Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'42/'47 Rebuild Project in Tsawwassen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 53>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2020 at 8:56pm
That should work and it’s looking good.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 11:54pm
So the water separator worked really well. The trick is to release the water often and take a 10 minute break every so often to let everything cool down. It may work better if I point  a fan at it but that may be overkill. 

Anyhow I got the tub totally stripped yesterday. 95% of it with the sandblaster. It ran flawlessly for about 4 hours straight. I was able to sift and run all my crushed glass through at least 3 times. But now it’s like powder and not of much use anymore. I think I got my monies worth there. The remaining flat bits I cleaned today with a grinder using a stripping disc and wire wheel. The sand blasting has revealed a few areas that need a bit more attention. So I’ll be doing more metalwork next week.

I did get 2 more cross members attached under the bed. I had 2 made up but only replaced one. Andy had a spare from his build. So I figured what the heck and put them in. The floor should be much stronger now and they would have just got put in a corner of the shop had I not installed them.

Again I have to comment on how great the rotisserie is. It allowed all kinds of access for the sandblasting and will be equally helpful when it comes time to paint. Hopefully I will have the tub in primer by the end of next week. It’s in a heated garage so I’m not too concerned with flash rust but I don’t want to leave it too long either.

Edited by 92889 - 23 Jan. 2020 at 11:58pm
15 Field RCA
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 4:16am
Nice work. It’s a huge commitment to strip all the paint from a project during the winter months without inviting rust.  Get the best epoxy primer that you can afford and you’re on your way. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 1:15am
I’m getting really close to having the tub in primer. I had hoped to prime this weekend but sandblasting has revealed a few spots that need attention. So I put 3 patches in today. I will do a couple more tomorrow.

I was almost going to let the patches slide but I knew that I would regret it as soon as the paint went on. A couple extra days at this stage of the build really makes no difference and will end up with a better result in the end.

I still need to try get some dents out before I get the primer on.

I’ll be using Endura 3:1 epoxy primer.
I used it on the frame and I am happy with the results. 

Edited by 92889 - 27 Jan. 2020 at 1:19am
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 1:17am
I believe I got the last patch in today.
Now I realize why some people name their jeeps “Patches”.

Just some grinding and hammering to do tomorrow and hopefully I’ll get the primer on.

Homemade parts, drivers side seat catch.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 6:35am
OK ... last patch is in... I hope...
My friend Ken came by to help today. The guy is a mechanical / sheet metal wizard. I had asked him over to help with any final metal work on the tub prior to painting. We found one last bad spot in the right rear wheel well. The support was actually corroded. So we cut out a section of it and rebuilt it in 3 pieces. That was a tricky fix. It’s ugly, but will never see the light if day. And now it’s solid so I feel good about that. We then went on to do a lot of hammering and some heat shrinking to get some unevenness out of some metal panels. I’ll still plan on putting a skim coat of body filler on to finish off the body work. I think today’s efforts will go a long way to having a better looking jeep. Again I’m not going for museum or car show quality, but I am trying to get it the best I can doing the work myself as much as possible. Yes it would have been way less hassle to take it to a body shop ( I could have just bought a fully restored jeep for that matter) but that would defeat the whole purpose of the project... which is to rebuild the Jeep myself. 

Edited by 92889 - 29 Jan. 2020 at 6:38am
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 9:51pm
We did some heat shrinking too to get the high spots down and to stop the metal from ‘oil canning’.
It looks bad but trust me it’s much straighter.

15 Field RCA
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2020 at 12:13am
That fantastic metal work......... Looking great
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2020 at 9:59pm
I’m waiting for one more bar to be fabricated to go under the tub. Then I can prime the tub and start with the **very light coat of body filler** to finish it off. Don’t judge. It’s not going to have a 1/2” everywhere I just need to smooth out some of the more obvious imperfections. 

In the mean time I tidied up some other stuff. The radiator I got back from Fraser Valley radiators has started to rust. So I removed it, cleaned off the rust and gave it another coat of paint. Hopefully better paint than the rad shop used.

I also dug out the oil filter that Andy brazed for me to seal the minor leak at the bottom. I cleaned it up and sprayed it black as well. I did put another oil filter on that I acquired but it’s smaller and I really prefer the look of the fatter oil filter.

Andy also gave me a Carter fuel filter so I went to the parts store and ordered some plumbing parts to get that installed.

Plenty to do to keep me busy while I wait for the tub bed hat channel to be fabricated. I am really tempted to get my own finger brake but just can’t justify the cost. It would be a nice tool to have in the shop though.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 2:35am
I got the oil filter reinstalled today. I’m much happier with it. I’m sure they both work equally I just like the look of this one more. 
I made a few trips to the parts store for fittings as I tried to figure the best way to mount the Carter fuel filter. I had the epiphany to get the fender out of the attic and hold it in place to make sure the filter and lines fit properly. Everything was going well untill I kinked the steel fuel line that goes from the pump to the filter. 🤬!!
So I went back to the parts store and they were sold out. That was a good time to pack it in for the day. But progress none the less.

I used the wrong channel in my steel line bender and I kinked it ! 🤬

Edited by 92889 - 07 Feb. 2020 at 5:56am
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 4:21am
Epoxy primer is on the tub. Woo hoo!!!
It went on really well, and I’m super happy with the results. It feels like a real milestone.

I will be applying some body filler starting next week to the exterior sides. Not going for perfection but it does need some attention. I will not be putting any filler on the bed or wheel well sides. 

I had to quickly clean the HVLP guns after painting so I spent 2 hours today taking all 3 of my paint guns apart and giving them a proper clean. All ready for next time.

15 Field RCA
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 1:05pm
Looking great!
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 8:48pm
Fuel filter is on.
Thanks again to Andy Fortier (Shadow) for giving it to me.
He is my flat fender Yoda. 🙂

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2020 at 11:04am
Not much to report this week.
I got a new gasket from summit parts for my carter fuel filter. The original one was rock hard.
I stopped in at an antique store in Blaine Wa yesterday and found this beautiful steel ammo box. Hoping to make it in to a lock box or trunk for the jeep. Not sure how though but it was too nice to pass up.
My sister delivered the vacuum wiper motor from Seattle that I found online for free. I think it’s from a 50’s Willys pickup but I’m hoping I can adapt it to make it work. Price was right so it’s worth a try.
Project is on hold while I rebuild a fence and a shed.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 9:25pm
I got my fenders back from the sandblaster yesterday.. I also took the toolbox in to have the rattle can primer removed. I’m going with epoxy everywhere. $75 for all 3 pieces. Much less hassle than stripping them myself.
I have a bit of sheet metal repair to do on them but they are actually in really good shape.

15 Field RCA
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 12:26am
Love your attention to detail and doing a high-quality job. What epoxy paint brand are you using?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 2:28am
Thanks LR47

I’ll be using Endura 3:1 epoxy primer.
I used it on the frame and I am happy with the results. 

15 Field RCA
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 3:45am
Thanks, I was unfamiliar with the Endura brand. Canadian HQ but they have a U.S. distributor so should be available down here in the lower 48.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 53>