Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was a barn find in Maple Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:44pm
Great pics and I'd say very good looking work I believe you will have a great 46 when done. Steve
Steve
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:12am
Well with the sewing machine still out and having some extra material I decided to make a small storage pouch that attaches behind the drivers seat, I used the idea from a photo I seen with a canvas company and thought I can make that, now I still need to install some snaps but that is for tomorrow, this will be great to throw some water bottles or sunglasses or any other loose articles that you don't want blown around in the back of the jeep.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:18am
Originally posted by 92889 92889 wrote:

You need one more big square cushion in the back for Cooper.
Looks great.
Where do a place my upholstery order?

When you get a chance try my seats out I just used foam and if you like I can make some covers for you it was easier than expected.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:23am
I may take you up on that.
Or just get your pattern and technique and get my kids to help.
15 Field RCA
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 12:35am
Just finished up on my little storage bag for the back of the seat with some snap buttons and a couple of reinforcing stiches and back on.
I also just sprayed down the seats and bag with some Scotchgard to help when its a little wet out.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 3:55am
So what do you do when you cant leave the house, you draw inspiration from Jpet and his skills with a sewing machine and lots of good guidance from my wife Michele.
After having such good success with the seats I made some bows from his cad drawings and made a half cab duster to keep the hot sun or a light rain off us.
I may make some half doors too for the cooler days, I find my hip/ leg tend to get cold during the fall/ winter drives.
This was made from cotton duck just like the seats the only difference is I doubled up the material all around , with Jpets picture's as a guide I fashioned the top, retainers , going back to his post and looking at the details for the corners and stitching, this by no means a replacement for the full top but with our dollar so bad I cant justify ordering up the 10 piece yet, this will be good until then.

Edited by shadow - 11 June 2020 at 3:57am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 4:39am
Looks great
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 4:44am
Ok now I want one of those too!!
That looks fantastic!
15 Field RCA
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 5:40am
I have been having lots of fun with this, Michele has had a good laugh too , when I was attaching the rear panel I rolled the seam the wrong way and she said no take it apart we can make this look a lot better than that, this is where her skill helped lots , I think it took me an hour to pull the stitching out of that one run.

Edited by shadow - 11 June 2020 at 5:42am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 12:03pm
That’s looking really good Andy, you did a amazing  job on your seats and your half cab duster.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 1:09pm
That looks great! I've been thinking of doing the same with the way the dollar is. I just need to find a source for the canvas, where did you get your material?
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Brian3 Brian3 wrote:

That looks great! I've been thinking of doing the same with the way the dollar is. I just need to find a source for the canvas, where did you get your material?
the material and snaps we found at a local crafts store called Michaels
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 5:27am
picked up some common sense fasteners for the windshield frame and I was shorted 4 of the grommets so installed what I had until I can pick up some more to finish.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:20am
so I was able to finish installing the grommets and moved onto some old school waterproofing 
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:44am
What water proofing method is that?
I’m a bit younger than you.
15 Field RCA
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 5:47am
I used 2 parts beeswax 1 part linseed oil and 1 part turpentine, you slowly melt the beeswax in a double boiler or carefully on a old camp stove , once you melted the wax you slowly add the linseed oil and turpentine to the wax  stirring it all together ,, now this is very strong smell of the turpentine so you want to do this out side.
there are two ways to apply this to the canvas one way is you let the mixture cool and then rub it into the material and with a blow dryer or heat gun re melt the wax into the canvas the other is to apply it while its hot , it takes a couple of days for the smell of the turpentine to go away and it darkens the material but it works very good
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 5:25am
So i wanted to replace what i had for shifter boots, the trans was a old worn out rubber boot and a cut up glove for the T case and looking into the history mine could have come with leather.
I also asked a question on how they were stitched and other questions and after making my own seats and half cab I thought why cant I make my own boots too, so a little sourcing of some leather I made up some patterns with thin cardboard and my wife new sewing machine and away i go .
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2020 at 11:33am
Looks great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>