Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Pedal Wobble and bushings...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9HDLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2016 at 3:24am
Hey guys, I decided to fix my brake pedal arm slop after taking a look at the "kit" that Keith Layton managed to find at a swap meet.  I searched the internet and found just one place selling the kit for $125!  Yeah... I don't think so!

So today I headed to True Value and picked up a few things to make my own.  After a few trips, I ended up using 

1ea - 3/8" threaded rod cut to 9.25"
2ea - 3/8" nylon lock nuts
1ea - 1" ID galvanized pipe cap
2ea - 3/8" flat washers
1ea - washer from a shock absorber bushing kit (has the beveled edge)
2ea - 1/8" x 1.5" cotter pins (not necessary, but I thought I'd replace my old ones since they were brittle)

1) I started by cutting the pipe cap so that it was approximately 5/8" depth inside, measuring inside the cap. 
2) drilled a 3/8" hole in the center of the cap for the bolt to fit through. 
3) cut a section of the threaded rod to 9.25" length
4) removed the old nasty cotter pins and replaced with new, then ran a 1/2" diameter punch through the pivot shaft to bend the two cotter pins to the sides to allow the threaded rod to go through the pivot shaft. (Jeep's instructions say to use a screwdriver, but I found the punch worked better)
5) Put a nylon lock nut on one end of the threaded 9.25" rod, then a 3/8" flat washer, followed by the large beveled edge washer. (Beveled edge facing pivot shaft)  
6) then from the outboard side, run the threaded rod through the pivot shaft
7) place the pipe cap on the inboard side of the pivot shaft running the threaded rod through the hole that was drilled in the center of the cap. 
8) place a 3/8" flat washer then nylon lock nut on the inboard side of the threaded rod.
9) Tighten the assembly snug, then slightly back off so the pedal arms can move freely.
10) hit the grease zerts with some fresh grease.
11) That's it!  Whoo hoot! You just saved yourself from buying an overpriced $125 kit

As a side note, I am searching for a vendor that I can purchase a stainless steel end cap. I think stainless steel will hold up even better than the galvanized pipe cap, and I'd like to find one that is non-threaded 1" ID but still priced reasonably.  

I don't know how much demand there is for a kit like this, but i do have one extra that I fabricated.  If there's more demand I can make additional sets.  I think with materials, labor, and shipping I can send a kit to your door for about $30-35 using USPS priority mailer (in the USA). 

Shoot me a message if you'd like one. 

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 5:45pm
Hi k9handler:
Appreciated your post.  $35 is very reasonable.  Looks like a great solution to a problem common to old Jeeps.  
Like yourself went to the hardware store.  Looks like a fun repair giving it a try this weekend.
Thanks for sharing!
Bob
banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 12:06am
Thanks, K9HDLR!
I made one of your kits and no more brake pedal wobble.
( Used a 3/4 NPT cap so had to grind off the threads for it to fit over the end of the cross tube, but the depth of the cap was just over 1/2 inch, so I didn’t have to shorten the cap )

Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2021 at 10:29am
Great post!
Ok so I have the wobble.
Bolt to go through assembly, check.
Washers and lock nuts, check.
Shock washers, check.
Pipe cap, check.
Hole on the outboard clutch pedal side, err no hole!

Doesn’t look like the posted pictures.
Anyone got any ideas?

outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2021 at 8:00pm
Supposed to be a hollow tube and yours looks like a solid shaft. Maybe someone along the decades "fixed" it. I made one of these kits for my jeep and works great.
K9HDLR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9HDLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2021 at 8:09pm
Yeah, looks like it’s been replaced with a solid piece.  
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2021 at 9:07pm
sure don't look like a farmer fix..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
PGoodman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 12:00pm
Did you ever make additional kits?
Thanks
Paul Goodman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12