Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First timer!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2016 at 8:20pm
Russell, where in Vancouver are you? I'm in Hazel Dell, just curious, nice looking Jeep you got there!
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 2:05am
Made some progress! First the motor finished rebuild, painted and mostly together.

So now the hard part.. sigh… took the front off and can now see what’s what on the front end. Cut the brush guard off for better access to pull engine. Looks like the PO had cut the Front Cross Member Tube off and welded in a flat angle iron piece.  The two vertical were used to hold the mustang radiator in place.  The odd thing is the one thing that really bugs me is the battery tray. They raised it by a couple of inches???

I would like opinions. The angle iron seems to have held. Should I have a Cross Member Tube welded in?

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 2:32am
Your engine looks great! Nice.

If originality is the goal, tube it. If not important, and the current set up is solid, leave it be.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 9:41pm
I agree. If you want it to be as factory as possible, then you will want to replace that with the proper tube.

For me, if it is functional, I would use it as is. But then again, I am not restoring my Willys, I have no use for a "Trailer Queen". When I find a rig that is so original that it really deserves to be restored to factory specs, I find a buyer who will do that. Then I use that $$ to buy an old "junker" for me to modify as I wish.
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2016 at 1:54am
Thanks! good advice. its always temping to make it original but this CJ is neither mint or original.
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2016 at 4:40am
Got the engine out and gone. Turned out the transmission was shot. I believe the Thrust Gear Spacer? was spinning and had worn into the case. Hope this make sense? There was a lot of water in the oil, rust etc. and a couple of the gears were really, really worn. T-case was fine.  Cleaned up the wires, frame and firewall. repainted etc.
I'll pick up the transmission on Monday and begin the slow process of putting it back together.

48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 4:37am
I am still taking it apart. Found a good cj3a frame and will transfer it to that. I have a couple of questions.
I took the old (apparently  VW) seat out and put a seat frame that i picked up in it place to see how it fits. It seems too long? The hole for both the feet seems to be about two inches short on both the left and right front. the back seems to be about right but the PO welded the hole shut, any ideas? do i have the wrong seat frame?

My second question is does anyone have a picture of their floor section? I am not sure where the fuel line goes or where the straps that hold the tank mount.  The PO move the tank to the back where back seat goes. I will be taking the old brackets out next.

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 10:25am
You most likely have a  CJ3A seat frame. They were longer and the wheelhouses were moved back. The original gas tank had a fuel outlet and drain plug that located in matching sized holes in the drivers floor.  A hole saw should remedy that for you.  Make a paper template of your gas tank bottom and then transfer the locations to your floor.  On the seat, I usually fix them by cutting the tube , lengthening or shortening it and a piece of pipe as a slug inside to span the cut. I also drill some holes on each side of the cut, and plug weld through the tube of the seat to the solid pipe inside. The gas tank hold down strap had U shaped brackets welded to the side ahead of the filler hole, and another welded to the transmission tunnel. Maybe someone here has a junk tub they can cut them out for you. Your engine is looking good. Fire engine red! They say the red car always wins--------Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 4:48pm
Leaker is right....3A seat frames are too long and won't work in a 2A tub without modification. With the limited view of your photo, the seat frame does look like a 2A, but a photo of the entire seat would help.

In your photo, the leg appears to be in approximately the correct mounting position. Here is a photo of the tranny hump showing the position of the original mounting hole.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 5:06am
Nice progress so far and a solid looking Willys.
Thanks for the pics
Phil
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 5:44am
athawk, your photo helped a lot. i felt under the floor and the nut is there, they just welded over the hole. If i move the seat over toward the passenger side some more, it should fit.
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 1:38am
Picked up a CJ3a frame, $100! took a wire wheel to it. I also POR15'd and painted it. Working on moving things over to it. got the axles in, motor next.

I have to weld the radiator mounts to the crossmember.

BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 1:50am
nice jeep... enjoy the ride
Jim
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2016 at 3:55am
I found a donor tub that had a (mostly)  better quarter panel and patched it in place.

I had a neighbor help with the welding.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2016 at 5:16am
Progress is looking good. It's good to see you got the sickness the rest of us have
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2016 at 6:30am
I know, this was supposed to be a 'quick' project. 
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 4:29am
Wow its been a while since the last update. Here is the quarter panel and  wheel well in place.

After the quarter panel was welded in I sent it to the Sandblaster, got the tub done for $300. Working on the floors and hat channels now.
48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 3:16am
Been busy the last few weeks.
Here is the new floors and hat channels in, also replaced steps.

side view, working the back floor. I will do my best to get it as straight (flat) as possible. There is no rust, it's just bent and sagging. Also, the replacement floor seems expensive. 

Edited by 48CJ2 - 19 Dec. 2016 at 3:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>