Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am disappointed no civilian Willys Models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am disappointed no civilian Willys Models
    Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 5:43am
I've looked off an on for years and it always disappoints me to never find a CJ-2 to CJ-3B plastic or even diecast model.

There's a dozen different makers of the MB a few GPW's and then a couple modified MBs. But to find even a 1/35th scale (I would really like a 1/24 or 1/25th scale) civilian Willys model is as far as I can tell impossible. Talk about missing a market.

This is like the wifes 67 mustang the only models or diecasts were for Fast backs when the vast majority of the 67 model year were coupes. SO all the coupe owners are without a model to represent their car.

Anyone know of any?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 6:43am
They are out there in 1:43 scale.

Matchbox and Tintin ....... with the Matchbox being the more detailed of the two.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 10:47am

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 11:40am
Mark,

When Chrysler went through their bankruptcy, they cancelled licenses for certain model companies, I don't recall which ones. Of course, you can't sell a model of a Jeep without a license. It used to be $5,000 a year for a license plus a percentage of sales. So you would obviously have to sell ALOT of CJ2A specific models to recover that cost. Plus of course tooling etc. That is assuming Chrysler would allow you to get a license for your product. You could be dead in the water before you even start. Way bigger market and more profit for Mustangs than for Jeeps.

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 15 Dec. 2015 at 11:42am
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 12:07pm
Search for Matchbox Models of Yesteryear.  It is 1/43 as Chad mentioned and very detailed, there was also a fishing version.  Also, if you can find the re release of the "Hogans Heros" Jeep model, it includes the grill and other parts to make it a CJ, with a little work.

Edited by Doug Timme - 15 Dec. 2015 at 12:09pm
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 3:19pm
Here is HotWheels version. LOL

Dinky Toys version;

I know I have more "Collectibles" ( There not toys LOL) but can't find pictures.

http://cj3b.info/Toys.html

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 4:43pm

If you look hard enough there are even CJ2a pickups (with alternative paint schemes) out there.....Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I've looked off an on for years and it always disappoints me to never find a CJ-2 to CJ-3B plastic or even diecast model.  . . .  Anyone know of any?

Hi Mark W:

You skipped the CJ-2A jeep so I won't address those, and I'm not familiar with plastic CJ-3B models.  But in 1945 California Moulders, Inc., Los Angeles 11, California, produced plastic models of the 1944 CJ-2 jeep named the "Agrijeep".  These first 20 CJ-2 civilian jeeps can be identified by their spare tire mounted mid-body on the passenger side, as faithfully reproduced in the plastic models below. These CJ-2 models came in a variety of colors, and the red and white and blue and white model pairs shown below have opposite colored hood, bodies, tailgates and tires. I have yet to find the complimentary models to the blue and yellow and white and green plastic CJ-2 jeeps.  These very first plastic models of "The New" Civilian Jeeps are not easy to find, but over the decades I have collected the ones shown here. Enjoy!

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

zammis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zammis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 7:28pm
Dear Fred,

I have just joined this forum specifically to ask you whether you have any info about "California Moulders, Inc., Los Angeles 11, California". Besides, I have a 1944 GPW, but I have a keen interest in all Jeep models.

I have both the "the Scale Model Plastic Jeep and "the “new” CIVILIAN JEEP, a plastic Jeep" in my collection, including the boxes.

However, neither the toys, nor the boxes are marked. I am aware of the frequent references to California Moulders and I appreciate the relevant page on the CJ3A website (https://www.cj3b.info/Toys/CJ2Toys.html, but I have never seen any solid info about the company.

Should you have any information about California Moulders, please let me know.

Thanks and best regards
zammis

Post Reply Post Reply