Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'42/'47 Rebuild Project in Tsawwassen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 53>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2019 at 2:34am
I had a bit of free time today so I hoped to finish sandblasting the tub. I was doing it inside the garage and it was raining out but I thought it would be ok. I have determined that you can’t really reuse the sand. I was able to run the sand through about 4 times but I guess it got damp and the blaster started jamming up. So I gave up. I took it all apart and cleaned out all the wet sand. I’m about 1/2 way so I’ll buy some more sand and finish it off another time. When it works, it works really well. But when it jams up it’s really frustrating. Live and learn.
15 Field RCA
1988YJ7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1988YJ7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 2:19pm
Seriously! Tampons. That never occurred to me. I love this page!
Matt Miller
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2019 at 1:35am
I snuck in to the shop this afternoon with the intention of attaching the fuel filler collar. It is missing from my tub but I harvested one from the donor. Anyhow, I noticed some pinholes in the skin to the right of the filler hole. I tried chasing the holes but no luck. So I put in a patch. All better now. The sandblasting reveals all.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2020 at 8:00am
I’m about ready to throw in the towel on home sandblasting.
Just had another go at it. Fresh sand, dual moisture filters. Air drawn from inside the garage not outside. 

It ran superb for about 40 min then moisture took over and it gummed up. I have a lot done but have plenty more to do to get it to where I want it.

I think the next step is to remove as much of the remaining paint and rust with a grinder and wire wheel, and finish up the tight corners with the sand blaster on a dry day.

I probably should have started with that strategy but I thought it would go much smoother.

I think the biggest issue is simply climate. The air is just too moist and the compressor draws it out and the filters can’t keep up. South west British Columbia in the winter is very damp. We are only 90min up the road from Seattle.

I am definitely painting in the middle of summer.
15 Field RCA
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2020 at 7:18pm
Time to insulate that shop and add an air conditioner/heater. That will dry it up and help limit rusting. At least that's the excuse I would use. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2020 at 7:23pm
I have a similar IR 2 stage 60 gallon compressor. Perfect for a 1 man shop. Mine is close to 15 years old and still running well. You are doing a bang up job. Thanks for all the photos and ideas. Can't wait to see it done. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 12:59am
Sandblasting and painting are a summer time activity for me here in the PAC NW. Does your compressor cycle or does it run the entire time you’re using air? Even the best water traps will struggle with that. How much distance is between your compressor and the water trap? 

I prefer to chemically strip paint and sandblast nooks and crannies. Be careful blasting large panels as the sand will harden the metal. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:21am
You’re doing amazing work Jon,what I did to fix my water problem in my air line was to installed about 18 feet of copper pipe between the compressor to my water filter. I found it made a big difference.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 6:08am
Giles,

How does the copper pipe help with moisture?
I have not heard of this but I’m open to any ideas.

Thanks

Jon
15 Field RCA
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 3:10pm
Hi guys.  Enjoy following this thread.  Thanks for all of the good work and ideas.  Does the copper tubing help cool the air allowing the moisture to condense some before it gets to the filter?  Is there also some kind of drain valve in the line ahead of the filter?

1947 CJ2a #155307
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by 92889 92889 wrote:

Giles,

How does the copper pipe help with moisture?
I have not heard of this but I’m open to any ideas.

Thanks

Jon

Distance is your friend when setting up an air compressor. The farther away you can place the hose connection the better. Also always try to slope piping back towards the compressor's tank so that condensate runs back to the tank or drain. Copper may transfer heat better than galvanized or plastic pipe to generate more condensate, but it's too expensive for me!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:36pm
Jon I posted in general discussion what I did with the copper line to help with condensation.Otto is right about the farther you put the water filter from the compressor the better. I also have a filter at the sand blaster tank as you do.If the compressor runs a lot it will create a lot of heat in the line and it will make condensation so the farther the air filter the better.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:41pm
After a bit of googling I found a good link here on a page about powder coating (I will not be powder coating) ...

There is a good video here showing one being built.

I’ll price it out today but I want to end up with something like this. 
Picture taken off the internet.

The theory is that copper radiate heat and cool better than rubber. The long length of pipe allows the compressed air time to cool and condense allowing the moisture to come out. Gravity pulls the moisture down. By the third ‘cycle’ about 90% of the moisture is out. There are ball valves at the bottom of each trap that you drain each day (or more). Then add the desiccant filter to the end of the system and run your rubber hose from there.

I can justify it by telling myself of all the sandblasting that I have left to do. And I want to paint as well. (And not just the jeep). 
I have not soldered in 30 years but hopefully that won’t be an issue.

Edited by 92889 - 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:48pm
15 Field RCA
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

You’re doing amazing work Jon,what I did to fix my water problem in my air line was to installed about 28 feet of copper pipe between the compressor to my water filter. I found it made a big difference.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 12:58pm
I got my water removal radiator mostly assembled recently.
I just need to wait for my flex hose to arrive so I can attach it to the compressor and pressure check it.

15 Field RCA
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 1:38pm
Looks good!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 2:00pm
I love simple... looking forward to your take on how well it works Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 1:32am
Good news!!

I got the radiator mounted and connected. Pressure tested to 135PSI. It appears that you can learn to solder by watching YouTube.

I just need to get the shelves notched out and reinstalled. 

With any luck I will be sandblasting again next week.

The fittings start as 1/2” out of the compressor. The radiator is all 1/2”. The filter and regulator step down to 3/8”. The 2 quick connects at the end of the line are 3/8” and 1/4”.

Hopefully this solves my moisture problem.
15 Field RCA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 53>