I am not quite sure what its for, I still removed it from my old floor riser and installed it on my new one

On a 2A, the tool box is simply supported with this bracket.  On a 3A, they introduced a new lid and tool box design.  With the new 3A design came a built in rain gutter around the tool box opening.  This gutter would capture water and channel it out of this same bracket.  The water would exit out of a hole in floor riser.

This is one of the many upgrades one would find on the new and improved...AWESOME...CJ-3A.Big smile   
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 10:37pm
thanks there is a answer to a question i did not have a answer to, there is so many questions as to how and why but that is half the fun
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 12:59am
Originally posted by athawk11[/QUOTE athawk11[/QUOTE wrote:

On a 2A, the tool box is simply supported with this bracket.  On a 3A, they introduced a new lid and tool box design.  With the new 3A design came a built in rain gutter around the tool box opening.  This gutter would capture water and channel it out of this same bracket.  The water would exit out of a hole in floor riser.

[/ Thanks for the detailed info several of your posts have help explain many long standing "mysteries" like the tool box lids. To think I once thought a 47 and 48 where the same. I tend to agree late 482a and 3a's are the new and improved flatfenders, starting with the frame Thanks again Joe W

Edited by wadoyado - 03 Jan. 2018 at 3:02pm
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 6:18am
I was out working the little spot welder hard today spot welding the rear panel into place, I also experimented with a new weld through primer today as you can see the copper colour primer where i was spot welding.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 1:51am
I thought that color was an artifact of the light you were using.  Excellent job, BTW!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 3:51am
Made some good progress today with the tool box , side support and seat support. and the rear bow pocket, next is to weld in the spare tire support.

Edited by shadow - 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:06am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2018 at 9:53pm
I been following your built.You're putting a lot of pride in your work and it shows.Well done Andy Keep the pictures coming.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 8:05pm
Thanks Gil , after following your build you gave me inspiration for mine , i am also jealous that you are already driving and enjoying your work.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:12am
this is the seat support that i missed the other day and some of the seam sealer
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 4:50am
A couple of hours in the shop today welding in the rear tire support and what do you know I run out of welding wire so off to the local parts store so i can finish this little part
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 5:39am
A light day for the jeep with a quick trip to pick up a used pintle hitch from a local seller and a stop at the local auto parts store and picked up some bulb sockets that i adapted to fit in my swap meet found tail lights and then to measure and drill the mounting holes

Edited by shadow - 13 Feb. 2018 at 2:44pm
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 5:59am
very nice work.  What did you do to modify your taillights?  Got pics?  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 1:43pm
2A vs. 3A Tool Box question:
Shadow, your handwork and approach to the rebuild are really impressive. I'm glad it prompted discussion about 2A vs. 3A Tool Boxes--I'm going to need a toolbox for my 2A resto and am wondering whether the MD Juan repops are the 2A type, or 3A with the water gutter and revised lid.
Does anyone know?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

very nice work.  What did you do to modify your taillights?  Got pics?  
I removed the original bayonet mount from the body removed the internals from the new socket and soldered the new socket into the back of the tail light body. so i can use the 6v bulbs , I have 1 original bulb base but i wanted 2 tail lights and when i start on the wiring harness i will replace the wire into the tail light socket

Edited by shadow - 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:02pm
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

2A vs. 3A Tool Box question:
Shadow, your handwork and approach to the rebuild are really impressive. I'm glad it prompted discussion about 2A vs. 3A Tool Boxes--I'm going to need a toolbox for my 2A resto and am wondering whether the MD Juan repops are the 2A type, or 3A with the water gutter and revised lid.
Does anyone know?
Good question i haven't seen a MD tool box to compare but i am sure someone on the 2a page has seen one
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:19pm
I love this build. Nice job!
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 4:01pm
Really nice work!  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>